Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2007, 06:43 PM   #46
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig
Don't know if you've ridden an HP-2, but I'm curious to hear what your thoughts are on the comparison between the two bikes?
I have ridden the HP2, though not much.

First off, I admit I'm biased. I really like the KTM product, and I had lots of issues with my last BMW, which is neither here nor there as it relates to the question, but did leave me a bit cold on the roundel brand.

With that disclaimer out of the way, I found the ergonomics of the HP2 difficult to get used to. The pegs are far back, the bars don't fall where I expect them, and everything has a BMW funkiness about it. This might be a feature or a drawback, depending on your outlook. For me, it was a decided drawback.

For fast fire-road use, the BMW felt good. For anything more technical, I found lots of things distracting, and some things (like the position of the heads) downright hard to work around.

In addition, I really like the character of the SE- it's most of what makes the bike to me. The motor is playful and begs for hard use. It's very dynamic, with wheelies and slides coming easily for me (except when Baldy's camera is pointed at me ). The HP2 doesn't exude this playfulness to me, which I miss badly, but again, that might a feature or a drawback depending on the inclination of the rider.

You can ride my SE, if you'd like. Does that help?

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:56 PM   #47
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
One of my early projects is going to be adding a second tank. I've got a plan figured out... remains to see if it works, mind you, but I'm optimistic. If all goes well, I should have 1.5 extra gallons in a good location, and probably an overall decrease in weight.
cool.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:24 PM   #48
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,337
I'm fabbing up a 1.5 gallon removeable tank to bump up my range, too. Now it's getting eerie.

My first few tanks of fuel netted me 47mpg (about 125 miles 'til the light) on the road, or about 37mpg in the dirt. That was pretty easy riding - and about 200 miles of range is the magic number for almost everything I ride these days. That's the target range for me, plus a little wiggle room. I still have to jet out that lean spot in the stock jetting.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:28 PM   #49
Ignore Amos
bruised, dazed & confused

Oddometer: 981
Living out west....with Baja at my doorstep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
I'm fabbing up a 1.5 gallon removeable tank to bump up my range, too. Now it's getting eerie.
and one never to leave anything too stock for long...I'm anxious to see what type of aux fuel solutions you and Ned are coming up with...

please note new addition to my sig line of bikes...pick up the SE on Thursday...anybody need a really good 640A?

07 BMW 1200 GS Adventure
07 KTM 950R Super Enduro
08 KTM 530 XCWR
09 BMW G450X

BITD 066
AMRA 54S
SCORE 22X
Ignore Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:34 AM   #50
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 12,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair
My problem is that the bike is running out of fuel at 2.4 gal. There is fuel left in the tank....
If you are talking about the SuperEnduro, you may have one of your two fuel tank stop-chocks turned off by mistake. This happened to me when I first got my SE. Ran out of gas twice before I realized that the dealer had left one closed. They both should be open all the time, except when you want to remove the tank for service.

Now, my light doesn't come on till I've gone 100 miles, and then I have another 1/2 gallon reserve, so about 20 miles before running out.

So, check the stop-chocks and make sure both are open. On the SE model.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:04 AM   #51
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Anxiously awaiting a proper SE skidplate

Hopefully it'll mount to the frame in the rear and motor mount in the front

'No sense damaging the oil tank

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:38 AM   #52
Meathead
tin man

Oddometer: 16,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
did ya have to push it very far?
Half a mile . . . at least.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:33 AM   #53
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
MG,
Does it do it with the Gobis off? I heard that they were the culprit on the high speed stuff and I have been running without them and have no problems now at full tilt.
I am also running a Scotts that may be masking some of it.
My fly rod's case is 1.25 inches diameter. When I carried it on the front of my 625 SXC it had to be mounted horizontal to the bars. If it was off by one inch I would get this uncontrollable head shake at 70 mph.

Given that I bet that everything on the 950 ADV contributes to instability. Some parts more than others. The hand guards move air and can contribute. Same with the wind shield, bags and the rider. It may have more to do with how the air comes off a surface that how the surface holds it. On an airplane it's the lack of air pressure on top of the wings that allow it to fly. Gordy I saw your bike last weekend. You had cut your shield way down. I would think that it has to help some.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:30 AM   #54
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair
On an airplane it's the lack of air pressure on top of the wings that allow it to fly. Gordy I saw your bike last weekend. You had cut your shield way down. I would think that it has to help some.
I did that to help it fly.

I have never had the instability on my 950 that guys have mentioned here. I cut the shield to lessen the god awful buffeting.
KTM and your lack of aerodynamic testing.

I think that the stability problem is more a function of suspension set up and tire choice/pressures than anything else, even though there is a lot going on at 100 MPH+ speeds with aerodynamics and rider input. I have heard of guys solving their problem by running soft bags and ditching the Gobis. Just by looking at the way they are hanging out in the air stream, it is obvious that they are going to cause problems at high speeds. Even with my old RT, I could feel the difference with the bags mounted at speed.

Sorry for the hijack Ned, you know how I feel about the fuel tank mod you are working on. I am praying that it doesn't work! I love my Adventure and can't afford to trade for the SE.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:03 AM   #55
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
I love my Adventure and can't afford to trade for the SE.
Gawd but it was fun making you ride that thing at Westfest, knowing full well the effect it would have.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:19 AM   #56
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat
this for me is getting old, i get such a shake at high speeds it feels unsafe..

when an after market tank becomes available the SE will be hard to beat imo.

great thread.
WTF kind of "high-speeds" are you guy's talking about???? I've had my '04 "S", the REALLY tall one, the same travel as the SE, up over 130 a bunch of times and the thing was solid as a rock. The ONLY bad wobble I ever had ( other than when the front Scorp is shot) was with the giant Gobis at about 115 (they say DON'T go over 80mph). Not the bikes fault but the retarded owner for experimenting!
And everybody pratering on that the SE is almost like the 525 in single-track, give me a fucking break! Lets see you fit the fucker through this.............................................

A bunch of guy's, me included, had to reach around with one hand to hike the ass-end over a few inch's to get around the turn in the rocks! I'd like to see someone NOT the size of David Knight try that with a 450 pound bike. Oh, I know, the SE feels like it weigh's only a little more than a 525..........................until you have to pick the bitch up!!!
DON'T get me wrong, I sure wouldn't mind having one next to my 950 "S" and 525 EXC, but alas, I only gots just so much of 'da Benjamin's ta spread!
Glad you're lovin' the bike Ned!
Rally On!!
Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:21 AM   #57
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER
And everybody pratering on that the SE is almost like the 525 in single-track, give me a fucking break!
I hope you don't take that from my writing- it's not what I implied. Nor have I really seen that sentiment- more, that it doesn't suck nearly as much as it should in the woods.

On open trails, it's very capable. It handles whoops gracefully (the adventure, IMO, does not), which is important in the western half of the country, not sure in the East. I've taken it some intermediate/ advanced trails (B loop, not A loop), and it was manageable if not really a weapon.

What it does is a wide range of things enjoyably. I don't enjoy riding dirtbikes on pavement- I do enjoy riding this there. It's "fun" envelope (not it's "possible" envelope) extends a bit further into the woods than the Adventure's does, for me.

I'm not selling my RFS any time soon. I sure hope I didn't imply that.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:59 AM   #58
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,586
uh oh, i guess i should hold off on trading in my 525 on a SE.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:38 PM   #59
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
I hope you don't take that from my writing- it's not what I implied. Nor have I really seen that sentiment- more, that it doesn't suck nearly as much as it should in the woods.

On open trails, it's very capable. It handles whoops gracefully (the adventure, IMO, does not), which is important in the western half of the country, not sure in the East. I've taken it some intermediate/ advanced trails (B loop, not A loop), and it was manageable if not really a weapon.

What it does is a wide range of things enjoyably. I don't enjoy riding dirtbikes on pavement- I do enjoy riding this there. It's "fun" envelope (not it's "possible" envelope) extends a bit further into the woods than the Adventure's does, for me.

I'm not selling my RFS any time soon. I sure hope I didn't imply that.
NOPE! Didn'r mean you, but someone else who'll remain nameless, but he knows who he is !!!
As far as handling whoops "gracefully", you're right, the Adventure is maybe a bit less than graceful in that area. It sort of flies like a butterfly and lands like a garbage truck! The thing that pisses me off the worst though about it's "whoop" performance isn't the suspension, it's the fact that the bitch starts spitin' and sputterin' and then 1 cylinder goes dead when you hit a bunch of large whoops in a row. Mine isn't the only one that does it and no one seems to have come up with an answer yet.
On the open stuff we have here on the right coast the "S" is as good as anything else out there, IMHO. I did the Sandblast Rally in South Carolina, which all of the racing stages were run in deep sand roads, so deep in a couple of spots that there were cars stuck in sand about half-way up the doors , and the only guy that beat me was on a ex-desert AL Baker engined 20 year old XR! Could I have gone faster on a SE?? I think so. Could I have finished both days of the Hancock,NY dual-sport including all the hero/optional sections (which I did on my 525)??? NO WAY, NO HOW, COULD NEVER HAPPEN! I ain't man enough! David Knight could. But a mere mortal, no way!
And I'm with you about riding dirt-bikes on the street...................they suck!
Rally On!!!
Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:12 PM   #60
clang
Not lost, Exploring!

Oddometer: 2,769
It definitely has a very different feel than the HP-2. Both are great bikes, and I'm really diggin' my HP-2, but riding your SE at WF was an eye opener. Like you said, I liked the ergos a little better, especially when standing. Throttle response is snappier on the SE, and it feels a bit more stable when the back end is loose and drifting around.

The HP-2 handled a little better in the mud, the SE just wanted to spin the rear and sling mud no matter how gentle you were with the throttle. Bouncing over rocks and roots etc, the lower center of gravity of the HP-2 made it feel like not quite as much work to muscle around.

The SE turned in quicker on the tarmac, and felt a little more flickable.

I'd like to be able to spend some more time on one and really get a feel for it :uhhuh

That would probably be bad though, I don't need to spend that kind of money on another bike
clang is offline   Reply With Quote