User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2007, 05:34 PM   #16
Pilbara OP
In the flow...

Oddometer: 1,571
You lucky lucky bugger!!!

I had to go through hell to source the correct pins in the plug for the speedo and even more grief to find a supplier! Not to mention the $300 crimping tool!!!

The plug on the Adventure tripmaster is different to the one that you have shown too, it is not an inline plug, Seems KTM chop and change things a bit. The wiring diagrams in the service manual do not even replicate the reality on the bike.

Looking at your pics the adventure tripmaster (the model I bought anyway) would not work with that connector.

As a matter of interest can you trace what pin numbers the wires and their colours go back to on the main speedo/connector?

Cheers
Pilbara
Pilbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:36 PM   #17
BC in Mid TN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilbara
I had to go through hell to source the correct pins in the plug for the speedo and even more grief to find a supplier! Not to mention the $300 crimping tool!!!

The plug on the Adventure tripmaster is different to the one that you have shown too, it is not an inline plug, Seems KTM chop and change things a bit. The wiring diagrams in the service manual do not even replicate the reality on the bike.

Looking at your pics the adventure tripmaster (the model I bought anyway) would not work with that connector.

As a matter of interest can you trace what pin numbers the wires and their colours go back to on the main speedo/connector?

Cheers
Pilbara
I just ordered an EXC Tripmaster when I install it I'll get you the pinouts and colors. Sorry your's was such a pain in the azz!!!!
2006 Triumph Scrambler
BC in Mid TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:54 AM   #18
Pilbara OP
In the flow...

Thanks BC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC in Mid TN
I just ordered an EXC Tripmaster when I install it I'll get you the pinouts and colors. Sorry your's was such a pain in the azz!!!!
Mine is all fitted and working now. Will be interesting to see what the pins and colours are for the plug on your wiring loom (which does not exist on mine) Maybe it simply got forgotten on a friday afternoon by a loom maker keen to get home

Mine is an 06 model and the repair manual 2003 - 2006 wiring diagram does not even show a plug for the tripmaster on the SE, what year is yours?

Maybe they start fitting them now? The other odd thing is the type of plug on yours it is different from the one on the adventure and the plug on the tripmaster switch they sold me for the SE.

Here is the pin outs on the 950 Adventure as per the wiring diagram.

But as I found out the result is that pin 11 is for the mode button, Pin 13 is for the raise and pin 14 is the lower button. Which is as per the wiring for the 990 Adventure

So if any other 950 SE riders out there that do not have a plug for a tripmaster switch wish to fit one I have some original pins left to fit the speedo connector that I am happy to post to you. First come first serve basis until I run out.

Cheers
Pilbara
Old 09-04-2007, 08:27 PM   #19
BC in Mid TN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Mine is an 06 model and the repair manual 2003 - 2006 wiring diagram does not even show a plug for the tripmaster on the SE, what year is yours?
Pilbara
Mine is an 07 US spec model. Thanks for the prints those are the 1st I've seen.
2006 Triumph Scrambler
BC in Mid TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:46 PM   #20
ErrinV
D Boon!

Oddometer: 2,292
Thanks for this info Pilbara. I got the switch with my bike ('07 990) and it never worked. Only the Mode button and the Minus button would work.

So the dealer shipped me another one, and I connected it today, with the same results. Now I'll have to go back in there and see if I can trace the wires and see if it matches the diagrams that you have posted.

One thing that I'm not clear on though. You mention a special tool and crimps. Is it not possible to just move the wires on the speedo? I've never attempted this kind of thing so I'm wondering if it's over my head.

Next time I'm in there I'll be sure and take pictures and note the wire colors too.

Errin
Old 01-25-2008, 10:07 PM   #21
Pilbara OP
In the flow...

Yes

You can but you need some really small strong wire to release the crimp pins retaining in the plastic plug. Can do it but tricky. The SE does not have any wires in the speedo plug for the switch so that is why I had to get the crimps and tool to fit them into the plug. The adventure has the plug already.The SE you have to cut off the plug on the switch and put on crimps and then fit those to the speedo plug.

Cheers
Pilbara
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrinV
Thanks for this info Pilbara. I got the switch with my bike ('07 990) and it never worked. Only the Mode button and the Minus button would work.

So the dealer shipped me another one, and I connected it today, with the same results. Now I'll have to go back in there and see if I can trace the wires and see if it matches the diagrams that you have posted.

One thing that I'm not clear on though. You mention a special tool and crimps. Is it not possible to just move the wires on the speedo? I've never attempted this kind of thing so I'm wondering if it's over my head.

Next time I'm in there I'll be sure and take pictures and note the wire colors too.

Errin
Old 08-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #22
olec
Rookie

Oddometer: 273
Old thread, but still hot...

I bought an EXC tripmaster switch because I found the plug among all wires behind the headlight. I have an '07 SE, and it plugs straight in. I was excited to see if I also had the pin #14 problem, but not so. All three buttons are working.

But I should have read this thread better, because I'm a little dissapointed. Sure its a must to increase or decrease the total in trip 2 when doing roadbooks. But what about trip 1. I use trip 1 between the different checkpoints and need to reset it to 0 every time. So the tripmaster switch only is good in trip 2 mode? I still have to reach down on the tripmaster panel and press reset?
olec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #23
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by olec
I bought an EXC tripmaster switch because I found the plug among all wires behind the headlight. I have an '07 SE, and it plugs straight in. I was excited to see if I also had the pin #14 problem, but not so. All three buttons are working.

But I should have read this thread better, because I'm a little dissapointed. Sure its a must to increase or decrease the total in trip 2 when doing roadbooks. But what about trip 1. I use trip 1 between the different checkpoints and need to reset it to 0 every time. So the tripmaster switch only is good in trip 2 mode? I still have to reach down on the tripmaster panel and press reset?
Im guessing the rationale that Trip 1 cant be reset or incremented/decremented from the remote control is so that it cannot be done by accident.

I use Trip1 as my cumulative distance travelled - so I have an idea how much of my fuel range I have used.

There maybe a similar use with respect to racing that I dont know about -
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:11 PM   #24
olec
Rookie

Well, its nice to decrease / increase the total, ie trip 2, so it matches the instructions in the roadbook. There is always a total cumulated reading at each cp. So no matter how much I screw up, I can synch my trip 2 and the roadbook's total when finding the cp.

Hmmm.... I'm not doing rallies or stuff like that. Just organized rally wannabe events . I think its plenty of time to reach down and reset trip 1 between the cp's.

That makes me think of another thread I've seen. Its a guy that has opened up the tripmaster console and soldered on a couple of wires on the backside of the reset button and looped them through a custom button on the handlebar. I've been thinking this has been a cheap custom mod instead of installing a real switch, but know I see why he did it. Maybe its my next project....
Old 08-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #25
olec
Rookie

Here's a post with pictures about how to mod the tripmaster and place just a 'mode' and a 'reset' button on the handlebar. Not in english, but you get the point:

http://forum.soe.se/showpost.php?p=332626&postcount=735
Old 08-17-2009, 05:33 PM   #26
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,205
anyone know about wire "1" on the trip bundle? i am trying to determine if i can apply 12 volts to pin 11 via wire 4 to activate the mode and 14 via wire 2 to zero?, or do i need to complete the circuit to "1" specifically?

NEVERMIND.... got it sorted. what i dont get now is why the SE just deletes the increase/decrease function in favor of the zero button. it still lives in the display. i was going to wire in a microswitch to zero it out, but i may just buy the button.

Quote:

But as I found out the result is that pin 11 is for the mode button, Pin 13 is for the raise and pin 14 is the lower button. Which is as per the wiring for the 990 Adventure

Pilbara

lightfighter screwed with this post 08-17-2009 at 05:46 PM
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:18 AM   #27
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Oddometer: 4,771
what i dont get now is why the SE just deletes the increase/decrease function in favor of the zero button. it still lives in the display. i was going to wire in a microswitch to zero it out, but i may just buy the button.[/quote]

Because there is only 2 buttons on the universal speedo, mode and reset.

One thing I am thankful for is that there is no 'zero' or 'reset' button on the tripmaster switch. I am always bumping the mode button inadvertantly, not so bad on a trip but very bad during a rally.

It just happened, Max, you know?

A p-p-p-p-piece from here and a p-p-p-piece from there.
Knackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:10 AM   #28
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,205
hey knackers...

i hadnt thought of that, i am just used to the bmw: tap to cycle the mode, hold down to zero. but in spending th etime to sort out the wires, i realized that all i really want to do is cycle them anyway, so i think the single momentary switch on the light cntrol will work for me for 5 bucks after all.

i assume that the increase and decrease was more useful on your recent foray into racing?
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #29
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Oddometer: 4,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter

i assume that the increase and decrease was more useful on your recent foray into racing?
Absolutely essential

It just happened, Max, you know?

A p-p-p-p-piece from here and a p-p-p-piece from there.
Knackers is offline   Reply With Quote