ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2007, 02:22 PM   #61
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,706
Clang you might want to check the bar rotation on your HP2. BMW setups tend to roll them back way too much for off road work.

I would like to ride a HP2 someday. They have to be a hoot.

Like I've said on my GS. I wish that they would offer different ratios for final drives. Then I could have geared my GS down for my style of riding.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:25 PM   #62
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 13,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER
NOPE! Didn'r mean you, but someone else who'll remain nameless, but he knows who he is !!!
Chris, you KNOW that I don't think the SE is as capable as a 520 EXC in the extreme woods. But it can keep up with little bikes at moderate speeds, which is pretty remarkable for such a big bike. I truly believe that you could easily run an East Coast Enduro, even with the hero sections, on the SE. I couldn't.

Hancock this year looked like the extreme of the extreme. It looked like it was a handful even with a baby KTM. I stick to the wide open stuff with the flame thrower. Much better for my knees.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:30 PM   #63
clang
Not lost, Exploring!

Oddometer: 2,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair
Clang you might want to check the bar rotation on your HP2. BMW setups tend to roll them back way too much for off road work.

I would like to ride a HP2 someday. They have to be a hoot.

Like I've said on my GS. I wish that they would offer different ratios for final drives. Then I could have geared my GS down for my style of riding.
First thing I did when I picked it up was rotate the bar forward about 10 degrees and make adjustments to the placement and angle of the clutch and front brake levers, which helped a lot. I've messed with it a bit more since then, but the SE still felt a little better.
clang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:45 PM   #64
jetratt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo
If you are talking about the SuperEnduro, you may have one of your two fuel tank stop-chocks turned off by mistake. This happened to me when I first got my SE. Ran out of gas twice before I realized that the dealer had left one closed. They both should be open all the time, except when you want to remove the tank for service.

Now, my light doesn't come on till I've gone 100 miles, and then I have another 1/2 gallon reserve, so about 20 miles before running out.

So, check the stop-chocks and make sure both are open. On the SE model.
I had the same problem after having the bike serviced. I had the cannisterectomy done and re-jetted and the mech told me my mileage would go down a bit. My light came on after 60 miles. I figured there was something wrong. I went 11 miles looking for a fuel station and the bike died. Luckily I was on a down hill and was able to coast within 1 block of a gas station. I was thinking about how I was told the mileage would go down but damn. I put 2 gallons in it. I checked the valves and they were open and turned back 1/2 turn. This turned out to be the problem. They must be open all the way.
jetratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:18 AM   #65
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo
Chris, you KNOW that I don't think the SE is as capable as a 520 EXC in the extreme woods. But it can keep up with little bikes at moderate speeds, which is pretty remarkable for such a big bike. I truly believe that you could easily run an East Coast Enduro, even with the hero sections, on the SE. I couldn't.

Hancock this year looked like the extreme of the extreme. It looked like it was a handful even with a baby KTM. I stick to the wide open stuff with the flame thrower. Much better for my knees.
I thought I'd get you going . I going to guess that you've never run a real live Enduro, because if you had you would know that to finish even a moderatly tough enduro around these parts with a biggun' like the SE, you need to be sort of a "super-human". Like a David Knight. There's no way in hell I'd finish an enduro any tougher than maybe the "Pine-Hill" on the SE. Thanks for thinkin' I could, but I ain't that good !
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:56 AM   #66
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,980
Quote:
I thought I'd get you going . I going to guess that you've never run a real live Enduro, because if you had you would know that to finish even a moderatly tough enduro around these parts with a biggun' like the SE, you need to be sort of a "super-human". Like a David Knight. There's no way in hell I'd finish an enduro any tougher than maybe the "Pine-Hill" on the SE. Thanks for thinkin' I could, but I ain't that good !
Hey Chris, Got 6000 miles on my SM already...just got back from NC. Headin over to T&C sat for valve adj. See ya soon.

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:06 PM   #67
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

Oddometer: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
Motorcycling, and the machines we share it with, are an essentially irrational pursuit. They are about emotion and philosophy, speed and poise, more than they are about fuel economy and weight, horsepower and ground clearance. Whenever someone asks me what bike they should get, I always tell them to get something that turns their crank. "If you're going to do something irrational", I always say, "at least get the joy out of it. Don't neuter your passion".

So I'm surprised that I fell into the numbers trap. I saw the 950 Superenduro, I wanted the 950 Superenduro, and I talked myself out of it. "It doesn't have the fuel range". "It's got way too much horsepower and weight for the riding I prefer". "It's neither here nor there, neither a capable dirtbike nor a flexible adventure tourer". Call accounts receivable, my boss must miss me.

Finally, curiosity killed the cat. I rode one at a clinic in SoCal, and came back talking so fast that Walker had to hit me upside the head. I rode one again in AZ and couldn't get an intelligible sentence out for 10 minutes. I got the chance to own one, and I didn't hesitate. Now I understand.

What makes this bike fun is wretched, wasteful, excess. It's about going to full throttle and getting scared, guaranteed, every time. It's about wheelies at 90mph on the way to the trail, and passing a KX450 once there. It's about going as fast as my 525 would, and having 3 gears left. It's about spinning the tire right now, any time, any place. In short, the business of the Superenduro is peeling your cheeks back into a grin that you hold so long it hurts.

I'll use this thread to chronicle my ownership and modifications, to muse about the bike, and to compare notes with other SE owners. Please feel free to chime in with comments, questions, and stories.
You got me sold, what an opening statement I felt my dang blood pressure rise and the adrenoline flowing from just reading that

Now I gots to ride one

SFS
southforkspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:38 AM   #68
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 13,247
Quote:
There's no way in hell I'd finish an enduro any tougher than maybe the "Pine-Hill" on the SE. Thanks for thinkin' I could, but I ain't that good !
What about the Beehive, which is coming up on the 26th? I hear it's the easiest of the local enduros. And I have run a number of "dual sport" rides associated with enduros in the area. Including some stick forest that I followed you and Eugene through.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:04 PM   #69
Gravity's Dog
Amanda's brother

Oddometer: 29,138
Someone better start telling me what sucks about this bike, how much it sucks, and why no one should ever consider buying one (or, as in my case, even lusting after one).

Please.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:14 PM   #70
ganshert
not sleeping

Oddometer: 8,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity's Dog
Someone better start telling me what sucks about this bike, how much it sucks, and why no one should ever consider buying one (or, as in my case, even lusting after one).

Please.
+1

maybe throw in a little bit about how my daughter should have the opportunity to go to college and how the SE on the floor at Elite in Loveland is somehow tainted and I should wait for a different one or better yet the 990 FI SE that is sure to come out this spring or how my XR650R is more bike than I need anyway and I should just be happy with what I have

it hurts, make it stop hurting
ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:36 PM   #71
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganshert
......or how my XR650R is more bike than I need anyway and I should just be happy with what I have

it hurts, make it stop hurting
It sure makes a nice companion to an XR650R....

I like it enough that I am really considering selling my 950 ADV.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #72
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,852
Ganshert, GD: Here's a few thousand words:

There, there, your daughter can start looking for scholarships...

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:29 PM   #73
Gravity's Dog
Amanda's brother

Oddometer: 29,138
Jeebus brudda ned. It ain't like I don't have those pics burnt on my retinas by now.

If I can't swing the bike, I'm considering a tattoo...

Like this...

'Cause that is 'bout as cool as it comes.

Ya make me smile brudda ned.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:54 PM   #74
Ignore Amos
bruised, dazed & confused

Oddometer: 981
Ned..you need to responsibilty for this...

See what your silly thread has gone and made me do....hope your proud of yourself young man!

Went over to BadLands Cycles in Las Cruces this morning...and now it's off the truck...I think I have something to do tomorrow...

Had Tim King add a under the bar Scotts Stabalizer and FMF pipes and rejet- he even cut off that big rear fender and relocated the rear turn signals (like they'll be there long)

07 BMW 1200 GS Adventure
07 KTM 950R Super Enduro
08 KTM 530 XCWR
09 BMW G450X

BITD 066
AMRA 54S
SCORE 22X
Ignore Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:58 PM   #75
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,667