Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
ohmytodd OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Barkbusters Storm install question

Howdy!

Well, 3 weeks after securing my '06 f650gs the farkling has begin in earnest. Last night I fitted a set of Barkbusters and I was a little taken aback at how poorly the Storm plastics fit over the aluminum bars. It seems like the holes for the inner most screws aren't drilled deep enough, so the plastics just kind of rattle around and don't fit tightly to the bars at all (I used some rubber washers as a temporary fix). Is this normal? I was thinking I could just drill the holes deeper and tighten down those little screws but wanted to ask if that was an odd thing to have to do before I do it.

Related, I scored a used tall Wunderlich shield that's arriving Monday. Should I be concerned about being able to lock my steering column? I know some of the other shields out there pose no problem, but this one seems little wider at the base. It will be what it will be I suppose, but I'd like to be mentally prepared for a dremeling session if it comes to that.

Thanks!
ohmytodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
MATT0404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I just installed these on my F800 without any fitment issues. I don't know if it's the same for the f650 but you're only supposed to use one set of the pre-drilled holes for the retainer that goes over the aluminum bar on the inside of the guards. Check your instructions and make sure you're using the right set. On my F800 I only used the outer most set along with the one screw on the outside of the cover near the bar mount. My guards are very secure.

MATT0404 screwed with this post 05-01-2014 at 04:42 PM
MATT0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,789
I have Storms and had no issues like you describe. Perhas you should give them an email or call?
Old 05-02-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmytodd View Post
Last night I fitted a set of Barkbusters and I was a little taken aback at how poorly the Storm plastics fit over the aluminum bars. It seems like the holes for the inner most screws aren't drilled deep enough, so the plastics just kind of rattle around and don't fit tightly to the bars at all (I used some rubber washers as a temporary fix). Is this normal? I was thinking I could just drill the holes deeper and tighten down those little screws but wanted to ask if that was an odd thing to have to do before I do it.

I know what you're describing here... I would not drill on the bars - shorten the screws slightly instead. (or keep the washers)

Enjoy the new bike

DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
ohmytodd OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thanks folks. I was able to wedge a little rubber from an old inner tube up between the bars and plastics and that seemed to snug them up well enough. I suppose I could also just drill a couple of small holes in the storms and cable tie them. I'll be reaching out to the manufacturer as well.
ohmytodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #6
MATT0404
Gnarly Adventurer

Sounds like you might be talking about #5 screw in this illustration?

If so, those are self-tapping screws that require a bit of force when screwing into the aluminum.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:49 AM   #7
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT0404 View Post

If so, those are self-tapping screws that require a bit of force when screwing into the aluminum.
^^ This.
You don't need to use any kind of wedge or drill holes. When I installed Barbusters on my TE630, I had the same thing happened ... but I just kept tightening the screws and they went all the way in.
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:05 AM   #8
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT0404 View Post

That is a different design. Storms have the self tapping screw going into the bar at the inboard mounting and a two screw bracket that fits into the Storm guard at the outer end - the position of which is dependent on your application.

I never encountered any problems fitting mine - nice and snug, it sounds like a manufacturing fault on the op's.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #9
MATT0404
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
That is a different design. Storms have the self tapping screw going into the bar at the inboard mounting and a two screw bracket that fits into the Storm guard at the outer end - the position of which is dependent on your application.

I never encountered any problems fitting mine - nice and snug, it sounds like a manufacturing fault on the op's.
My Storm guards are the same as you describe and fit nice and tight. This illustration is just for reference and may not suit his particular application. It was just a visual to see if #5 was the screw he was having difficulty with. I have a feeling, based on his description, that he felt the screw was bottoming out when it really just needed to be seated with some elbow grease.

MATT0404 screwed with this post 05-05-2014 at 10:21 AM
MATT0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #10
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,411
If your fitment is similar to the photo below, then the outboard attachment is the plastic "bridge" behind the aluminum spar.