User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2007, 01:10 PM   #1
MNGeezer OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
KL250 Super Sherpa Tank

Ok, I know this will sound nuts, but so do most of my ideas, adventures, and disasters. I have a 2000 KL250 that I want to take adventure touring. Maybe to Alaska from Minnesota. The problem is that the tank is too small for anything practical. I often get 100mpg out of the tank, but the tank (contrary to Kawi's ad) appears to only hold 1.7 gallons. I need more like 2.75-3.5 gallons for a practical trip. Are there any Super Sherpa owners out there who have experimented with a decent capacity after-market tank?

Thomas Day
Minnesota Motorcycle Monthly Magazine
http://www.motorbyte.com/mmm/
Little Canada, MN 55117-1320
651/415-2992
thomas@motorbyte.com
MNGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:32 PM   #2
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,141
Sounds like you need a top box type aux fule cell? Or some bottle opposite the muffler? Go custom - swap out the tank? Tell anyone who suggests a bigger bike that your givving them the finger!

Good Luck

I by the way stop to get gas every 100 - on both bikes!
Old 08-13-2007, 01:42 PM   #3
Tupelo Honey
Not for lack of trying...

Oddometer: 1,574
This guy actually did swap tanks:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=273

I have this

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....6&postcount=27

for my Sherpa.

Why tiptoe thru life just to arrive safe and sound at death? Ehhh? -Trip

Wouda, coulda, shoulda will suck the life out of you.-Bubba Satori

Tupelo Honey screwed with this post 08-13-2007 at 02:21 PM
Tupelo Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 96,427
Why not just carry an extra gas can, like this guy?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255995

A Super Sherpa will make a fine ridng-to-Alaska bike.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,045
Let's try this in Thumpers and when you have a Ride Report, come back here and tell us all about it

Look into "Fuel Packs", they are flat and hold about a gallon each.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:20 PM   #6
baldrick
Moto-Geezer

Oddometer: 397
Sherpa gas tank

I have a 2000 Sherpa, and out of curiosity I tried putting a gas tank from a Yamaha RT180 on it. The mounting bolts at the rear of the tank lined right up. The bars/triple trees looked like they'd hit the tank, but a little work on the stops would probably cure this. I think this is a viable option. The RT180 tank holds 3.4 gallons, and is available from Clarke Mfg. for about $200, including their petcock.

I posted some pictures on the Yahoo Super Sherpa users group site, in the photo album "Baldrick's Mechanical Modifications. Here's the link to the user's group:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...3_SUPERSHERPA/

There's a lot of good information to be found on this user's group. It's worth joining.
baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:14 AM   #7
milkman
can't find my screwdriver

Oddometer: 137
Safari tanks in Aus make a large tank for teh Super Sherpa.
It was fetured in an edition of Two Wheels magazine, a short statured couple are going around Australia on them, and they were the pick of the bikes for them.
milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:09 AM   #8
Evenflo76
Cheap and Easy

Oddometer: 538
or this: http://www.justgastanks.com/
Old 03-23-2010, 12:47 AM   #9
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman
Safari tanks in Aus make a large tank for teh Super Sherpa.
It was fetured in an edition of Two Wheels magazine, a short statured couple are going around Australia on them, and they were the pick of the bikes for them.
I contacted Safari in my search for a larger tank for my Sherpa. They are located in rural Victoria about 200km north east of Melbourne in an area I visit now and then.

They replied as follows:

Thank you for your enquiry, we did fit 2 sherpa's with our 30L DR650 fuel tanks. They fitted quite well and looked quite tidy with some adaptation work. Unfortunately because we thought it would be a one off thing we did not document the process, it is probably best if you give a call and talk to Robin on 03 5729 5556, he was involved in the mods and then you can work out if it is best for you to come up here with your bike or if we send you a tank you can get it fitted on your own.

Regards,
Nicole

Soon afterwards I found an IMS XR650L 4 gallon tank on eBay in California for $50 and $50 shipping, so I didn't look any further into it. Fitting of my IMS tank is documented on the Yahoo Sherpa site and on this forum as soon as I can figure how to put the photos on here.

Graham in Melbourne
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #10
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez
Fitting of my IMS tank is documented on the Yahoo Sherpa site and on this forum as soon as I can figure how to put the photos on here.

Graham in Melbourne
OK, I figured this out. I think. Lets see what happens.

This should be a pair of photos of a 2003 Sherpa belonging Dennis from the Yahoo forum, with the original and the black IMS XR650L tank.

First with the standard tank:

And now with the IMS tank:

Old 04-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #11
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

I'm going to make the rash assumptions that the images in the previous post are in fact visible to everyone and post the whole 42 images of the fitting process, as promised over in the main Sherpa thread about a week ago. I figure this thread is a more appropriate place for them, with a minor reference over in the main thread, making them easier to find.

This is the disclaimer I included over in the Yahoo forum.

THIS IS NOT A COMMERCIAL PRODUCT!

SEE TURBOROB'S REPORT OF A FRONT MOUNT FAILURE LATER IN THIS THREAD AND FURTHER DOWN THIS POST

At the time of writing (March 2010) about half a dozen Sherpas worldwide have been fitted with the IMS XR650L 4 US Gallon tank and documented on the web, in the Yahoo Super Sherpa forum, on www.ADVRider.com, on www.KLR650.net or elsewhere. At least one person has resorted to welding a rear mount to their Sherpa frame; most use a similar front mount to what is shown here.

Having designed and built a mount kit for my own Sherpa to my own satisfaction, it only took a little more work to build several extra sets of parts. Producing the rear mount is the most time consuming pat of this task.

While I am offering these parts to other Sherpa owners, it is very important that you understand, this is a home made kludge to fit a tank which was never designed to fit the Sherpa.

You must satisfy yourself that the end result satisfies your expectations and requirements. If you are not happy with the result, contact me to arrange return of the parts and a refund.

THIS IS NOT A COMMERCIAL PRODUCT.
IT COMES WITH NO GUARANTEES.
NO ONE HAS APPROVED IT OR CERTIFIED IT.

USA/Canada FMVSS/CMVSS approved Sherpas:
The front side amber reflectors fitted to North American bikes will need to be moved. These are not fitted to Australian ADR approved bikes so there are none shown on the bike in the photographs.

The photos have their own captions, so without further ado:

First of all, this is the complete set of parts I used on my Australian spec bike.

Unlike the US FMVSS spec bikes, we don't have the amber reflectors on the sides of the forks, which need to be moved..

Dennis in KS (see the previous post with the black tank) used mostly the same parts, but chose to make his own rubber flaps, supplied his own foam pad (the purple thing) and didn't need the vent tube because he had a street type cap.

The threaded rod shown below is reported to have failed on Turborob's bike in rough conditions in the Flinders Ranges.

I suggest drilling out the hole in the frame between the mounts, shown below, larger and using a larger fasterner.

This looks like a good place to break the post. Photos continue in the next post...

eepeqez screwed with this post 05-04-2011 at 02:05 AM
Old 04-01-2010, 08:38 AM   #12
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Moving right along, now we fit the rear mount for the IMS tank:

Next we've got some photos of the clearance at various locations:

Once again, this seems like a good place to break.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:44 AM   #13
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Now for the plumbing and final assembly:

I refitted the original tank and started with the parts shown in the first photo for this photo set. It took me about half an hour to remove the original tank and fit the IMS tank. If you've fitted a Yamaha non-vacuum tap to your Sherpa tank, you could swap tanks in about 10 minutes.

Graham in Melbourne
Old 04-01-2010, 09:16 AM   #14
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Some numbers about tanks:

Capacity:
The original Sherpa tank is nominally 9 litres/2.4 US Gallons divided 6 litres/1.6G main and 3 litres/0.8G reserve.

In practice, it is about 9.6 litres/2.55G, 6.4 litres/1.7G main and 3.2 litres/0.85G reserve.

The IMS Sherpa tank is nominally 4.0 US Gallons, or just over 15 litres.

From bone dry, mine took 14.78 litres or 3.93 G.

Mileage:
We had a discussion about Sherpa mileage in the Yahoo forum. I reliably get about 24.5 to 25km per litre (59mpg), which is near the low end of the range quoted by Sherpa owners. Most people claim to be getting between 60 to 70mpg or up to 20% better than me, with a significant number claiming up to 80mpg (33% better).

The following therefore only give you an indication of the relative mileages:

With the original tank, I was getting 160km/100miles to reserve and a further 80km/50miles to empty (carrying spare fuel of course), total 240km/150miles.
33% of the total capacity was in reserve.

With the IMS tank I get:
300km/188miles to reserve.
345km/216miles "empty", but with fuel left on the right side of the tank.
365km/228miles after tipping the bike over to get the dead fuel.
378km/236miles after repeated tipping for the last dribbles.

Remember these are at 25km/litre / 59MPG; many Sherpa owners claim to get 30km/litre / 71MPG or more.

25% of the total capacity is in reserve, with about 15% available by turning the tap to reserve and the remaining 10% by tipping the bike over to get at it.

Caps:
The IMS cap has a fitting for a vent hose. If no hose is fitted, a full tank will vent fumes enough to be unpleasant when riding. I've seen a locking road type cap on the IMS tank in this photo from a 2007 post by haydenslides:

I'll write to him and see if he knows where to get these caps.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:14 AM   #15
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,128
Nice... it's on the list.

Here's the vent I used on my DRZ...

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/pr...dFamilyId=3035
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote