User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,199
Which used trials bike to look for???

OK, I have been passively looking for a good used used trials bike for some time now. After attending the Sipapu National Trials last weekend, the passive looking has moved to active.
What brand, size, year and model should I look for, and more importanly, which ones to avoid?

I have a line on a '02 Sherco 290. Are there any known problems with this model?
For example; I really like the Montesa four stroke, but heard that the early models had FI problems. That knocks the used ones out of contention for me.
I have been doing research and of course every new years model has "many improvements". For my trials skill level, I am sure that most of these improvements fall into the law of diminishing returns.

I just don't want to buy the trials world's version of Honda's v-tec or BMW's stoopit linked brakes.

Any help with my quest will be appreciated!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:24 PM   #2
supercreep

Oddometer: 1,392

supercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
Gordy OP
Team Listo

When did HD buy out Segway??

It would be a bitch to clean a narrow section on that one.

I'm thinking;

First one to post a Rascal pic, and I'm going to brain them with my cane!!
Old 08-14-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
cevquit
maphead

Oddometer: 637
For beginners first choice, if you are serious, I would pick a beta 270, 02-03 or newer. They are very well built and are very easy to ride, good smooth power band and good suspension. An excellent bike for both begginer and seasoned veteran.With a weighted fly wheel they feel like they have an electric motor. Beta also has an excellent US distributor, makes geting parts easier.
Next choice would be a montessa t315 2stroke again very well built, motor by hrc, good handling. Next would be a scorpa 125 or 160 4 stroke, yamaha powered, easy riding and bullit proof motors.
The sherco 290 and the Gas Gas 270-300's are more of an upper level riders bike. Very snappy for a trials bike, not what a begginner wants. I have also found that , as far as gas gas is concerned they have been very agressive in saving weight, with makes for a more breakable bike, they dont take the abuse as well as a beta or montessa. Gas Gas also makes a 200 which is a very good bike, but still somewhat lacking in the duability department.
I learned one thing when I bought my montessa, dont buy a used trials from an intermediate level rider, get one from an expert or a beginner. The beginner will not try the knarly stuff and throw the bike away not making it, the ex/pro wont throw the bike away becuase they can make the knarly stuff. But the intermediate, has the hankerin to go big but not the skills and will abuse the bike by tossing it off of 6' ledges and drop it down a 12' face into the rocks. I bought a bike from a long time intermediate, though i didnt know it at the time, and he rode the hell out of it. Consequently it was worn out, and as I progressed i found myself tossing it off of ledges and into 3' deep creeks abusing it as bad as the previous owner.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #5
cevquit
maphead

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercreep

Thats funny, almost as funny as the local PD's bomb squad got 4 of those things @12k a piece. It was a riot watching a bomb squad guy in all his gear noodling around as the LE bigwigs went on and on about how safe they will make us from terrorists.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:09 PM   #6
Gordy OP
Team Listo

cevquit,

That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks!

I had heard that there was some fairly significant manner differences between all of them.

The last time I rode trials was on a TL125 punched out to 150! I was doing it in the amateur class as cross-training for MX, but really enjoyed it. Should never have quit.

I am all over looking for the Beta.

Thanks again!!
Old 08-14-2007, 08:17 PM   #7
DRinda505
I'm right behind you.

Oddometer: 407
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
cevquit,

That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks!

I had heard that there was some fairly significant manner differences between all of them.

The last time I rode trials was on a TL125 punched out to 150! I was doing it in the amateur class as cross-training for MX, but really enjoyed it. Should never have quit.

I am all over looking for the Beta.

Thanks again!!
Try one of the Gamma Gamma Gamma rides. They will move when you ride them.

sorry, couldn't resist. I could hook you up with Bill's email, you could probably ride several models on a club ride day. PM me if interested.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:31 PM   #8
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRinda505
Try one of the Gamma Gamma Gamma rides. They will move when you ride them.

sorry, couldn't resist. I could hook you up with Bill's email, you could probably ride several models on a club ride day. PM me if interested.
what are you typing about???

PUI ??
Old 08-14-2007, 08:45 PM   #9
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,793
fwiw, I just started last year and after riding them all, I went with the Beta. For a beginner like me, the smooth power and 50/50 weight distribution of the Beta is almost like cheating It'll climb like it has 4WD.

I started as a complete noob in the Novice class last October and have moved all the way up to Intermediate already. I have a good coach, and have had lots of practice. Be warned, though, trials is so adicting, it ought to be illegal
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:48 PM   #10
Mukluk25
Hitchhiking to Bingo

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
When did HD buy out Segway??

It would be a bitch to clean a narrow section on that one.

I'm thinking;

First one to post a Rascal pic, and I'm going to brain them with my cane!!
Sweet Gote...btw
Old 08-14-2007, 09:27 PM   #11
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,931
Here's my two cents. I've been competing at trials off and on for over twenty years. I ride the local Expert or Sportmans class, depending on how I feel. My current ride is a 250 Beta Rev 3. I agree and disagree with some of the info so far.

If you are buying used, I would try and find a bike from a novice or lower class rider. A top level Expert can be very hard on a machine. A lot of older afluent riders will buy a new bike every year. Try and snap one of these machines up. Buying a used trials bike is like buying any other used dirt bike. Look it over good. Pay special attention to the wheels. Still round? No broken spokes and banged up wheels? Make sure the brakes and clutch all work smoothly. Check all the bearings, etc. Straight bars and levers? Trials riding is about precision and a worn out bike is miserable to ride.

The modern 272cc machines all have a lot of snap. Don't pay any attention to advertised numbers. GG, Sherco and Beta are all 272cc. I believe the Scorpa is a 250cc and a Montesa 315 is a 250cc. Beta makes a 250 as does GG and Sherco, but these are imported in limited numbers, because Americans always want big bikes. So in the used market, 250's can be hard to find. You can ride a 272, it just won't be as forgiving as the 250.

Plus as mentioned earlier, there are 200's available. Again, hard to find in the used market. If your a big guy or ride at altitude, I would not recommend one. If not and you find a clean version, 200's are fine. Patrick Smage can ride and bridge gaps on his 125 that we can't do on our big bikes.

GG Pros have gotten a bum rap about reliability. I owned a 03 280 Pro for two years. In the hands of an average rider, you've got nothing to worry about. But if I had to chose, I'd pick the Beta and Monty for stone axe reliablity. The GG Editions or models before the Pros were bullet proof. If you can find one of those, it would be a good choice also.

I personally don't like the Montesa 315's. They handle differently than the others. Just takes some getting used to, but they are built by Honda and very good quality.

I would not get stuck on any one particual model. You just want to find the bike in the best condition, in your price range. If the bike functions properly, it will be yourself holding you back, not the bike.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:34 PM   #12
Gordy OP
Team Listo

I am having little luck finding anything close in my price range. I have some phone #s to try tomorrow though.

I may have to make it look like a KTM so my wife won't notice the wierd bike in the garage.

Lots of good info here, thanks!
Old 08-14-2007, 09:50 PM   #13
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,931
What's your price range?
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:20 PM   #14
Gordy OP
Team Listo

I'm trying to stay under 3.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:07 PM   #15
cevquit
maphead

Quote:

I am having little luck finding anything close in my price range. I have some phone #s to try tomorrow though.

I may have to make it look like a KTM so my wife won't notice the wierd bike in the garage.

Lots of good info here, thanks!
I was looking for a new trials bike and ended up with a ktm 640 and the wife noticed.