User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2007, 07:06 PM   #1
nikodelrey OP
nikodelrey

Oddometer: 136
where to purchase KLR parts

Just wondering where would one buy a KLR oversized front rotor and steel brake lines from? I looked at arrowhead. Are they reliable? Any place that is better/cheaper? Also I'll be purchasing a doohickey replacement too. Thanks!
nikodelrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:30 PM   #2
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikodelrey
Just wondering where would one buy a KLR oversized front rotor and steel brake lines from? I looked at arrowhead. Are they reliable? Any place that is better/cheaper? Also I'll be purchasing a doohickey replacement too. Thanks!
I no longer own a KLR but I doubt you could find anyone more reliable than Arrowhead. I had a bit of an issue with him deleting a couple of my posts on the Yahoo KLR list which referred to other sellers and their prices, he has real good prices overall so it always amazed me, but as far as service goes, it was A1. Shipping is what USPS charges him which is always nice and alas kinda rare these days.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:11 PM   #3
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,535
I've had good luck with TPI http://www.tpimotorcycleparts.com/ as well as Arrowhead.

Oversized rotor kit- $185. I think that's competitive.

I don't think TPI's selection is huge, but service is good and they only charge you actual shipping.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
Camas
Rooster Bastid

Oddometer: 470
Fred at Arrowhead is definitely the best and most honest. You can get stuff from DualStar and Happy Trails but no guarantees on them having what you want.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:25 AM   #5
worm~hole1
I'm mentally mortarded.

Oddometer: 120
I bought mine direct from Braking at LagunaSeca a few years back. The only issue I had was how easy it was to strip the threads in the aluminum adapter bracket. I had to buy another one...so cheap that I bought two just in case. The brake has been a lifesaver as well as a confidence builder. I nearly killed myself on my first KLR ride when I expected ZX-12R-like braking performance on a downhill run

I also did the steel-braided brake lines and went with green front pads and black rear pads. All I need to do is set up my front suspension with better springs and oil so that it doesn't DIVE so much under braking
Old 08-14-2007, 10:30 AM   #6
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm~hole1
All I need to do is set up my front suspension with better springs and oil so that it doesn't DIVE so much under braking
Err, like yeah.

How much do you weigh? I could bottom out the stock suspension at will with the original brakes. With the new 320mm oversized rotor, if you are anything over 160 pounds you must easily now be able to bottom it out, which under hard emergency braking is a safety issue I'd be concerned about as you don't have control over the bike.

You've been running like this for a "few years" ?????
Old 08-14-2007, 11:55 AM   #7
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,219
Arrowhead Motorsports

Dual Star

FarkleMasters

Happy Trail

KLR650.com

TPI Motorcycle Wholesalers

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:23 PM   #8
fixer
KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer: 7,439
Fred usually has EXCELENT customer service... sometimes you'll hear a complaint, but that's the exception, not the rule.

i've been hearing a LOT of complaints about Dual-Star in the past year or so. they get LOW marks for customer seervice.

KLR650.com sells a lot of products that are rip-off clones of the original products, or just lower grade stuff in general.

ronayers.com has OEM parts at discounted prices, but can be SLOW to ship.

bikebandit.com also has OEM parts at discount prices... not sure about their shipping for parts, but i've ordered oil and air filters from them and gotten good service.
And don't be scared, just enjoy your ride.

"... in my version of Heaven you get all your dogs back." Mista Vern
"Old dogs don't die, they just wait for you in another place." Twilight Error

I'll show you a place, high on a desert plain, where the streets have no name.
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:27 PM   #9
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,629
Arrowhead is the place.

Right part, right now.

I went with the oversized Wave Rotors on both my KLRs, never been happier with my KLR brakes. Plus, they look extra cool.

Thanks
CA Stu
Old 08-14-2007, 12:28 PM   #10
worm~hole1
I'm mentally mortarded.

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit
Err, like yeah.

How much do you weigh? I could bottom out the stock suspension at will with the original brakes. With the new 320mm oversized rotor, if you are anything over 160 pounds you must easily now be able to bottom it out, which under hard emergency braking is a safety issue I'd be concerned about as you don't have control over the bike.

You've been running like this for a "few years" ?????
Yup, since 2004. Fortunately, I tend to ride conservatively and have had the opportunity to do some real-live emergency braking...I rarely use the rear brakes, although I do know that I need to learn how to use it more in conjunction with the front for more effective braking. Anyways, yeah, it get waaaaay down there and its not the most comforable feeling for me on the bike....especially going downhill on a decreasing radius turn at speed where I have to trail brake due to not riding as conservative as I thought I was 6'1"/250lbs of cheerful Samoan-like quality
Old 08-14-2007, 01:01 PM   #11
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm~hole1
Yup, since 2004. Fortunately, I tend to ride conservatively and have had the opportunity to do some real-live emergency braking
This is great till someone pulls out in front of you, unexpected like, you're hard on the brakes and you realize you _cannot_ stop in time even with the 320mm and you're gonna have to try that whole _turning_ thing, but it's not gonna happen, as the you have zero front end control.

I find this amazing, sorry but I do. If you can only fix one thing, I'd be on the front suspension before the brakes, but ideally both should be done at the same time. Springs/oil are cheap once you've plonked down the $$$ for the brake kit.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:20 PM   #12
CA Stu
Thanks

Quote:
This is great till someone pulls out in front of you, unexpected like, you're hard on the brakes and you realize you _cannot_ stop in time even with the 320mm and you're gonna have to try that whole _turning_ thing, but it's not gonna happen, as the you have zero front end control.

I find this amazing, sorry but I do. If you can only fix one thing, I'd be on the front suspension before the brakes, but ideally both should be done at the same time. Springs/oil are cheap once you've plonked down the $$$ for the brake kit.

I fail to see how a bottomed out suspension locks the front wheel in a straight line in the first place?

Also, I'd rather countersteer OR brake in an emergency, not both at the same time.

But, what do I know....

Thanks
CA Stu
Old 08-14-2007, 01:46 PM   #13
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu
Also, I'd rather countersteer OR brake in an emergency, not both at the same time.
Where did I say "both at the same time". You've never braked and then subsequently realized that you're not going to stop in time, and got off the brakes and initiated a swerve. It's really hard to do the later when the front end has totally bottomed out.

Quote:
But, what do I know....
I don't know, but I guess you believe significantly more than I
Old 08-14-2007, 01:49 PM   #14
CA Stu
Thanks

Quote:
Where did I say "both at the same time". You've never braked and then subsequently realized that you're not going to stop in time, and got off the brakes and initiated a swerve. It's really hard to do the later when the front end has totally bottomed out.
Why?

Thanks
CA Stu

PS Do you own a KLR?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #15
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu
Why?
Because one of the points of a functioning front suspension is to help the tire maintain traction with the road surface. Once the suspension is bottomed out, it is no longer doing this. Even on mirror smooth pavement it isn't doing this let alone rough. So, if you want to go directly from a bottomed out front suspension to initiating a hard swerve, well ...... It's of course not that helpful either in maintaining traction on an uneven surface when braking in a straight line.

Quote:
PS Do you own a KLR?
I used to. So, you're creating a new policy here for AdvRider that you can only comment on threads related to bikes you currently own?

crazybrit screwed with this post 08-14-2007 at 02:03 PM