Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
Hodakaguy OP
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,017
Touratech 1150GS Adventure Tank Gaurds, Anyone using them?

Looking at the Tank gaurds for a 1150GS Adventure from Touratech. Anyone using them? Are they worth it? Fit, Finish? Pics?

Here's a link: http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/sh...553D479ED5E50D

Thanks,

Hodakaguy
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
Norsman
...a GSophile

Oddometer: 2,347
I have them... see pics in my smugmug. Link in sig line below.

I've never seen another GS with them... not sure why.
Norsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
Norsman
...a GSophile

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsman
I have them... see pics in my smugmug. Link in sig line below.

I've never seen another GS with them... not sure why.
I take that back... I don't have the one's pictured on your link. Mine are hepco becker tank bars.
Norsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:54 PM   #4
LilDirtRat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256

LilDirtRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:08 PM   #5
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,706
I don't have them. So far the tank has not hit the ground.

Just a detail I try to keep in check. Always keep the tank, UP.

Besides, I thought tank protectors were artillery?
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:49 AM   #6
alikerimbey
lame adventurer

Oddometer: 138
I had them on this bike.

They are primarily a cosmetic item that protects the cosmetics of the bike. I had noticed a few scratches on the tank from slow speed drops and tip overs before I put them on, so it seems that they would protect the tank from that sort of thing. They might also save the tank from some real damage if you were unlucky enough to drop the bike on a rock or something. They won't do very much to protect the tank in a bigger crash, as I sadly proved a few months ago when I wrote off that bike. Still, it is good to protect the bits that stick out, right?

Fit and finish were generally fine, although one of the tabs that goes under the tank didn't fit the tank perfectly. They attach with double face tape, so you only get one shot at putting them on properly. I had the bright idea of mounting them with magnetic strips, but they were too heavy for the magnets to hold them on.

Anyway, I liked them well enough and may put another set on my new bike.

Cheers.
alikerimbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:50 AM   #7
Oro D
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
I have them. The only thing I didn't like was the double sided tape. I used some 3M double sided because it's better than the stuff they sent. The problem with the tape is that it doesn't allow the pieces to fit perfectly against the tank and like it was stated above, you only get one shot when putting them on.

I am going to take mine back off and use some 3M Super Weatherstrip adhesive instead of the double sided tape. I will use some masking tape to hold them in place while the adhesive drys.

As far as protection goes, when I bought a used Adventure tank most of the minor damage that was on the tank was right on the front bottom corners. These will protect the tank from that type of damage.

And they look really good. Now I just need a beak extender.

Grizzy.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:57 AM   #8
Zombie73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
GrizzyBear

Let me know how that adhesive rigging goes. I have been thinking about buying a set as well (to protect as well as cover what I already did to one corner). Some details and a pic would be appreciated if you ever get around to doing this. Later on...
Zombie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:53 AM   #9
Oro D
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharma Bum
Let me know how that adhesive rigging goes. I have been thinking about buying a set as well (to protect as well as cover what I already did to one corner). Some details and a pic would be appreciated if you ever get around to doing this. Later on...
I will post and let you know how it worked.

Grizzy.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:27 PM   #10
dr. jones
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
i have them too. i put them on and the very next night dropped my bike in the garage. the guards saved me a scratch, though i doubt they would help in anything bigger.

i originally used the adhesive tape but one fell off in a matter of days. i reapplied with marine caulk and they are on for good.

personally, i think they look good and match the beak plastic.
dr. jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:54 PM   #11
Raymee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
I got 'em too. Finally put them to use last week when I did 5 mph drop on a dirt berm they worked great to protect the tank but did nothing to prevent me from twisting the shit out of my ankle though.
I had to use a heat gun to bend the plastic a bit so they would fit the tank better. I also use industrial strength adhesive 1" wide Velcro for attachment, works great.
Raymee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:04 AM   #12
Oro D
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharma Bum
I finally got around to pulling my Touratech tank guards off and gluing them on instead of using double sided tape. They now fit closer to the tank and they are secured better. I would definetly consider gluing them on instead of using the double sided tape. Here are some pics;

Here she is all naked

The stuff I used for the job

I put a bead of the silicone all the way around the inside of the tank guard, about a 1/4 inch form the edge so water can't get under the guard. I used more silicone all over the middle and then taped it up securely. Note: Put your TT guard on the tank first to see if the lower thin strip needs to be heat bended a little. Mine did.

I let the silicone dry for several hours before removing the tape and voila!

Old 09-04-2007, 05:07 PM   #13
Zombie73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Looks great!

Thanks for the detailed install. Knowing about possibly having to heat the edges is good to know, instead of finding out after I installed them. I have gone through some serious cash as of late on my GSA as well as my Bonneville so in order to calm the storm in my other half I might wait a bit for this addition. At least a couple of weeks! When I do I will post pics of the aftermath. All this do it yourself work on my GSA is still very new to me and everything I have done so far is a adventure in itself. I just replaced my stock head guards with the aluminium Touratech guards, replaced the brake light with a LED kit, and some other little things and felt like a God amongst men (for a few minutes at least...). Take it easy.
Zombie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:18 PM   #14
VIPER6
VIPER6

Oddometer: 216
I love these things but did not but since I though the tape could allow dirt in there and so scratch. This sealant idea has revived my interest in the product!

Only thing is I hate permanent mods... will you ever be able to get them off again without damaging the paint??? If so, I may order some...
VIPER6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:45 PM   #15
Sgt Rock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
mine came with them on there. I can definately see the advantage in a low speed situation however at high or highway speeds I hope to never find out. I like the way they make the GS look

00 SuperHawk
Sgt Rock is offline   Reply With Quote