User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
MarcParnes OP
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 434
BMW ComfortShell Jacket and Pants Review

When my wife and I arrived in Germany for a week long pre-ride before our scheduled Beach Tour it was raining like hell and cold. We figured we take a ride down to Garmisch and visit the European BMW rally which was in full swing. The weather was threatening but we were both sick of sitting around the hotel waiting for it to clear. It stayed dry until we were just getting ready to leave the rally and then the skies opened and it poured. We both have First Gear Kilimanjaro jackets and Road Gear pants which have kept us dry in the past so we figured the hell with it and took off. Bad idea! We both got soaked. Our previously waterproof gear leaked like the proverbial sieve.

Once we got back to the Munich area we decided to go into the city and visit the BMW dealer and see what we could come up with in the way of waterproof gear. I had looked into their Streetguard suit before but it's without vents and obviously built for colder temps than what we experience in SoCal so I ruled that one out. The suit I did have some interest in was their ComfortShell gear. They advertise it as being for warmer temps and totally waterproof. They also have this advertisement comparing the material to a pine cone of all things. Its supposed to close up it structure when its cold and open when its hot. Sounds like hype to me Anyway, I bought a full suit for myself and of course Janie had to have one as well even though our yearly trip to Europe is pretty much all the riding she gets to do. What are you going to do? Arguing gets nowhere so two suits it has to be.

We went for black rather than the blue alternative. I figured the black will get dirty enough no less what the blue would end up looking like. The suit comes with full protection including a full built in back protector. Usually I don't like BMW protectors as the previous ones I've had have been way too stiff and uncomfortable. These are amazing. I can't even feel them including the back piece. The jacket has four large vents, two in the front and two in the back. The material is kind of stretchy and really comfortable. Not stiff at all. All the zippers including the pockets are rubberized and waterproof. The front closure features two zippers, one smaller inner one and a larger outer one. There is a humongous inner jacket pocket as well which works great for passports, camera, etc.

The first two days of the Beach Tour were soakers and very cold. We both wore liners under the jackets and besides being dry as a bone were warm as toast. Its kind of funny, but when you have good gear that you trust isn't going to leak riding in the rain becomes a non-issue. Living in SoCal I don't do a lot of riding in the rain so this was really kind of fun. Not a drop came through and there were times it rained so hard you could hardly see the center line. By the third day as we entered into Italy via the Dolomites we passed under what must have been some invisible weather front. The rain stopped and it got HOT! I was riding a '07 GS with computer and saw 38C (100F) plenty of times on the display. I'm used to riding in heat and usually dread it having crossed the desert plenty of times during the summer months. Now this is the unbelievable part, I never got uncomfortably hot. This has never happened before regardless of the gear I've had on. I have no idea how they do it but as long as we were moving you could feel air bleeding through the fabric not keeping us cool maybe but we weren't hot either. Maybe this pine cone crap is for real! I asked Janie multiple times if she was getting overheated and each time she responded that she was fine. Now that's is a real first! You know, either too hot or too cold is the norm for plenty of women and she isn't any different. She'll always tough it out regardless but to have her actually be comfortable in both cold temps without her Gerbings (the socket was being used for the GPS) and in 100F+ is something special.

This stuff ain't cheap but then nothing is with BMW on it so no big surprise. If you're looking for a suit that works in cold and hot and is waterproof and fully protected and comfortable this one will do the trick. It did for us anyway.

Marc
BMW Wheel Balancer and Tools
A life of bikes
MarcParnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:51 PM   #2
Lochlyn_Deckard
Dex Moto(naut)

Oddometer: 989
Damnit why is this jacket calling to me like a freakin' Siren? The true all-season jacket is getting closer and closer. Can't... resist... the... I can feel all that money leaving my pocket. Fancy technology is never cheap. Then again is anything BMW makes not expensive? The men's pants are $455 MSRP and the men's jacket is $675.00! Yikes. I hope that Olympia gets some "science" into their gear soon.

Thanks for the nice review.
Lochlyn_Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:01 PM   #3
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,263
Pix man. We need pix! Pix of the armor (is it the same as the Rally armor?). Pix of the vents and pics of the fit.

Get hopin' man! Get hopin'!

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:10 AM   #4
MarcParnes OP
Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-K
Pix man. We need pix! Pix of the armor (is it the same as the Rally armor?). Pix of the vents and pics of the fit.

Get hopin' man! Get hopin'!
Take a ride over to Seaver's. They have it in stock.

Marc
A life of bikes
Old 08-08-2007, 10:57 AM   #5
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcParnes
Take a ride over to Seaver's. They have it in stock.

Marc
Nope. Not unless Jim changed his mind about ordering them and they arrived in the last week.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #6
MarcParnes OP
Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-K
Nope. Not unless Jim changed his mind about ordering them and they arrived in the last week.
I originally saw them there in June. Maybe he sold them out. In any case, Long Beach had them as well in both colors.

Marc
A life of bikes
Old 08-08-2007, 06:55 PM   #7
zooomart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Thumb BMW Comfort Shell pics pants and jacket, pads

The pictures are posted at
http://public.fotki.com/zooomart/bmw-comfort-shell-m/

Great Jacket and pants !!!
zooomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:04 AM   #8
iugradmark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Sizing Question

Any help on sizing would be appreciated. May have to order as local dealer does not carry these.
iugradmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:44 PM   #9
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooomart

The pictures are posted at
http://public.fotki.com/zooomart/bmw-comfort-shell-m/

Great Jacket and pants !!!
why is that we have to go to some forum to get real world info on shit for sale? description in this thread is great. pictures are BETTER. You'd think you were the BMW marketing team.
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:40 PM   #10
zooomart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
why is that we have to go to some forum to get real world info on shit for sale? description in this thread is great. pictures are BETTER. You'd think you were the BMW marketing team.
For me, it is just some sort of latent guilt. Dropping that much cash requires facts and time to to work it through. Most dealers I have visited don't stock this jacket/pants. BTW the Jacket is 110 and the pants are size 46.
zooomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:15 PM   #11
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

For me I was torn between the Comfortshell (or even the Streetguard) and the R2P. I tried to find someone in SoCal (didn't try Long Beach, go figure) from Los Angeles to San Diego and struck out.

If I can't wear it to try it on I just won't buy it. Gear has to fit right or it really isn't worth much.

The R2P won by default.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:07 AM   #12
Peka
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,999
This sounds just like what I've been looking for!

I just have one question:

Can you put the pants on without removing boots? I have Oxtar TCS and some Rossi 811 touring boots. I sometimes wear my safety boots to work too, but usually the Rossi's as they have velcro and zipper to get on/off so are much easier than the safety boots (laced). My current pants won't go on or off with boots on.

If so, this is my perfect suit!
Peka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:45 AM   #13
McBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Just bought the pants and jacket for the winter months. Plan on layering for different cionditions this fall and winter. So, how do all of you who have had this kit for all 4 seasons like it?
McBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:32 PM   #14
McBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBike
Just bought the pants and jacket for the winter months. Plan on layering for different cionditions this fall and winter. So, how do all of you who have had this kit for all 4 seasons like it?

Bump
McBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:57 PM   #15
RockinXJ
gettin the hang of it.

Oddometer: 175
What happened to the First Gear stuff?

You stated the KIllimanjaro jacket and Overpants worked well before. What happened I wonder? I ask because I have the same and after two years of no problems today I was out toolin around and the rain was heavy. When I got home My pants were drenched under my Overpants. I have washed them a few times so I am wondering if I have ruined them or can I treat them to regain the waterproofing? Any ideas?