User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,704
Wretched Excess: The 950 Superenduro

Motorcycling, and the machines we share it with, are an essentially irrational pursuit. They are about emotion and philosophy, speed and poise, more than they are about fuel economy and weight, horsepower and ground clearance. Whenever someone asks me what bike they should get, I always tell them to get something that turns their crank. "If you're going to do something irrational", I always say, "at least get the joy out of it. Don't neuter your passion".

So I'm surprised that I fell into the numbers trap. I saw the 950 Superenduro, I wanted the 950 Superenduro, and I talked myself out of it. "It doesn't have the fuel range". "It's got way too much horsepower and weight for the riding I prefer". "It's neither here nor there, neither a capable dirtbike nor a flexible adventure tourer". Call accounts receivable, my boss must miss me.

Finally, curiosity killed the cat. I rode one at a clinic in SoCal, and came back talking so fast that Walker had to hit me upside the head. I rode one again in AZ and couldn't get an intelligible sentence out for 10 minutes. I got the chance to own one, and I didn't hesitate. Now I understand.

What makes this bike fun is wretched, wasteful, excess. It's about going to full throttle and getting scared, guaranteed, every time. It's about wheelies at 90mph on the way to the trail, and passing a KX450 once there. It's about going as fast as my 525 would, and having 3 gears left. It's about spinning the tire right now, any time, any place. In short, the business of the Superenduro is peeling your cheeks back into a grin that you hold so long it hurts.

I'll use this thread to chronicle my ownership and modifications, to muse about the bike, and to compare notes with other SE owners. Please feel free to chime in with comments, questions, and stories.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,544

Excess is good. DAMHIK

Looking forward to more updates and I am thankful I did not ride it in New Mexico last week.
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:45 PM   #3
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,055
First congratulation on the new toy...

So Ned since you have the Two bikes, the ADVenture and the Super Enduro can you tell us what is the big difference that makes the SE so much more fun to ride...

Personally i love the way my feet and knees fit on the SE tank and back plastics since is so much narrower and I can wear my knee braces with out feeling like i'm riding a horse..

So what else, I'm sure your analytical mind can solve the many canandrums in between the two bikes.

ps: maybe you can post some of Baldy's pictures on this tread, pretty impresive riding
Old 08-10-2007, 04:49 PM   #4
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,704
First ride was to Salida to see Hayduke and Bonnie A. About 250 miles of pavement, with a quick dirt loop thrown in while there.

Once on the street, all I could think of was how similar it was to my old Duc 900 Monster. Sufficiently rearset pegs to not feel like I was getting blown off the back. Plenty of motor, plenty of brakes, handles very neutral. The seat offers tons of flexibility for positioning.

Air handling was a revelation, just like it was on my Duc when I also had a GS. My sentiments are, either handle air well, or don't handle it at all. The dirty air I get from both the GS (very badly) and the 950 Adventure (somewhat badly) leave me not looking forward to pavement rides. The SE, counter intuitively, is better on the street than the Adventure (for me- everyone has a different posture/ height/ whatever that makes this more or less true for all of us).

Ricky- you raise a good point. I'm going to spend a bunch of time on this- including weighing them both, swapping suspension between them, and hopefully, weighing components to try to figure out why they feel so much different from one another. My own theory is that the weight distribution is the secret, but we'll put it to the test.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:12 PM   #5
woodsrider

Oddometer: 587
Congratulations on the wretched excess, Ned. I was wondering if that was yours when I saw the pic you posted of the bike outside of Rotelli's here in town. Enjoy -- go fast; take chances...

1997.5 KTM 200LE Jackpiner
'75 Bultaco 250 Alpina (M137)
woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:31 PM   #6
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,847
Thanks for the write up Ned, now get over to Steve's thread and set them goldwing guys straight.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256028
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:07 PM   #7
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,137
Looking forward to your thoughts, and your planned mods....

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:14 PM   #8
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,329
Same thing happened to me Ned. Have solice knowing you're not alone. The SE is a bike unlike *anything* else I've ever thrown a leg over.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:18 PM   #9
Ignore Amos
bruised, dazed & confused

Oddometer: 981
HOw Timely Ned....

Did our conversation today spur you into putting pen to paper...don't make me pull the trigger on what we were discussing, I still owe the IRS and I'd be using you as an excuse....Ned made me do it...it's all his fault....look forward to more of your thoughts...lets catch up when you get the chance.

07 BMW 1200 GS Adventure
07 KTM 950R Super Enduro
08 KTM 530 XCWR
09 BMW G450X

BITD 066
AMRA 54S
SCORE 22X
Ignore Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:31 PM   #10
Special Purpose

Oddometer: 5,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
I saw the 950 Superenduro, I wanted the 950 Superenduro, and I talked myself out of it. "It doesn't have the fuel range". "It's got way too much horsepower and weight for the riding I prefer". "It's neither here nor there, neither a capable dirtbike nor a flexible adventure tourer".

This is exactly what I told myself when I decided to go for the Adventure.

Well, except for the whole "too much horsepower" part. That's just crazy talk, I've never met a bike that couldn't use some more horsepower.

It'll be interesting to hear your take on the differences between the two, and whether our rationalization against it had any merit..
309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:50 PM   #11
Louge
silence of the limbs

Oddometer: 1,554
950 Superneduro

Irrational exuberance has unduly escalated our serotonin levels causing unexpected and prolonged wallet contractions ...
Attached Images

Louge screwed with this post 08-10-2007 at 06:56 PM
Louge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:41 PM   #12
moparmiller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
I am glad we now have one more person who suffers from the same mental disorder as me. SE + Sand dunes + fresh rear knobbie = spooky fast
I found that my Shoei X-11 street helmet is so much better with my SE than any of my other bikes, so I know what you are talking about with the wind.

My SE is soon to recieve Leo Vince Al mufflers ($300 less than TI Acro's).

The only down side to the SE is how fast you burn through rear tires... I try to stay off the throttle but I fail- it is too much fun.
moparmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:12 AM   #13
Big__AL
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
SE is a slutty mistress, of the best kind

My 950 adv is an amazing bike...the most capable machine I have ever owned....and I love it...but the SE!??!?! Damm!!! can you say LUST.....I really want one, but the practical side of me keeps saying, "it is just a stripped down adv....don't bother."

I would like to hear from someone who uses it on extended trips with considerable highway miles...
-50 something HD Panhead Bobber
Big__AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:39 AM   #14
SST
Lost again...

Oddometer: 1,295
Well it's about time Ned! Congratulations.
Rallymoto #165
SST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:30 AM   #15
msusslin
DirtMeister

Oddometer: 58
I have an 05 Adventure and just got a Superenduro, what a bike and the grin factor just increased having both bikes. The difference between the bikes is significant which increases the range of use quite a bit. The 950 ADV is now my touring bike for long trips with my wife. We just did a 1800 mile roundtrip to the Washougal MX and she loved it. The Superenduro is the bike of coice to find all the dirt trails in the foothills. That bike is a balst and the ADV is fun but to heavy for the trail work. Now I can hang easily with the thumper crowd and even make them want to have my dirtbike on steroids.

Now to the difficult choice one will encounder when you have both beasts....which one to take when a ride is needed to get the grin back.
msusslin is offline   Reply With Quote