User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2003, 06:22 PM   #1
Komet OP
The Voice of Reason

Oddometer: 38,096
Night Riding (...that sounds ominous!).

Just wonder what some of you guys think about riding at night. Last night, as I was coming home from a little late afternoon jaunt...it kind of dawned on me...I getting where I really don't care for riding that much at night. It's not so much the anemic stock lights that are prevalant with a lot of bikes. It's rather the opposing headlights...seem like they rob me a lot of focusing moreso nowadays (I hope I'm putting it into words correctly)....when I was a youngster, I favored night trips over day...but I think father time is catching up with me. Any opinions?
Old 09-28-2003, 06:44 PM   #2
Mully
Kineticist

Oddometer: 3,757
An anti-reflection coating on your bifocals helps, dude.

And some major photon emitters........

mully
Old 09-28-2003, 07:01 PM   #3
Komet OP
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Said Mully:

And some major photon emitters........

mully
May have to look into that...because this old man does wear the bifocals!
Old 09-28-2003, 07:17 PM   #4
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,126
I still like the night rides. I pick my moments, full moon, no moon, etc. I like to travel at night during trips. I don't like the dusk time of day, deer races

How about the BMWRA rally?

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 08:25 PM   #5
turkish
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,140
Quote:
Said komet:
May have to look into that...because this old man does wear the bifocals!
Hey Pops!

Night riding is fun!

turkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 09:11 PM   #6
Komet OP
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Said turkish:
Hey Pops!

Night riding is fun!

I would like that kind...just don't care for the opposing beams!
Old 09-29-2003, 01:55 AM   #7
MikeO
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,782
I know this sounds obvious, but - don't look at oncoming headlamps. Although the eyes' natural reaction is to look at bright lights in a dark environment, doing so (fairly obviously) loses you any night vision you've developed.

Practice looking as far down the nearside (right side to you, left to me ) kerb as you can, when you detect a vehicle approaching. Looking any further towards the oncoming lights will not gain you any view, as well as risking dazzling yourself.

Mike
MikeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 04:57 AM   #8
Tictock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
i ride every night to work and agreed with you, major PIA. if the cagers and their lights aren't bad enough what about all the reflectorized crap out there; line markers, guard rail markers, signs every 30 feet, and my favorite is driveways; must be a contest to see how many markers the next guy can put up! not long ago i even saw one idiot had used two smv triangles at his drive. isn't there laws for these type?
when you're riding out there just once in a while that's o.k., but hell i know the deer by first name over here.
and yes your eyes change as you get older.
something for you fledglings to look forward to.
Tictock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 05:00 AM   #9
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,126
Quote:
Said Tictock:
i ride every night to work and agreed with you, major PIA. if the cagers and their lights aren't bad enough what about all the reflectorized crap out there; line markers, guard rail markers, signs every 30 feet, and my favorite is driveways; must be a contest to see how many markers the next guy can put up! not long ago i even saw one idiot had used two smv triangles at his drive. isn't there laws for these type?
when you're riding out there just once in a while that's o.k., but hell i know the deer by first name over here.
and yes your eyes change as you get older.
something for you fledglings to look forward to.
Central OH! Welcome.

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 05:08 AM   #10
Tictock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
thanks for the welcome.
been here a while.
don't post much, but try to keep up.
Tictock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 05:59 AM   #11
Kaumajet
H.I.D. Positive

Oddometer: 10,137
Tictock raises a good point. I have plenty of illumination on the front of my GS in the form of 520s, 1200s and hot-rodded bulbs, but on my latest trip I had a very bad experience at night.

I was pushing the edges of dark, fatigue, and weather to get to Kenora, Ontario for the night (should have stopped in Winnipeg). I had failed to realize that it was Sunday night, and all the cagers are coming back from the cottage. So, into a steady stream of headlights I went in the pouring rain, with nearly 500 watts of useless lighting on the front of my scooter. Whenever I did get a break in the traffic, the fucking reflectorized everything killed any chance I had of seeing a deer or moose anyway.

End rant.

"There is just something special about a stripper with a tail" ilmostro
Kaumajet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 09:00 AM   #12
jclark
Lost again??

Oddometer: 78
I try to avoid riding at night on longer trips or in traffic but I have found a type of night riding I really enjoy.

If I am in the need for some relaxation or just in the mood for some "wind" I will hop on the bike after dark and try to get myself lost on local dirt roads. I almost never see another car and I am usually going slow enough that I hope I can avoid most animals running into my path or at least cause minimal damage if I do hit something. The trip usually ends up taking an hour or two and covers around 50 miles or so.

Since I do this alone, with no cell phone, and totally spontaneously I am sure it will bite me one night but so be it.

Jim
jclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 09:16 AM   #13
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,225
Rode home in the dark and rain last night. Like you, komet, I found the oncoming headlights to be the biggest problem. I know to focus on my lane and not stare at the lights, but between the rain, bug guts, and scratches on my shield, the glare was considerable. Out on my own on a unlit, sparsely signed rural highway, I could see reasonably well, but not so well that I was completely comfortable.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 09:22 AM   #14
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
I love night riding. Dangerous, but very meditative.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:51 AM   #15
kevbo
Rubbery-Lip Flappin' PHI

Oddometer: 1,478
Quote:
Originally posted by Mully
Maybe Mully was just pulling your chain, but if you are one
(like me) who's vision requires corrective lenses, there ARE a lot of things that can be done to improve night vision.

I find my night vision with contacts is MUCH better than with eyeglasses. Perhaps because they stay cleaner, and unscratched. Also, I can wear cheap sunglasses during the day, which helps preserve my night vision. The only problem they cause with riding is I have to manage airflow inside the visor so my eyes don't dry out too much. Every year, contacts improve and get easier to wear. If you tried them a long time ago, and they didn't work out, it may be worth another look.

AR coatings can buy you about 10% more light transmission on high-index plastic lenses. The caveat is that they need to be spotless to work. A fingerprint negates the AR function. There is less reflection off lower index materials, so AR coatings don't do as much good there.

Many of the high index-of-refraction plastics will result in nasty aberations that are especially noticeable at night....and worse with strong perscriptions (where they tend to be promoted due to the weight advantage) Blinding lights are bad enough without
large rainbows around them.

Edge polishing can cause trouble at night too (prisms at the edges) so forget fashion and stick with matt ground edges.

As far as bifocals go, if you are getting rainbows off the edge of the lower lens, gradient lenses might help. If you just barely need bifocals, you may find contacts allow enough accomidation range that you don't really need the bifocals.