ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #16
RedFlash
Go Cubs!

Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
... It's about going as fast as my 525 would, and having 3 gears left...

Congrats!
RedFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #17
CMWoodys
Banned

Oddometer: 184
Its about running off track, hitting a tree and knocking it the hell out of the way!

Sheeze, I want one of these things.
CMWoodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:05 PM   #18
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 13,243
My SE

Neduro, I've had my SuperEnduro for over a year now. I was lucky enough to get one of the first to arrive on the East Coast. I've got 9,000 miles on it now, mostly dirt. I also have a 520 EXC, so can easily compare it's capabilities in the dirt.

All I can say is that I've stopped trying to tell others about the bike. It is so well balanced and engineered for high performance dirt work that it's really quite silly! I have done single track with buddies on two stroke singles, and have little trouble keeping up, and I have very little talent. The bike is that good.

The only problem, of course, is when you drop it. It is hard to pick back up. Otherwise, incredible.

I personally just have an extra 21 inch front wheel, so that I can switch quickly back and forth between street and serious dirt. A Karoo T works beautifully on the street, and a cheap motocross knobby does the sand and mud. All I need for the back is a Dunlop 908 RR, which works beautifully in both dual sport and serious dirt worlds.

So glad someone with your ability also thinks this bike is decent!

My only regret on my last duelie ride was that the bike will wear out. I'm almost tempted to buy another one just to have around when the first one is toasted!
Old 08-11-2007, 09:01 PM   #19
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,019
Gimme that SuperEnduro and back away slow mister....

Congratulations Ned. The SE rocks! You put it well in your first post. It IS ALL ABOUT THE GRINS!

I just got my first KTM, a '07 Adventure 990S and it definitely gives me big grins. My wretched excess is my Aprilia RXV550 which wheelies in 4th on throttle and pulls through 120, at 280lbs wet and street plated... MAJOR big grins. Yeehaaaa!

Look forward to what you have to say about your continuing experiences on your new SE!

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:33 PM   #20
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,847
One of the first things that struck me about the SE (especially with Unaweep's experience) was the lack of skidplate protection. I'm going to take this thing places where that matters, and I know from my other bikes that even on a gravel road, it's possible to kick things up with the front wheel that can have an impact.

As soon as I rolled it in my garage, I took the Black Dog Cycle Works skidplate off my Adventure and bolted it to the frame mounts, which are the same on the SE as on the Adv. It was immediately apparent that it would damn near bolt up, if I got rid of the lip on the front which bolts to the tank mount. I called Kurt, and he sent me a skidplate to experiment with. Here's the results:

Here's one courtesy of Baldy:

All I did to make this fit was tear off the lip, and drill two holes on the front of the plate to utilize the stock mounting holes in the oil tank. I put thick rubber grommets in the forward holes, to make sure there was a little give in the case of a big rock hit- literally 20 minutes to bolt it up. The quality, as everyone knows from the adventure version, is excellent.

I'm not in love with bolting to the oil tank, but every other option I can see presents more problems than it solves. I think that insulating the tank from a shock blow should protect the threads and oil tank in all but the most severe collisions, and at that point, you probably had other things to worry about. I'll put a bunch of miles on this one soon in testing...

I'm going to mark this plate up with modifications to make it fit the SE better (basically, narrowing it up at the front where there's excess space on the adv model to accomodate fuel pump, and etc) and send it back to BDCW, and we'll get a production version of the SE plate out as quick as time allows.

Some more pics:

Will be narrowed here:

And here:

All in all, though, Bomber protection and just what is needed for the kind of abuse this bike will get.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:00 PM   #21
Ishamael
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
If only my legs were a bit longer, I would seriously consider the SE. I went to my local KTM dealer, just to sit on one and it felt taller then my DRZ.... combination of taller and heavier does not sit well with me. I will keep on thinking of a SE but the Adventure is the next bike to be added to my stable.

I still can't help but sneak a peak at what the others are doing with the SE.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #22
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,696
I don't have the riding skills as many of the riders here. I don't have the desire to push the limits as some do. Lastly I don't want to take chances that others take.

But I still really like my SE.
My 950 ADV use to buffet badly. Also it was unstable at high speeds. The SE feeds clean air to the rider. And to my surprise it is more stable at high speeds.

To date I have ridden the jeep trail at Sipapu with three great bikes. The 640 Adv, the 525 EXC and the 950 SE.

The 950 SE was easier to ride to the top. Mainly because it pulled from low RPMs. The 640 had to maintain revs going up. I could be more playful with the 950 during the climb. I ramped off some of the water burms. Coming down was still slower than I liked. But again it isn't about speed for me.

One thing that really surprised me was that how the 950 SE handled while stopped and or turning around. The R1150 ADV just tipped over. No stopping it. The 1200 GS was better but not great. The 950 and 640 ADV were similar. The F650 was close. The SE just handled better. Turning around. Getting out of tight spots wasn't a big deal. I did get a little funkiness out of the CV carbs. But other than that the SE is a Great bike.
Also while climbing the trail I was trying to get a feel for how the 950 handled the trail. I didn't have the best tires on it. But I wanted to see how the bike handled fist size loose rocks. These rocks would have kicked out my 525. But the SE just rolled over them. I haven't decided what I think about that. But the bike tracks as well or better than any other bike that I have ever owned.

Today I left it sitting at the top of the chair lift at the National Trials Event at Sipapu. I spent the day scoring trials. It was the first thing that people saw when they got of the life. KTM should thank me for that.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:29 PM   #23
Design4D
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 172
Ned I'm glad I could help your Wretched Excess!!!!

Here's pics from Inte's The NEDURO clinic comes to SoCal...Ride report.
This was your first taste if the 950 Superenduro.

and look here it is in the back of your mind.

Ned thanks for helping me tame my Beast.
Next time your
SoCal lets get together for a advanced class.
M
Design4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:46 PM   #24
ganshert
not sleeping

Oddometer: 8,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
I am thankful I did not ride it in New Mexico last week.
I ignored the little voice telling me to "step away from the motorcycle"

WOW, what a machine.

ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:01 PM   #25
Ignore Amos
bruised, dazed & confused

Oddometer: 981
I think this thread should be renamed "the 950 SuperNeduro" to be appropriate...

Actually think I'm pulling the trigger on a 950 SE on Monday...the 640 Adv will need to find a new home....

07 BMW 1200 GS Adventure
07 KTM 950R Super Enduro
08 KTM 530 XCWR
09 BMW G450X

BITD 066
AMRA 54S
SCORE 22X
Ignore Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:12 PM   #26
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignore Amos
I think this thread should be renamed "the 950 SuperNeduro" to be appropriate...
That's a good name for it. the 950R SuperNeduro

Funny Ned mentioned it, but I ordered myself a Black Dog skidplate to cut up and modify for the SE myself.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:06 AM   #27
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
... I ordered myself a Black Dog skidplate to cut up and modify for the SE ...
Won't take you long, seriously. It's almost eerie how close it is.

I'll keep you posted on what we come up with.

PS: "Superneduro"

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:37 AM   #28
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 13,243
it really is special

This bike is perfect for guys with skill, like SST and Neduro, who will ring it's neck in the dirt.

However, it is also pretty incredible how well sorted out this bike is for the average rider with less skill, like me.

First of all, the low end torque of this monster allows you to plow through mud and deep sand like a tractor. The bike never falters.

Second, even in slow speed maneuvers, the bike handles well. Yesterday, we did a nice dual sport ride around Bucks County, Pa., but my GPS lost part of the trail. So, we ended up doing a few U-turns. The SE does them effortlessly, while my buddy clearly struggled with his lowered 950 Adventure. He was tippy toeing around, having a fair amount of trouble with the bulk, high center of gravity etc.

Finally, as others have observed, this bike has incredible smooth air at speed. I have had a number of "naked" bikes, and each was a pain above 70 mph. Not so the SE. At 80, the air is smooth, with little pressure on the chest. My GS, on the other hand, is a buffeting queen.

Will be very interested in the heavier duty bash plate. The stator and clutch covers look awfully vulnerable hanging out there!
Old 08-13-2007, 09:49 AM   #29
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair
But I still really like my SE.
My 950 ADV use to buffet badly. Also it was unstable at high speeds. The SE feeds clean air to the rider. And to my surprise it is more stable at high speeds.
this for me is getting old, i get such a shake at high speeds it feels unsafe..

when an after market tank becomes available the SE will be hard to beat imo.

great thread.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:00 AM   #30
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat
this for me is getting old, i get such a shake at high speeds it feels unsafe..
MG,
Does it do it with the Gobis off? I heard that they were the culprit on the high speed stuff and I have been running without them and have no problems now at full tilt.
I am also running a Scotts that may be masking some of it.
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote