Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2007, 09:18 AM   #16
KenR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,664
A couple of years ago I bought a used 2001 Montesa 315 Cota from an expert level rider. The thing was beat to hell and I did a frame-up rebuild on it replacing a lot of worn out stuff. I really enjoyed the process and got a great deal on the bike otherwise it wouldn't have been worth it.

You should certainly be able to find something in your price range in decent shape. I looked for about six months and saw a lot of abused machines. Pay attention to wheel condition, footpegs, axle bolts and adjusters, fork tubes, etc. The little things add up quick.

Have fun!
KenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:59 AM   #17
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,178

I would go with one that is beat down for a beat down price.
That would be OK, but would probably push me out of this years riding season.

Still looking this morning............
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:05 AM   #18
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy

I would go with one that is beat down for a beat down price.
That would be OK, but would probably push me out of this years riding season.

Still looking this morning............
wasn't MR Cob selling one a while back? don't recall if he sold it or not...

would loove to get a used learner also. for me and the kids. would be a great way to get them into motorcycles.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:20 AM   #19
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,344
I am new into Trials riding and bought a Montesa 315. I found it at a Trials event, I guy was upgrading to a Honda 4 stroke. (good place to look, or the local Trials club) It was in really good shape and it cost me $ 3,000.00. Of course a had to fix/upgrade it and that was a lot of fun. It made me want to restore an older one some day. I rebuild suspension, pegs, handlebar, levers ect. I didn't have to do any of work, but, couldn't resist.

I'm a Honda fan so it works for me, plus it will get handed down to my wife and son someday.

Good luck, be patient, you will find the right bike at the right price...Jim
Old 08-15-2007, 10:22 AM   #20
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood

would loove to get a used learner also. for me and the kids. would be a great way to get them into motorcycles.

Lot's of bang for the buck! I see lots of kids at the events. Some are on the minis and some of the 10-14 year olds are really good. I think this appeals to the X-Games sports that they watch, if you can get them interested. My oldest daughter went to the national with her boyfriend. They had never been to any M/C event and were blown away by the talent exibited.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:33 AM   #21
dagwood
Banned

Quote:
Lot's of bang for the buck! I see lots of kids at the events. Some are on the minis and some of the 10-14 year olds are really good. I think this appeals to the X-Games sports that they watch, if you can get them interested. My oldest daughter went to the national with her boyfriend. They had never been to any M/C event and were blown away by the talent exibited.

I can't believe my kids got this old with me around and never caught the bug.
the 18 secretly lusts after my Lc4 but dagwife is way over the top about him riding.
the 13 yo would kill himself in 0-flat. no fear is an understatement...and common sense is a reach
I figure a trials bike would settle her fear and Reed wouldn't actually kill himself on one. but even that is a reach.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:24 PM   #22
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,207
Don't you need a new couch first? Sandy could help Debbie pick one out.

What is the worst that could happen?

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:53 PM   #23
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
Thumb

If you are new, a 200 cc will do fine. Power is not required as the bikes are geared so low and the engines are torquey right off idle. A Gas Gas 200 Pro would be an awesome first time bike. Many top riders use the smaller engine bikes, and for you traction will not be a problem in the slick stuff.

Some Beta's have clutches that wouldn't release when cold, causing it to be hard to put into gear or shift for the first while. As well, the kicker is on the left side, some find this odd. Great build quality though...typical Italian finish. The 250 Beta is a killer motor...you will not need 270-300 CC's...and yes, it is an American thing.

I have a Scorpa with the Yamaha engine, and it's really soft on the bottom end, but hits like a freight train when the revs are up, for a hill climb or a splatter. Bullet-proof engine, but the carb is Yamaha's old TK piece of dung. However, a very very good bike. One of the first flyweight bikes. (160 lbs in 2000)

Montesa's have the reputation of one of the better drive trains, little things like 2 seals on the water pump etc. (2 stroke)

Sherco was originally the retro version of Bultaco...and were a clone of the previous Gas Gas in a lot of ways. Andreu Codina left GG and started Bultaco/Sherco. Good bikes and one of the strongest dealer/importer networks.

Go to a National event and see who is there as far as factory support trailers...then see who is in your area, as this is how you should choose.

The bikes are ridiculously close for the average rider. Choose by the network closest to you. If you need a non generic part, you'll want your dealer to be close.

Watch how much your road riding and general off road riding improve with a trials bike as a cross trainer. Can you say "David Knight"?

I have had a 91 Yamaha TY 250, a 97 Beta Techno 250, a 99 Bultaco 250 and now the Scorpa 250. I've ridden all the others, and as Sammy Miller always says, it's not the bike, it's the rider.

Good choice on a newer toy. You will just love those great little bikes.
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:05 PM   #24
cueball
should'a walked it first

Oddometer: 723
i have a 2001 scorpa 250---great bike, bulletproof yamaha motor, lightweight, good suspension. i don't really ride it antmore, might be convinced to sell it or trade for a good dualsport??
cueball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:47 PM   #25
Ned1
Lend Me Yu Choppa

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood

He was. It lives in the BC mountains now and has a good diet of alpine ridge riding and snotty one track where an enduro just aint gonna happen....

Ned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:57 PM   #26
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball
i have a 2001 scorpa 250---great bike, bulletproof yamaha motor, lightweight, good suspension. i don't really ride it antmore, might be convinced to sell it or trade for a good dualsport??

It's small enough. You could take it apart and ship it UPS!
Old 08-15-2007, 03:01 PM   #27
dagwood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned1
He was. It lives in the BC mountains now and has a good diet of alpine ridge riding and snotty one track where an enduro just aint gonna happen....

Old 08-15-2007, 03:02 PM   #28
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR
If you are new, a 200 cc will do fine. Power is not required as the bikes are geared so low and the engines are torquey right off idle. A Gas Gas 200 Pro would be an awesome first time bike. Many top riders use the smaller engine bikes, and for you traction will not be a problem in the slick stuff.
Would the smaller engine be a problem at altitude? We typically ride at 7-10,000 feet. Some of the guys I ride enduro with have the 200 KTMs and they are puked out at anything over 9,000.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:09 PM   #29
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance
Don't you need a new couch first? Sandy could help Debbie pick one out.

What is the worst that could happen?

You had to remind me of that... ..........and no, I can't afford your wife's help!
Old 08-15-2007, 03:17 PM   #30
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
Quote:
Would the smaller engine be a problem at altitude? We typically ride at 7-10,000 feet. Some of the guys I ride enduro with have the 200 KTMs and they are puked out at anything over 9,000.

The riders I know will re-jet for the higher altitudes. (not req'd on the Montesa 4 stroke with EFI)

As well, you can advance the timig for that particular day or trip. If you will be mainly imitating an enduro bike or basic trail ridng, 250 would be good, however if you want to compete in a club trials event or ride the tight technical stuff, smaller is better.
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote