Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2003, 03:25 PM   #1
Linzi OP
Crazy Plott Lady

Oddometer: 15,438
Talking Lindsay does GA/NC/TN...and some of Valdumpster.

Since I'm basically a bum and don't yet have a job (although I AM looking!), I met up with my buddy, Jeff Little, from the Ducati List for two days of some nice mid-week mountain riding. Jeff rides a Ducati 996 and was foolish enough to let me give it a spin.

At any rate...I'll try to make this a ride report that doesn't totally stink.

I left Valdosta very, very early on Wednesday morning in order to meet Jeff at TWO by noon. In this shot, it looks much lighter outside than it actually was. That's my roomie's boyfriend's bashed up car behind my bike. I tried to get the smashed-up front-end in the shot, but it didn't work out. I thought insurance was used to fix a wrecked car? Retards. And, yes, I did pack everything for my two days in that one, tiny tank bag. Yay for me!

The ride took a bit longer than planned, and I stopped by Moto Britalia in Woodstock, GA (near Atlanta) to get a tinted visor and let Jeff know I was running a bit late. He was running late, as well, and guessed he'd be in Suches around 1. I got lost with a really retarded detour through Jasper, so I ended up in Dahlonega around 1:30. From there, I hauled ass up 60 towards TWO. But, the sky was clear, and I decided to stop for a picture. Being that is was a Wednesday, I had the place to myself.

On 60, I got stuck behind the mowers which were shooting freshly cut grass all over the road. Not pleasant. I finally passed and ended up at TWO around 2:05. Just under the buzzer for a TWO burger. Damn. Jeff was nowhere to be seen, so I walked around a bit and took a few pictures, having nothing better to do. I guess this has been there the entire time, but I've never noticed it. :):

The Hawk Rally is this weekend at TWO, and this one was parked outside all by itself. The Hawk is basically the big brother to my bike, the Honda CB-1. Still very cool and fairly rare. Yes, that is a GS you see in the background, and we'll get to that in a bit.

Since Jeff still hadn't arrived, I walked over to this creepy dude who was sitting around eating some BBQ and asked if he had seen a big guy on a red 996. He said he had, but that the Ducati rider had turned towards the Richard B. Russell Highway, not TWO. Figuring Jeff wouldn't do that, I assumed it hadn't been him. I wandered around looking at the GS and asked, "Who is on the BMW?" The man with the BBQ said, "I am," at which point I asked, "Are you, by chance, on the Adventure Rider forum?" "I am," he said. I introduced myself as Lindsay, to which he said, "No shit!" Turns out I had stumbled upon Ara (a.k.a. - BeemerChef) on one of his daily trips to TWO. Having Mr. Crabs with me, it was mandatory that Ara have his picture taken, giving the salute, of course.

Here's a picture of Ara's bike, a 1996 BMW R1100GS. I think the license plate is a dead giveaway, though.

So, Ara and I chatted for a while, and he told me about his Ducati 900SS, which he intended to sell because he never rode it and hadn't ridden it in quite a while. As Ara and I were talking, I heard a Duc in the distance. Jeff rolled up and it turns out that the same mechanic works on Jeff's and Ara's Ducatis, so they knew each other via LT Snyder. Freaky coincidence, huh? I was waiting for the Twilight Zone theme to start playing. So, Ara, Jeff, and I stood around chatting for a bit when a 2004 1150 rolled up. It was some guy from TN (or was it NC?) who reads the forum but hasn't registered. I didn't get his picture, though.

Jeff and I headed off in search of food since we'd missed lunch at TWO. Turner's Corner was closed, too, so it was off to the hotel in Hiawassee. Getting ready to go to dinner, Mr. Crabs checked out the NASCAR action on the NASCAR Channel--err, I mean, Speed. Yeah...Speed.

It's all leather for me, now. No more of this seven shots and four stitches in the knee crap.

And, here's Mr. Crabs with my evening snacks.

Before heading off for our ride the next morning, I took the opportunity to get a few bike shots.

Mr. Crabs looks ready to go.

It was incredibly foggy and cold in the morning, and I could hardly see. But, it quickly burned off and turned into an amazing day. We headed towards Murphy, NC and up part of 129 towards the Cherohala Skyway which runs a little less than 50 miles from NC to TN. On 129, I was leading, but Jeff pulled ahead and pulled over. He got off his bike and walked over to mine, telling me it was time for me to ride the 996. Eek! I was incredibly nervous and really didn't want to, but he insisted. So, we headed back out onto 129, and before long, I looked down and was doing an effortless 95 mph. Christ! What an amazing bike. Very, very different from my little Mutley, but I loved it. After a few miles, I pulled over and got my moped back. Then, it was off to the Cherohala.

If you've never ridden this road, do it. Here's a shot from one of the pullover points along the route. Amazing scenery.

More obligatory bike pictures...

Jeff's bike looks just a little better from the front than mine does, don't you think?

This was a test shot taken by the guy who was attempting to take a picture of Jeff and me.

Well, he got a shot of Jeff and me, but it evidently got deleted. Oh well. Here's another scenery shot. And, if you look closely, you can spot Mr. Crabs. He just shows up everywhere!

I really love this part of the country. So does Mr. Crabs.

More scenery.

I didn't take this picture, but I'm assuming Jeff did when he was waiting for me to make my way down the road on his 996.

Yes, that's right. He trusted me with his bike on the Cherohala. What a guy! Whoops...looks like Jeff missed the shot. It's 'cause I was going so damn fast...

There I go...

Not being able to get any good shots with Jeff sitting still, he decided to bring the camera along and take some shots while moving. I think he just wanted pictures of my ass. Who knows. They didn't come out so bad. I really, really love that bike, and it turned out to be much easier to ride, in general, than my little Honda. Definitely took more muscle to turn it, though, and it took a city block just to turn around.

Jeff needed to get back to his home in NC, and I needed to get on down the road to Valdumpster, so we cut out our planned run through Deal's Gap and parted ways in Blairsville, GA. I had a rumble in my tummy (not unusual), so I headed south on 19 towards Dahlonega. I took my second favorite road, 180, towards Suches to hit TWO for a burger since I had missed lunch the previous day. Stuck behind a Lexus SUV from Fulton County (ATL), I anxiously looked at my watch, knowing I had another ten miles of extremely twisty, technical turns before I would reach Suches. Finally, I passed and cooked it towards TWO. I arrived at 2:05. Late for lunch, again. Damn it! I was the only person there. Luckily, I had leftover Skittles, so I snacked on those.

As I stood around, I heard a Duc coming from the south on 60. It was a guy on a 900SS, and as he passed, he waved and pointed at me to stay put. I tried to place the bike, but I had no idea who it was until he pulled into the parking lot. I recognized the silver helmet. It was Ara, again! As soon as he got off the Duc, he said, "I'm not selling this." Good choice, man!

Since I was starving and he has nothing to do but ride ALL day long (lucky dog), I followed him (and he NEVER uses his brakes...one hell of a rider) south on 60 to Dahlonega, where we stopped at the fairly new Cafe 9 to have lunch. I had a tasty BBQ sandwich, then it was time to get on down the road, as I was already going to hit ATL rush hour traffic. Ugh. I had to take a picture of Mr. Crabs with Ara's Ducati, though. You can't make out the license plate too well in this picture, but it says "QUAQUAK." Ara says he has plenty of time to "think this shit up." :):

From there, I sat in traffic on GA 400, made my way through the toll booth, then thought, "Screw this," exited at Buckhead, and visited my pals at Atlanta Triumph-Ducati. We chatted, and I oggled Ducatis, and then I prepared to leave. Paul took one look at my sprocket and whipped out the chain lube. Yes, I knew the sprocket was in poor shape, and I had ordered a new one from the Honda shop at the beginning of the week when I changed the oil. Paul lubed the chain and gave me the travel-size can of Motul chain lube to put in my tank bag so I could lube along my four hour ride home. This bottle would come in handy...

After I left ATL Tri-Duc, I sat in traffic on I-85, then on I-75. The HOV lane was moving a bit better than the other lanes, so I took full advantage of my right to ride there.

Once out of Atlanta, I did a boring hour of riding before it got dark. I stopped at a rest area just north of I-475 in Macon to change my visor. I was the only person in the parking lot, save for a few semis parked a hundred yards or so away from me. A scraggly man in camoflauge started walking towards me, asking if he could ride my bike. Screw that, you bum! I politely said no, but he kept coming towards me, eventually invading my personal bubble, which I didn't like. I had my tank bag open, and I grabbed the small bottle of chain lube, held it up with my index finger on top of the cap, and said, "Please back off." He did. I guess he didn't see that the bottle said "Motul Chain Lube," not pepper mace. :): Chain lube saves the day...and saves me from having to open up a big can of whoopass... Yeah, right.

So, this ride report is getting really long. I'll try to wrap it up. I made it home in one piece, but when I checked my bike this morning, three teeth were missing from my sprocket. Not good. I made it to Dave's house without losing any more, and the bike is parked until my new sprocket comes in.

With no bike to ride, but a lunch date with Dave, I figured we'd drive, so I brought along my trusty flip-flops so I wouldn't have to wear motorcycle boots. Surprisingly, he offered up his Monster 900S with 41mm flat slide carbs. I was nervous, but I went for it. It's been my dream bike since the second time he turned it on (the first time, I thought it sounded like it was going to fall apart), but I'd never ridden one.

Of course, I had Dave take a few pictures. Before our ride to lunch...

And, after...

Jeebus H., I love that motorcycle. It was a bit harder to ride than the 996, but overall handling was much easier for me (probably because I'm used to the riding position). I lust after this motorcycle. I have for a year and a half. Today just strengthened my desire to own one. :rabia

I didn't go to Europe. I didn't go offroad. But, I have done 4,000 miles in a week and a half. So, screw you, Krusty. This is the end of my shitty ride report. If you're still awake, thanks for reading.

I love riding.

- Lindsay

Linzi screwed with this post 09-26-2003 at 03:36 PM
Linzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 03:33 PM   #2
Linzi OP
Crazy Plott Lady

P.S. - No, I don't really think Ara is creepy. He's incredibly cool, and I can't wait to chat with him again at Rebel Yell.

- Lindsay
Old 09-26-2003, 03:59 PM   #3
iillyyaa
Adwrenchurer!

Oddometer: 2,421
Awesome! Great trip.

I love that bike too. CB-1 is the bike that I learned to ride on. I knew it was true love when my wife (then girlfriend) gave me riding lessons on her precious bikey. The CB handles great! Still, 4000 miles on the little buzzy bugger is quite a feat.

BTW, my wife and I went cross country several years ago (~8000 miles). I was on my K75 then, and she rode the CB-1. Her sprocket kept all its teeth, the the alternator called it quits somewhere in Columbus, MO. (Of all the places to break down, why, oh why, did it have to be Columbus, MO???) Three days later, thanks to a UPS strike, the alternator arrived, and we went on to finish the journey.

Great report! I'm sure Krustypants would be jeallous , but I don't think we'll ever find out...
--
Ilya
'02 Suzuki SV650 CCS/LRRS #760 Expert

iillyyaa screwed with this post 09-26-2003 at 04:08 PM
iillyyaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 04:02 PM   #4
Bart
Constant Lurker

Oddometer: 2,955
Good ride report

I liked your ride report. My buddy Jim AKA Drif10 hooked me onto this site. Our ride report is the Uboat Riders. Good to know there is a wide variety of riders that pop out of the wood work wherever we ride. It is a small world!

Bart
Old 09-26-2003, 04:36 PM   #5
White Knuckles
Insufficient memory

Oddometer: 4,221
Re: Lindsay does GA/NC/TN...and some of Valdumpster.

Quote:
Said Linzi:
Before heading off for our ride the next morning, I took the opportunity to get a few bike shots.

The hotel in Hiawassee provides pit stands?
Old 09-26-2003, 04:50 PM   #6
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,603
Great report Linzi. Those Ducatis are neat bikes, but a bit too high maintenance for my taste. I can't help but notice that this Krusty character as hit a nerve with some of you. That guy is on a completely different wave length. More of a flat line actually.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 05:15 PM   #7
iillyyaa
Adwrenchurer!

Oddometer: 2,421
Quote:
Said Kokopelli:
That guy is on a completely different wave length. More of a flat line actually.
Another way to look at it: we don't really know what his wavelength is - all we know is that the amplitude of his wave is approaching zero!
'02 Suzuki SV650 CCS/LRRS #760 Expert
iillyyaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 05:38 PM   #8
RubberDown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,306

Quote:
Said Linzi:
I had my tank bag open, and I grabbed the small bottle of chain lube, held it up with my index finger on top of the cap, and said, "Please back off." He did
Old 09-26-2003, 05:51 PM   #9
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Reading between the lines and applying a splash of artistic license

Quote:
Said Linzi:
A scraggly man in camoflauge started walking towards me, told me his name was Flug and the he was the president of this here rest stop, asking if he could ride me and invade my personal bubble, I grabbed the small bottle of KY lube..........
- Lindsay

Wow, FLug conquered another....

Sorry Linz, couldn't resist...........great report BTW
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 07:20 PM   #10
Linzi OP
Crazy Plott Lady

Re: Re: Lindsay does GA/NC/TN...and some of Valdumpster.

Quote:
Said White Knuckles:
The hotel in Hiawassee provides pit stands?
Jeff trailered (or trucked?) his bike from his home in NC. :): I rode the whooooooooole way.

- Lindsay
Old 09-26-2003, 07:36 PM   #11
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,971
Terrific report, Linzi. Great pics and cute story.
Only one question: when you got really hungry, why didn't you just munch on Mr. Crabs?
Old 09-26-2003, 07:43 PM   #12
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,667
Ditch the crabs

I am bringing Old Bay Seasoning to TWO.

psssst, the Cromo monsters are fastest and I know where you can get a smoking one pretty cheap.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 07:48 PM   #13
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,228

Quote:
Said Linzi:

I love riding.
I hear ya, lady. Excellent report.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 07:48 PM   #14
Linzi OP
Crazy Plott Lady

Quote:
Said K12RSSteve:
Ditch the crabs

I am bringing Old Bay Seasoning to TWO.

psssst, the Cromo monsters are fastest and I know where you can get a smoking one pretty cheap.
What do you consider 'smoking cheap'? Also, is it a 900? And, how many times have you broken it?

- Lindsay
Old 09-26-2003, 07:50 PM   #15
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,702
Quote:
Said Linzi:
And, how many times have you broken it?

- Lindsay

Busted.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote