Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
clintnz OP
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,392
Motu-Matawai-Minginui Midwinter Madness 07

MMMMM 07

Most of the crew had managed to skive off work for the day or afternoon on Friday, Mark even started off on the scenic route up from Wellington on Thursday. None of these slackers can complain about work life balance! The advance guard made it to my place for dinner & a few ales on Friday night. We all got going in good time Saturday am, joined by Andrew for the run through some of the backroads on the way to Opotiki. At Opotiki we met up with the rest of the team & after getting fuelled up & caffeinated we set off up the Motu road, 70km of rugged gravel:

There was a varied selection of equipment along for the trip, the Nasty Nine consisted of a Triumph Scrambler, BMW HP2, G650X, 650GS, 1150GSA, KTM 990 Adv & 640 Enduro, Yamaha XT600 & a knobbly shod XT660X.

Misty Motu:

After a look at the Motu falls Garry let me loose on the HP2 for the trip on to the Matawai pub, Woo Hoo! what a machine!

A pie & a pint were consumed then it was off down the highway for a few km before turning up the Koranga Valley:

We wound our way to the end of the road & Journey's End Station, home of my friends the Shermans, where we installed ourselves in their rather salubrious shearer's quarters:

Anne had stocked the fridge with a few coldies for us so we kicked back & yarned about bikes for a bit then wandered up to the homestead for a great feed.

Sunday was going to be a big day so we were up & on the road by 8 to follow a web of mainly gravel backroads south to Wairoa;

We made it to Wairoa in good time for a fine brunch at the bakery then had a great blast under sunny skies on the tar-gravel-tar-gravel SH38 supermoto track up to Lake Waikaremoana, on the Eastern edge of Te Urewera National Park:

We had another fuel & snack stop at the Waikaremoana camp then cruised off around the lake & into the twisty gravel of Tuhoe country:

At Minginui we regrouped & a couple of the guys split for home via Murupara, while the rest of us struck out along the boundary between the vast Kaingaroa pine forests & the native bush of Whirinaki & Urewera. Some fairly serious pace was developed along the deserted straights of these isolated dirt roads

We emerged out onto the Napier-Taupo Highway & said goodbye to Scott who headed home to Hawke's Bay, the rest of us stopped in at the Rangitaiki Pub for a goodbye drink as the sun set on a great weekend's riding.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:30 PM   #2
LC4nicator
Certified Wino

Oddometer: 485
Ride Report

Nice Report Clint.
NZ looks great.
Tell me, how do you create a report with text, then a photo, then some text, then another photo etc.etc.
I can only seem to load one pic and then thats it.
Cheers,
Con.
2005 KTM 950 ADV
LC4nicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:47 PM   #3
clintnz OP
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4nicator
Nice Report Clint.
NZ looks great.
Tell me, how do you create a report with text, then a photo, then some text, then another photo etc.etc.
I can only seem to load one pic and then thats it.
Cheers,
Con.
Thanks Mate, Have a look here for the skinny on posting pics.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:39 PM   #4
Zukin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
My trip Report

Well what a weekend, I had an absolute blast with a great team of guys

After the uneventful trip from Napier to Taupo (except for the torrential rain just prior to Taupo) it had a good trip over.
I met with Young1 and TriBoy at BP Wairakei before we headed towards Clint640’s place on the lake.
We did have to stop in Rotorua while the Big KTM got some supplies
After we arrived and caught up with the others it was time to sit down to a fantastic meal of Chilli Beans and Chips, it was a good meal.
Then we sat around and talked about all manner of things about bikes.

Up on Sat morn at 6.30 to get ourselves ready for an 8am start so it would allow us enough time to get to the meeting place at Opotiki.

The driveway in and out of Clint640’s pad is an adventure in itself …

On the road just before 8am, and it didn’t take too long before we were riding off the black stuff and onto the gravel.
We completed a few short gravel roads before meeting up with the others in Opotiki, before a quick muffin and coffee.

We left Opotiki and headed for the Motu, a fantastic piece of road through some of North Island’s most rugged and remote country.

The weather was overcast with the odd passing shower, so that was good in that there was no dust, and the track was nice and sticky.

The group of 9 bikes held really good pace, and were only spread out for a few minutes at a time.
I was tail end Charlie for the most part, which was good, because I could stop and take the more scenic photos and to see the odd Scrambler take a close call with a water table after a water crossing…
We regrouped in Motu Township and then decided to head down to the Motu falls, which I must say are quite spectacular.

Then onwards and upwards, next stop was Matawai for a cold drink and hot pie. A great place where we again talked about bikes for a small while, this is the joys of having a good group of riders that ride as a group at a similar pace, it allows more smoko breaks….

Then onto Journeys End where our overnight accommodation awaits, as well as some great food, wine and beer. The hosts were incredible.
Complete with Underground carpark and good accommodation, sky television and good showers.

Someone didn’t think the conversation was too good though
Shame about the V8 race, there was a bit of mud flinging going around then!!
One of the quirky things we discussed, was “how many sheep does it take to become a real farmer?” and more importantly “how does one breed sheep when you don’t have a ram?”

Sunday was the bigger day of the 2, we again departed at 8am and headed South for Wairoa, of course along as many gravel roads we could find, the weather throughout the night was rather wet, which made the roads wet, but again no dust. We had a few rouge showers but nothing too damp.
Some fantastic roads in this part of the country, at times we were riding along ridges, and then we would drop into deep valleys, with towering hills and majestic rivers alongside the road.

Then it was onto probably the longest tar seal section of the trip into Wairoa (70km), stopping for brunch at Oslers Bakery in the main road, here is where the sun came out and stayed with us for the remainder of the day.

Then is was onto Lake Waikaremoana, for those of you that have not ridden this section of road, then you are missing one of the most scenic parts of the North Island you will see.

The odd bit of traffic, however for the most part the road was ours! I am not sure whether I would want to be riding this road in the middle of summer though?

Then it was time to say goodbye to 2 of the riders at the Minginui turnoff, as they has a long trip home and wanted to stick to the main road, whilst the rest of us headed South through the Whirinaki Forest to join up to the Napier Taupo Highway.

This probably turned out to be one of the highlights of the trip for me; I really enjoyed it, even though I managed to bottom out the suspension on the GS a few times.
Standing on footpegs whilst negotiating deep ruts is great fun.
The track varies from native bush, forestry into almost desert type terrain, so a bit of everything for everyone.

At the end of the track I sent my goodbyes and headed home for Napier getting back just before 6pm, so it was a good day riding

Thanks for organising it Clint, and I am keen to see more of the area
It was a great trip and look forward to the Waikato one.

Cheers Scott
Zukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:18 PM   #5
Oaters
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Thumb quodos and envy

you guys obviously had a ball - great pics and trip report thus far.
Oaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:01 AM   #6
NZGSer
Momentum is my friend

Oddometer: 166
Gotta be happy with that weekend

Ah, it was grand Thanks everyone, great company, good country to ride in and all up, a pretty good show. Like this shot of the lake

Cheers
Garry
Old 08-20-2007, 01:33 AM   #7
young1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
This is my favourite picture from the weekend. We were riding in to the Farm for the overnight stop, the air was so clear and the light with storm clouds and the sun breaking through was quite unusual.
Attached Images

young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:49 AM   #8
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,850
Nice weekend YFF had!! Great pics and ride, thanks for posting
Old 08-20-2007, 10:24 AM   #9
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Wrong side of the road

You guys are on the wrong side of the road, WTF, I remember when I was there everyone drove on the wrong side, please be careful.......... Great pics and story.
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:42 AM   #10
danno626
Boom goes the dynamite!

Oddometer: 106
I knew there was a reason why NZ hosted one of the greatest "Six Days" event....it has been near 20 years since I was there, but I clearly did not see enough from the pictures you have provided. Thanks!!!

Danno
2008 KTM 990 Adventure S
2011 Husaberg FE 570 S
danno626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:29 AM   #11
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,748
mmmmm - more photos

I will only try and fill in the gaps with the following.....

I took half of Thursday off and left home in Raumati Beach just after 12. The bike looked nice and clean and had a dainty new front tire....

I rode via Shannon and Ashurst up the Pohangina Valley West Rd where I stopped for a late lunch (sorry just about all my photos include "the tractor".

Then its was on via Apiti, Marton Block, Karewarewa, Upper Kawhatau, Omatane ,Ohutu , and Taoroa Junction where I stopped for a snack

It was getting colder and a nasty wind was getting up so I followed the Moawhango Valley Road to its end and then doubled back to Taihape. I arrived at 6pm and gassed up and had an early dinner of a Latte followed by a main course of pineaple lumps while sitting in the service station car park.

I then travelled on to Turangi via Waiouru and the Desert Road which had a high wind warning - which wasn't so bad untill it started to piss down halfway through. Trying to put on wet weather gear in the pitch black with howling winds and driving rain was not high on my list of 'must do' things but oh well... (to be continued after dinner)
Mark_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:44 AM   #12
XTC
Taz

Oddometer: 530
Another great MMMMM ride clint. Shame I was too late in hearing about this one and all spots taken by then. Looks like a lot of fun was had.
Andy.
XTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:22 AM   #13
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Friday 17th ....

I arrived about 7.30pm cold, wet and tired in Turangi and found found a cheap Motel. It bucketed down all night. The next morning wasnt any better...

Notice the high tech glove covers made out of shopping bags and black tape..

As I loaded up the bike and put my gear on the rain simply stopped. The sun came out and I had a lovely ride around lake Taupo and up to Rotorua. As I pulled into Rotorua at midday it started raining again. It stopped again around 3pm so I headed off to Lake Rotoiti for a look see...

Saw a sign saying 8km to Lake Okataina - never knew it existed so I thought it was worth a look.

how could anyone ride this bit of road without nailing it...

I went and waited outside Clint's place ... what a location...

Clint and the others arrived and a great feast was held and many lies told..
Old 08-21-2007, 02:40 AM   #14
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Saturday 18th and Sunday 19th

Everyone already knows the order of events so I'll simply add some more photos...

On the way to Opotiki

Half way through the Motu ... what a ride

Motu Falls

Lake Waikaremoana

The road around Lake Waikaremoana - what an awesome ride....

We won't mention the bit in the forest where I misjudged a corner - slide sideways up a 1mtr bank (suspension bottomed out at both ends), down the other side through a big ditch and back onto the track without falling off....

After a long long great day the ride back into Taupo

Also won't mention a certain BMW that ran out of gas coming out of the forest and again coming into the petrol station in Taupo..

Then back to Turangi to the same cheap motel for Sunday night.

Talk about totally rooted :)
Old 08-21-2007, 02:59 AM   #15
young1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
How can you have been "totally rooted" after your power nap on Saturday!!
young1 is offline   Reply With Quote