DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer: 17,754
Quote:
Said pathfinder:
Thanks DD - I think I finally have it figured out

A little New Mexico red rock

Pathfinder
Thanks for the pics, I've spent lots of time around the Colorado/New Mexico border. Had customers in Raton, Trinidad, Pagosa Springs, Alamosa and loved my travels there. DDWife and I are planning on going back next summer.
DD
DirtDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 09:07 AM   #17
figment
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Re: Flatlanders Ride through New Mexico and Colorado

Quote:
Said pathfinder:
About 10 miles south of this

in Costilla is a fantastic gravel road through 60 miles of the Valle Vidale unit of the Carson National Forest. Unforgetable.

Fantastic pics pathfinder!

figment screwed with this post 09-29-2003 at 09:14 AM
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 09:04 PM   #18
pathfinder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Figment said: About 10 miles south of this in Costilla is a fantastic gravel road through 60 miles of the Valle Vidale unit of the Carson National Forest. Unforgetable.

I looked at Msft Streets and Trips 10 miles south of Costilla on 522 and could find Sunshine Valley Rd leading west but is seems to stop at the Rio Grande Gorge. Are there any roads in this area that lead down into the gorge or across it? I have crossed the gorge on the lower bridge west of Taos via the gorge road but I cannot find any bridge listed west of Costilla.

This is a view from 149 I believe in Colorado further north

Pathfinder
pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 10:31 PM   #19
richc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,607
NM/Colorado ride

Great report - fantastic pictures. Thanks!
richc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 06:39 PM   #20
schaeftl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Missed it by that much

When riding in New Mexico there are plenty of rides that are great for the on road guys. And there are plenty of trails for the off road guys. But here is one that will bring a smile to everyones face.

You guys rode right past it. This means that its a little hard to find. But it truely rates up there with the best twisties in the states.
The road runs from Vadito to Truchas. This is a higher road with some curves. A few tight ones the closer you get to Truchas. Now that you are warmed up. Leaving Truchas drive past Cordova. Now before you get to Chimayo there is a turnoff on the left side of the road. This paved path takes you through a couple of villages. Which are part of the comunity that was setteled 400 years ago. Most of the time its single lane road. None of it is flat or stright. There are some 10 mph 180 degree turns. That at the same time clime or drop several feet. If your not carful you will find your self at the bottom of a conyon. And the locals will take care of the salavge for you. The ride comes out behind Nambe.
I always think that I am rural Europe when I am on this ride.

This ride drops several thousand feet. And follows the lay of the land in the foot hills. I honestly don't know of a better ride in the US.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:11 PM   #21
pathfinder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
schaeftl said:
You guys rode right past it. This means that its a little hard to find. But it truely rates up there with the best twisties in the states.
The road runs from Vadito to Truchas. This is a higher road with some curves. A few tight ones the closer you get to Truchas. Now that you are warmed up. Leaving Truchas drive past Cordova. Now before you get to Chimayo there is a turnoff on the left side of the road. This paved path takes you through a couple of villages. Which are part of the comunity that was setteled 400 years ago. Most of the time its single lane road. None of it is flat or stright. There are some 10 mph 180 degree turns. That at the same time clime or drop several feet. If your not carful you will find your self at the bottom of a conyon. And the locals will take care of the salavge for you. The ride comes out behind Nambe.
I always think that I am rural Europe when I am on this ride.

If I understand your description it sounds like the high road to Taos - this is part of the route we rode from Raton to Taos via Chimayo. Instead of going from Chimayo on down to Nambe we continued on to Espanola because we wanted to to get to Tres Piedres and on to Taos.

We ate lunch that day at Rancho de Chimayo, a lovely little setting hidden away. You have to look for it. They were kind enough to let us in for lunch in our Dariens and all. I didn't include these pictures of Rancho de Chimayo because I thought they were not that good, but I have cropped them some and they are a little better I think.

I am always interested in back roads and mountain roads - paved or unpaved - so if you know of some more I am all ears. I am still waiting for and answer from Figment about the road west of Costillas also......

Pathfinder

"Half the people you see these days are talking on cell phones,
Drivin' off the road and bumping into walls....."
Greg Brown
pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote