User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
coomar OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Best DualSport for TALL Rider?

Any suggestions for dual sports which would be a better fit for a taller (6'7" / 280 lbs) person?

I've read the KTM Adventurer has a high seat height, and I've ridden a BMW GS1150 before-- fit was OK-- any suggestions?? The issue typically is my legs-- too long!

Uses will mostly be road riding, some firetrails.

Thanks!
coomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
none of them will be great stock. All of the 650cc+ have taller seats and footpeg lowering brackets available or custom sources. Don't base your decision on initial fit.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
divedeep
Function, not fashion

Oddometer: 172
I am 6' 4" about 200 lbs and have found the KTM 640 Adv to be a good fit. It is a tall bike and most of my friends can't reach the ground when they sit on it but it is perfect for me. I have ridden a few different KLRs and they feel on the small side for me. Definitely sit on and ride as many bikes as you can - buy what feels right for you. Hope this helps.
divedeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:28 PM   #4
ttp
Too old for dirt bikes?

Oddometer: 56
My current scooter is a Honda XR650L. It's tall, too tall for many riders in the esteemed opinions of many fellow Advrider inmates. Works for me though and I'm just 6'.

Present scooter: '01 XR650L
ttp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:37 AM   #5
KenR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
6'-5", 210 lbs here and ride a 640 Adventure and 950 Adventure. Both have Renazco tall seats, under-bar mount dampers and taller bars. Both are very comfortable.
KenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:50 AM   #6
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 17,208
I can't believe noone mentioned the 950 Super Enduro. 37 + inch seat height
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:52 AM   #7
idahoskiguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
+1 for the 640 ADV or the 950/990 ADV for a tall guy. You will most likely want to raise the bars and that is easily done.
idahoskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:01 AM   #8
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,169
Without starting a war, I'll say that a big ole GS is no dual sport, neither is the KTM 950/990's.

As unaweep mentioned, the KTM 990/950 line is nice and tall, I will be getting a KTM 990 S because of their seat height. But like others, I put a lot of miles on my DR650 in short order too! (20,000 in 10 months) So don't be afraid of the smaller dual sports, you can travel on them as well (I road it from Iowa to the Arctic Ocean and back) There is something great about small lightweight bikes like the DR650's and XR's. Light is reletive, coming off street bikes, I've found that they are a blast! I think you'd like the smaller bike for firetrails as you mentioned.

If/when you get a corbin seat for the DR, you can have it raised an inch and that helps a lot for folks like us with long legs. (no extra charge from Corbin to do this) Also, some ebach springs front and rear helped out a lot too.

I am 6'8" and 300lbs.

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:05 AM   #9
SpringOly
Old Swede

Oddometer: 187
KTM 640 Adventure works for me as well!

Yes, indeed. The KTM 640 Adventure is great for me at 6' 4". Tall Renzaco seat, Loaded's under bar tall Damper w/ Scotts, Fastways pegs. Thinking about the Pastrana bars - tho' feels pretty good now.

Good Luck!

SpringOly
SpringOly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:49 AM   #10
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters
big ole GS is no dual sport, neither is the KTM 950/990's.

the SE and HP2 rip in the desert but get hung up on loose and steep cuz they are heavy. But dude said "mostly road riding and some fire trails" and that means a single might not be the best . SE i s the tallest bike i have sat on . @ 6' 4" i can get balls of my feet on the ground. If you want sick power just for grins it cant be beat, but no it's not for running enduros cuz mortals cant press it too hard without getting bitten. But fire roads and bumpy backroad tarmac, forget about it there is nothing better out there
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:15 AM   #11
scottpoley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
tallest ever??

I had a 500cc Can-Am Sonic dual sport that had a 39" seat height, but they may be hard to find at this point
scottpoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:04 PM   #12
coomar OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thanks for your replies. I DO appreciate it.

Not sure the bike I'm looking for has been made yet-- but I'm going have a look at all of 'em. I'm new to this-- and have been monitoring the critical statements about the KTM-- and reliability is a KEY factor for me-- as I'm no gear-head. I just love to RIDE! But I need power-- that rush from a powerful mill-- the KTM 950 SM may be the answer-- we'll see.

THANKS again.
coomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:15 AM   #13
talltony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Seat height has nothing to do with comfort,it only matters when you stop -i.e. can you reach the ground.The important measurements are from seat to pegs and from seat to bars and as has been said whatever bike you decide on,you'll probably need lowered pegs and bar risers.The position of the pegs relative to the seat in a fore and aft direction can also be important as it dictates knee angle.
I'm 6'5" and ride a Dakar with bar risers,lowered pegs and an inch of foam under an Airhawk on the OEM seat.
The screen can pose more problems for tall riders as the air blast is usually in the wrong place.After much fiddling around with screen position and angles,I cut the top 'flip' off the dakar screen and it's now much quieter.
Don't dwell on seat height, go with the bike want and be prepared to alter it to fit.
Tony
Old 08-17-2007, 05:15 AM   #14
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
I have problems with this too, and I'm only 6'4 (but I do have unreasonably long legs).

You can buy a high seat from the KTM performance catalogue for the EXCs, I imagine you can for the rest of the range too.

Or... on any bike you can get a custom seat made.
5th-Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:29 AM   #15
drmajor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
BEst Dual Sport - Tall

Don't over look the KTM 525 EXC. Seems that it is now street legal. So is the Husaberg and now the Husky.

I had a 520 and at 250 lbs w/ 50 hp, lets say it's a ball of fun and REALLY handles like no KLR, XR, or 640 can even dream of. Put tires on appropriate to terrain.

If you plan to spend long miles on it, the KTM 640 is still pretty nice.

The KLR is an interesting bike- Not great at anything except no problems. Not bad at anything either. After all, they have had ages to make it right.
drmajor is offline   Reply With Quote