Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2007, 06:55 AM   #1
radguzzi OP
The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer: 5,537
Importing to Canada.. What is a "Statement of Compliance Label"...?

I have been in contact with a fellow that wants to import my '04 Moto Guzzi EV into Ontario, Canada and there are some hoops to jump through.
Not a big ta-do really... I have a few forms to gather for him, tittle documents, registration , sales receipts and the manufacturer's recall clearance letter.

There is one thing called "Statement of Compliance Label" that has me a little confused...
Anyone here know what the actually is... It soounds like something that would be obtained after all the paper work is completed...
Thanks,
Rob

Member: AMA - USCRA - MGNOC
radguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:06 AM   #2
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
Here's the definition on a car, however I dont' know where it would be on a bike. Maybe where the VIN is stamped?

What is a Statement of Compliance (SOC) label?
  • The Statement of Compliance Label is the label located on the pillar of the drivers door side. The label is affixed by the Original Equipment Manufacturer at time of manufacturing stating that "the vehicle as manufactured to comply with all US Federal emission, bumper and safety standards on the date of manufacture". Failing that, we will accept a letter from the manufacturer stating the same. Other information contained on the label/letter would also include the Vehicle Identification Number, make, model, date of manufacture, gross vehicle weight ratings and axle weight ratings.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:06 AM   #3
lineareagle
philomath

Oddometer: 502
Compliance

There is a sticker on the frame that states the machine was manufactureed according to the standards of the time. Usually has references to emissions etc.
lineareagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:37 AM   #4
radguzzi OP

Good, got one of those... However, how does the SOC for the US model qualify the vehicle for compliance when importing to Canada..?

Is this just to insure that it has one and Canada will accept this as a basis for mods if needed...?
Thanks,
Rob

Old 08-17-2007, 07:42 AM   #5
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
www.riv.ca can answer most of your questions.

Canada Customs will check your vehicle against
Transport Canada’s list of Vehicles Admissible from
the United States. They will also verify the public
VIN and manufacturer’s statement of compliance
label on the vehicle to make sure they match.

so ya...l think it's just used to verify the bike is what you're claiming it to be.

The Registrar of Imported Vehicles will mail a
Canadian statement of compliance label to you after
passing the federal inspection

Info taken from this 2mb pdf file:
http://www.riv.ca/pdfs/LI_RIV_E.pdf
Old 08-17-2007, 07:47 AM   #6
gsstampeder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
the soc sticker is just that....it is to inform the inspector that the bike meets all the critieria to allow importation to canada. I bought a bike in the states and drove it in to canada. I only had to pay $195 import tax and the GST. once in canada (alberta) I had to have a out-of-province inspection and then go to a Canadian Tire store to have the paperwork completed. that's where they check the soc sticker.
i also had to fax the boarder crossing station i went thru a copy of the title 3 days before crossing. this allows the authorities to run a serial check on the vehicle to make sure it's not stolen.
gsstampeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:55 AM   #7
radguzzi OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by humvee
www.riv.ca can answer most of your questions.

so ya...l think it's just used to verify the bike is what you're claiming it to be.

The Registrar of Imported Vehicles will mail a
Canadian statement of compliance label to you after

passing the federal inspection

Info taken from this 2mb pdf file:
http://www.riv.ca/pdfs/LI_RIV_E.pdf
Ahh, yes I have that link from the fellow in Ontario... I must have skipped over te area where htat was discussed, found upon third look in a section that talked about "What to do After the Vehicle Enters Canada"... few pargraphs in... oops.

It talks right to afixxing the label afterwards and all that...

So, that part will not be my action, rather the new owner's responsibility after the m/c gets there... cool.

Thanks much,
Rob

"The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer." - Edward R. Murrow

Old 08-17-2007, 08:50 AM   #8
Suncoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
importing to Canada

Make sure the buyer faxes the title,and bill of sale to the US customs at least 3 days before exporting the bike, if he doesn't do this and US customs hasn't cleared the bike for export they could sieze the bike or impose fines on him if he ever travels to the US on the bike.
It's a really simple process I rode my bike up from Arizona
Suncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:40 AM   #9
radguzzi OP

Fax, just the Fax mam...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast
Make sure the buyer faxes the title,and bill of sale to the US customs at least 3 days before exporting the bike, if he doesn't do this and US customs hasn't cleared the bike for export they could sieze the bike or impose fines on him if he ever travels to the US on the bike.
I noticed that warning on the site...

How do we find the fax number for the paticular crossing that he will use...?

I also noticed that one can have two failed attempts to get the vehicle inspected (paying each time..) then it must be exported (deported... ?) back to the US.

Can you shed some light on the details of the inspection process having done this...?

I cannot imagine any issues as the m/c is fairly recent ( new in 2004) and I have all the other documants, I'd just like an idea of what to tell him of what I have been told by you folks in the know.

Thanks very much,
Rob

Old 08-17-2007, 11:15 AM   #10
Suncoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
importing to Canada

The buyer shoulf know where he's going to bring the vehicle across then do a search for the US border station at the crossing, in my case I crossed over at Blaine Wa. you could e-mail them I still have the e-mail address they should be able to advise you of the e-mail for the crossing your buyer wants to use BLAINE-EXPORT@customs.treas.gov They were very helpful. To register in Canada there will be 2 parties to satisfy, Federal and Provincial. I live in B.C. and in BC the government doesn't require provincial inspections on motorcycles imported only on Cars/trucks etc. So in my case I just had to have the inspection to satisfy the federal registrar of imported vehicles www.riv.ca (this consisted of some nose picker at the canadian tire auto centre which is one step above the wal-mart auto centre coming out and having me show him where the setrial# was on my bike he looked at that and compared it to the one supplied by the RIV and that was it.) 2 weeks later I recieved my sticker from the RIV and I was totally legal.
If your buyer is importing to a different province than BC then they may have provincial inspections to do. The only requirement on a motorcycle that I know of is headlight on at all times NOT switched I think most bikes in the states already have this requirement. Don't stress about it it seems kinda intimidating to start with but it really is easy once you get the ball rolling and it seems as though you've got almost everything started. Let us know how it goes
one last thing, the RIV inspection that I'm refering to was pre-paid when you drop the $200.00 ish at the canadian customs to enter the riv program. possibly if you fail the first one you have to pay for the second one, I think that probably refers more to cars that need more serious and expensive modifications to their safety features. Lucky for us bikes have no safety features :)
Suncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:12 PM   #11
radguzzi OP

Quote:
The buyer shoulf know where he's going to bring the vehicle across then do a search for the US border station at the crossing, ..... in my case I just had to have the inspection to satisfy the federal registrar of imported vehicles www.riv.ca ..... If your buyer is importing to a different province than BC then they may have provincial inspections to do. The only requirement on a motorcycle that I know of is headlight on at all times NOT switched I think most bikes in the states already have this requirement. Don't stress about it it seems kinda intimidating to start with but it really is easy once you get the ball rolling and it seems as though you've got almost everything started. Let us know how it goes
Yup, good stuff... I'll have him arrange where he is planning to cross and get that info as well as whether there are any Provincial Inspections.

The headlight is an auto on...

Now one last thing... This all sounds like the inspection takes place AFTER the m/c has been allowed to come into Canada... After faxing the title and Bill of Sale...

Do I get that correctly...? Do they just wave him through and he must proceed to Canadian Tire...? Weird...

Thanks very much,
Rob

Old 08-17-2007, 12:17 PM   #12
plz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by radguzzi
Now one last thing... This all sounds like the inspection takes place AFTER the m/c has been allowed to come into Canada... After faxing the title and Bill of Sale...

Do I get that correctly...? Do they just wave him through and he must proceed to Canadian Tire...? Weird...
Yes they just wave him through and he can proceed wherever he wants. But when it comes time to register the bike is when all the paperwork will be required. No paperwork, no local plate. The registration is done after the border crossing, the customs folks don't really care about registration at the border.
plz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:28 PM   #13
radguzzi OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by plz
Yes they just wave him through and he can proceed wherever he wants. But when it comes time to register the bike is when all the paperwork will be required. No paperwork, no local plate. The registration is done after the border crossing, the customs folks don't really care about registration at the border.
Well that is too cool...

Sounds like we have a go...

Thanks much,
Rob

Old 08-17-2007, 01:47 PM   #14
radguzzi OP

US or Canadian registration...?

Quote:

Suncoast,
Ok so I lied, this is the last thing...

I am wrting back to the fellow in Canada to tell him all this, how does he legally ride a m/c that is not yet inspected across the border...? The insurance can be obtain prior but what about the registration...?

Do I sign mine over to him...?

Thanks very much, you guys have been very helpful.

Rob

Old 08-17-2007, 03:40 PM   #15
CGH
Polluting the ether

Oddometer: 19,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by radguzzi
Suncoast,
Ok so I lied, this is the last thing...

I am wrting back to the fellow in Canada to tell him all this, how does he legally ride a m/c that is not yet inspected across the border...? The insurance can be obtain prior but what about the registration...?

Do I sign mine over to him...?

Thanks very much, you guys have been very helpful.

Rob
I'll weigh in as I'm doing exactly the same thing right now, only with a little bigger vehicle (Freightliner).

The inspections occur in Canada and there are two; 1) the federal government's (under the purview of RIV) which is to ensure the vehicle meets applicable standards as at the time of manufacture, and 2) the provincial government's which is to ensure the vehicle can be licensed for road use (this also applies to province-to-province vehicle transfers). A possible third inspection could be necessary to satisfy their insurance company, but this is generally only on vehicles older than ten years old.

The RIV inspection must occur within 45 days of import. The provincial inspection only occurs if, and when, they want to put the vehicle on the road.

If the buyer has his own insurance, then he'll likely need a temporary permit from your state to get him to the border. The state permit may allow him to get all the way home, or he may then have to travel under a similar permit issued by his province. For example, the permit available from Alberta can only be used in Canada. He might also be able to use his own license plate as there is usually a grace period of a few days to a couple of weeks before the vehicle has to registered.

Again, at the border they are only interested in customs issues, which has nothing to do with registering the vehicle, only importation.

The buyer only needs the title and a bill of sale from you. Up here, plates (registration) and insurance do not follow the vehicle.

My insurance saga here.

CGH screwed with this post 08-17-2007 at 03:52 PM
CGH is offline   Reply With Quote