Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2003, 12:18 PM   #16
Tictock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
kevo, not to criticize your good info. on contact lenses but will that help the lazy DOT crew that won't remove the shipping label from the back of signs? a label made out of scrap reflective material from the sign co..

ever wonder what that little rectangle glaring back at you is?
Tictock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 01:39 PM   #17
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,412
I too rode home the other night in the rain - even with hopeless lights and...well hopeless everything I had no problems - even when I turned the ign off by mistake and it all went black and quiet.But on that urban fringe with no street lights but more cars it was getting dangerous.These city fringe dwellers in their SUVs just love to have everything on...and to dip your lights for only a motorcycle is a waste of wattage.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 03:17 PM   #18
Kaumajet
H.I.D. Positive

Oddometer: 10,137
Quote:
Said motupaika:
These city fringe dwellers in their SUVs just love to have everything on...and to dip your lights for only a motorcycle is a waste of wattage.
I find this gets their attention...
Attached Images

"There is just something special about a stripper with a tail" ilmostro
Kaumajet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 04:27 PM   #19
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,412
This is all I had to hit em with.
Attached Images

motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 07:30 PM   #20
Kaumajet
H.I.D. Positive

Oddometer: 10,137

"There is just something special about a stripper with a tail" ilmostro
Kaumajet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 05:54 PM   #21
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,851
I try to avoid night riding on the interstates for fear of nailing a hunk of tire from a truck.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 08:00 PM   #22
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,316
I enjoy night riding - it's a great time to think. However I can't get used to those new bulbs (zenon??) that the expensive cars use - it feels like they're frying my retinas out of my head!
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 08:44 PM   #23
Travelling Fool
The Wanderin' Kind

Oddometer: 135
I enjoy night riding, a very different experience. Have had some great "moments" (good ones...) on night rides.

But I hear you about visibility issues. I had Lasik about four years ago, and it worked great, would gladly do it all over again, except for night vision where I feel I definately have had a loss of contrast. Not debiliatating or even annoying, just noticable.

Such is the price, but it doesn't stop me, just reminds me to slow down a bit more in less well lit areas.
Travelling Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #24
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Oh, deer

The north metro Atlanta areas where I ride is infested with highly mobile pre-field dressed venison. I worry about them more than I do the cagers because they are even less predictable. Having great headlights doesn't really help when one bounds out directly in front of you.

Nearly got run over by one when I was walking up to my front door and I spooked it. Of course, I had not noticed it either until it nearly laid down a line of hoof tracks on my back. At least the other two just shuffled by at brisk pace and at a respectful distance.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:33 AM   #25
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen View Post
I enjoy night riding - it's a great time to think. However I can't get used to those new bulbs (zenon??) that the expensive cars use - it feels like they're frying my retinas out of my head!
It is not the xenon lights, but people installing them wrongly and never bothering to adjust the headlights correctly. I am hesitant to admit that I am happy about something to get fines from, but this is a case I am happy it results in a fine here (maladjusted headlights).

Expensive cars have the reflectors suited for the bulbs and hopefully adjust automatically, so they are not as much a problem as the fast-and-furious crowd optimizing their lights for poser value.

Apart from that, get your own HID lights on the motorbike! Better for the alternator, and much much brighter.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:22 AM   #26
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
It's a while since I did a long night run on a bike but I have always loved riding at night and in the past have commonly waited until the sun went down if I had a big point-to-point run ahead on relatively well known roads. I used to find the dramatic thinning out of traffic and cops improved the experience for me.

Point of saying that is just that the OP's question reminded me of a recent 300-mile night-time car trip. I commented to my passenger that I didn't feel as comfortable as usual in that environment. Reflecting on it since, I am sure it was a result of my distance vision deteriorating.

Used to be proud of my perfect vision but I've worn reading glasses for about 10 years now. Past couple of years have noticed I see more detail on movie screens if I wear my trifocals (prescribed by an enthusiastic optometrist: I hadn't asked for them). Don't wear specs for driving because they seem to diminish my peripheral vision and all-round orientation.

But definitely have started losing definition on distant objects, and in poor light it's worse.

Peculiar thing is how that feels. I didn't think to myself, before reflecting on things, whoa, can't see as well as I used to. The reaction was much more: hmm, this doesn't feel quite as much fun as it used to; feels a bit dangerous, actually. Wonder why that would be. Maybe I'm a bit tired.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:26 AM   #27
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,268
I would call this a Zombie thread, but considering the OP I won't.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:28 AM   #28
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO View Post
I know this sounds obvious, but - don't look at oncoming headlamps. Although the eyes' natural reaction is to look at bright lights in a dark environment, doing so (fairly obviously) loses you any night vision you've developed.

Practice looking as far down the nearside (right side to you, left to me ) kerb as you can, when you detect a vehicle approaching. Looking any further towards the oncoming lights will not gain you any view, as well as risking dazzling yourself.

Mike
This. I look at the fog line until oncoming vehicles have passed.

I still really enjoy riding at night. I have good HID aux lighting which makes a big difference. I do have a nagging fear of having a deer strike someday though.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #29
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I would call this a Zombie thread, but considering the OP I won't.

Jim
I often find the revival thing very funny when other people do it.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:31 AM   #30
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,102
I've done it. I kind of like it, but at the same time I don't. I hate not being able to see anything other than a patch of road in front of me. Doing sharp turns onto or off of streets out in the woods or something really sucks, because as the bike leans over and you are turning, the headlight dips way down and doesn't shine around the corner (this is for my bikes which both have fairing mounting headlights) and I can't see anything.

I tend to avoid it as I feel it's taking an unnecessary risk. For whatever reason the squid patrol in ABQ certainly seems to like blasting around in the middle of the night.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote