ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #6331
Pucker
This is gonna hurt

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrtracin View Post
Being an EX boat owner, i don't even want try to count the cost of water skiing

RIDE ON!
You got that right - what a money pit!

Decent boat (used) = $15K
Decent towing vehicle (used) = $15K
Decent ski = $500
Gas to tow boat = $0.25+ per mile
Gas to operate boat = $1 per mile

...or drop it all into a sailboat and travel for free.

Either way, the only thing more "off road" is a plane.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #6332
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
A portion of our federal and state taxes are allocated for maintenance of state and federal parks. Furthermore, the state of CA just found $67mm in unused park funds that had been misplaced. Instead of paying more taxes, maybe we should send our state accountants back to school to learn how to account for what we already have before giving them more for them to lose.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #6333
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
I bet they found the money in an old PayPal account.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #6334
ElMartillo
I See Faces...

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillum View Post
Ranger Station sign said "Closed". A zillion bikes coming out of the canyon, verified by a drive on down reveals the gate to be "OPEN". I will be at the top for sunset at 4:43 pm.
Which gate? Maple Springs and Skyline: CLOSED.
ElMartillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #6335
Kali Trailrider
PLATED X2

Oddometer: 462
CNF riding

Rode some areas around the Palomar Ranger District today

Only saw one coulpe out driving taking pictures. We had the whole place to ourselves.

Maybe CNF doesnt completely suck

A few pics

Cory

Kali TR

Old 12-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #6336
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Trailrider View Post
Rode some areas around the Palomar Ranger District today

Only saw one coulpe out driving taking pictures. We had the whole place to ourselves.

Maybe CNF doesnt completely suck

A few pics

Cory

Kali TR

Jerry. I like this one, how was the landing?
Old 12-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #6337
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,372
those gates should never be closed, period. no matter how many people go party up there. theres always someone who collects cans. other than that, paper waiste turns back into soil.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #6338
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
A portion of our federal and state taxes are allocated for maintenance of state and federal parks. Furthermore, the state of CA just found $67mm in unused park funds that had been misplaced. Instead of paying more taxes, maybe we should send our state accountants back to school to learn how to account for what we already have before giving them more for them to lose.
Golly gee guys! I'm sorry. It wasn't $67mm, it was over $280,000,000. . Let them figure out how to account for what they have before we give them another dime.

READ BELOW!

Oops--California Audit Finds Tons of “Lost” Cash
Townhall.com ^ | August 5, 2012 | Ann-Marie Murrell
Posted on August 5, 2012 7:14:19 AM PDT by Kaslin

Last May, Governor Jerry Brown threatened to close 70 state parks in order to help balance the budget and plug the holes of the sinking ship that is California.*

Immediately, park-loving activists went to work and through bake sales and donations, the public helped save 69 of the 70 parks.

But then, oops---California auditors recently looked under their government couch cushions and located over $286 million in “misplaced” funds.

From the L.A. Times (emphasis added):* “Gov. Jerry Brown's administration on Friday announced that $119 million more in untapped money was found in a sweeping audit of state accounts, bringing to more than $286.5 million the sum lawmakers were unaware of as they repeatedly cut government services…The additional money that lawmakers were unaware of includes funds for healthcare programs, reimbursement of crime victims and cleanup of underground petroleum tanks.”

“Unaware of”??* Even if I won the lottery and became a gazillionaire, I can’t imagine not being aware of $286.5 million.*

A Mercury News review found at least 17 accounts that “appeared to have significantly more serve cash than what individual departments reported to the finance department.”*

This sudden bounty of cash is causing a few more headaches for Brown.*

For one, the activists, local governments and non-profits that collected money to save the state parks are now asking for refunds.

"There was a sense of betrayal," said Carolyn Schoff, head of the California League of Parks Associations, an alliance of nonprofits. "We're the ones in the trenches raising funds for state parks, and now there's a dark shadow over us."

Another problem is the obvious—how in the world can one state “misplace” so much money?* Lots of finger wagging is happening, with each department scrambling to place blame elsewhere.

One of the largest discrepancies occurred within the Public Utilities Commission, which regulates telecommunications and energy services.

A spokeswoman for the commission said the accounting discrepancies are probably only "recording errors."

Sigh.

Democrat lawmakers are saying the audit “would not have changed how the state pieced together its budget this year”—yet these same lawmakers have used the funds to pay bills and according to the Times, the Legislature now owes them $4.3 billion (with a ‘b’), “a nearly sixfold increase since 2008.”*

These major monetary discrepancies perfectly explain why Republicans are constantly screaming and shouting about “big government”.* Any state that is so out of control that it can misplace enormous amounts of money—making politicians and Union fat cats richer and richer while her cities are filing bankruptcy--needs a major dose of checks and balances.

The good news in all of this is that perhaps these mishaps will result in some job openings to help boost California’s rising unemployment rate.* I suggest they start by hiring a few good accountants--and maybe an Oversight Committee or two.*

On a personal note--because I live here in La La Land-- I remain ever hopeful that the good citizens of California will finally see the light and will stop voting for the same old Democrats who seem intent on running this beautiful state further into the abyss.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #6339
Kali Trailrider
PLATED X2

Oddometer: 462
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Jerry. I like this one, how was the landing?
It was down hill... So it was not too bad.

Alot better then on the old XR650R!!

Oh I almost forgot... All gates were open.

Kali Trailrider screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 08:14 PM
Kali Trailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #6340
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucker View Post
You got that right

...or drop it all into a sailboat and travel for free.

My last boat, Allegiance, an Andrews 43 - original cost to build - $528,000 (luckily, I paid much less than that as the second owner)
33 sails for racing - $185,000
5 sails for delivery - $23,000
Ockham nav computer - $33,000
2 Loran Cs - $3800
1 Garmin GPS - $1600
$460/mth for the slip
$120/mth for bottom maintenance.

Too much more to list.................

The last two years I owned this boat, I added three sails - $21,000, a rebuild on the BMW diesel motor - $1500, new bottom paint, hull fairing, topside paint and non skid - $8700.

Sailboat, FREE, not quite...... FUN, most definitely!

I raced this boat into oblivion for over a decade, then sold it for $27,000. That's racing!

notmybikemodelname screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 08:27 PM
Old 12-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #6341
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,368
Well, it was bound to happen. I have been quietly going hooligan, sneaking in some time the last couple of Sundays. Today did some late afternoon loops dodging jeeps over at Wildomar OHV.

Hopefully nobody takes any pics of me on my new little toy cause it has to look ridiculous.

Probably could have tied the thing down to the back of my GSA but decided it was time to put something other than surfboards in the back of the old truck

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #6342
theGrinch
SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer: 1,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post
Well, it was bound to happen. I have been quietly going hooligan, sneaking in some time the last couple of Sundays. Today did some late afternoon loops dodging jeeps over at Wildomar OHV.

Hopefully nobody takes any pics of me on my new little toy cause it has to look ridiculous.

Probably could have tied the thing down to the back of my GSA but decided it was time to put something other than surfboards in the back of the old truck

Way to go todd, good to see you coming to your senses. ha ha ha.

Now go get a plated 650R or better yet KTM 525 with big bore kit, Big boy suspension a light kit and join us for the CNF nightrides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Who's the clueless noob?
theGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #6343
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post

It was bound to happen. Agree with Grinchy. Something street legal, or looks street legal

Congrats
Old 12-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #6344
Fat Nelly
Squid Filter Repair

Oddometer: 254
2 stroke

Way off CNF subject but thats what I like to see. Someone who can still ride a 2 stroke. Owning 1 should be a requirement of any 2 wheeled enthusiasts.
Probably going to start a firestorm with this one but 2 strokes make you better riders. You actually have to have skills past sitting on your ass and twisting a throttle like on a 4 stroke.
Long live premix!
Fat Nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #6345
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Nelly View Post
Long live the smell of premix!
fixed.