ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #6916
hbmichael
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
An adventure ride in CNF

Oh yes, last night was an adventure! Plans changed right from the beginning and my little enchanted forest had some surprises for us....
Met Jerry and Steve at the peak. They came from the east, me from the west. Nice easy ride to the top. Fire road was fun and the jimmy trail, grinch cut off and blazer trail were a blast. Shared some salutations at the top with Jerry and Steve. Kyle (?) showed up shortly after. We decided to take blazer down and head to old camp. Boy did it get interesting then! Without getting into too much detail, Steve took a NARLY tumble and ended up in a deep ravine. Luckily he and the bike were ok. The thick brush breaking his fall. Somehow, through sheer dogged determination we were able to push, lift, carry and just let tumble, his bike through the ravine and back to the trail. It seemed impossible at first, but we did it! We made it to old camp, beat, dirty and sweaty! Didnt stay long and rode the trail gingerly out to live oak and to Cooks by about 1am!
What a fuckin adventure we had. Yeah , CNF SUCKS!
Im beat this morning!
hbmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #6917
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. thumbs View Post
Not sure what or why yet. Autopsy scheduled or tomorrow.
I didn't touch it.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #6918
Cannabinoid
Banned

Oddometer: 739
this message is self destructing...

Cannabinoid screwed with this post 01-01-2014 at 09:17 AM
Cannabinoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #6919
Kali Trailrider
PLATED X2

Oddometer: 462
CNF-A night above the fog

Well it started out with plans to be home by 11pm!

We were burning a fast pace with plans to meet Michael at Cook's
I was rolling with two new guys one determined to succeed to other not so much. One turned back during one steep, long, rocky uphill in the back basin of CL. Steve and I picked up the pace and made it to the top of El Carriso TT at 7PM. Cook's was no longer an option... Called Michael... meet us at the peak!!

We got ot the peak just after sunset... An awesome red/orange sunset!

We hung out for a while then it was time to ride!!

We headed down Blazer trail... Steve was on an Infamous XR650R AKA "The BRP" and it is a pig/bitch!!

But Steve was game!! lets roll... the trail is steep and twisty, rocky, Oh and drops down to one side along most of the length of the trail.
Long story short Steve lost his balance on a little step up and was falling to the right with nothing but slope...
Down to a creek bed about 20-30 feet below. He was ok and seeing this happen right in my headlight in front of me it was a little scary.

I thought for sure his bike was unretrievable!! But Steve lead the charge in finding a way out with Michael down in the shit pushing through the rocks, tree trunks and bushes.
THIS IS WHERE YOU FIND OUT WHAT YOUR REALLY MADE OF!!
We were still about five miles from the nearest road and it was almost midnight. Our biggest concern was for retrieving his bike but after using my phone for a flashlight I thought... Shit I need to get a picture of this!!
So I got two and then my phone battery died.

We got it out!!
Just three guys out riding together helping each other out.

We ended up in OC a long way from home!!
We regrouped at Cook's it was now about 1:30AM!!
We rolled into MV for gas and then turned around and back up the mountain to the otherside!!
I walked in the door just after 4AM to a worried wife and a warm shower!!

Another great memory to be remembered around future campfires!!

Until next time boys!!!

Kali Trailrider screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 12:54 PM
Kali Trailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #6920
KICKNBACK
Over The Bars Club

Oddometer: 93
Not what Honda was thinking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Trailrider View Post
Well it started out with plans to be home by 11pm!

We were burning a fast pace with plans to meet Michael at Cook's
I was rolling with two new guys one determined to succeed to other not so much. One turned back during one steep, long, rocky uphill in the back basin of CL. Steve and I picked up the pace and made it to the top of El Carriso TT at 7PM. Cook's was no longer an option... Called Michael... meet us at the peak!!

We got ot the peak just after sunset... An awesome red/orange sunset!

We hung out for a while then it was time to ride!!

We headed down Blazer trail... Steve was on an Infamous XR650R AKA "The BRP" and it is a pig/bitch!!

But Steve was game!! lets roll... the trail is steep and twisty, rocky, Oh and drops down to one side along most of the length of the trail.
Long story short Steve lost his balance on a little step up and was falling to the right with nothing but slope...
Down to a creek bed about 20-30 feet below. He was ok and seeing this happen right in my headlight in front of me it was a little scary.

I thought for sure his bike was unretrievable!! But Steve lead the charge in finding a way out with Michael down in the shit pushing through the rocks, tree trunks and bushes.
THIS IS WHERE YOU FIND OUT WHAT YOUR REALLY MADE OF!!
We were still about five miles from the nearest road and it was almost midnight. Our biggest concern was for retrieving his bike but after using my phone for a flashlight I thought... Shit I need to get a picture of this!!
So I got two and then my phone battery died.

We got it out!!
Just three guys out riding together helping each other out.

We ended up in OC a long way from home!!
We regrouped at Cook's it was now about 1:30AM!!
We rolled into MV for gas and then turned around and back up the mountain to the otherside!!
I walked in the door just after 4AM to a worried wife and a warm shower!!

Another great memory to be remembered around future campfires!!

Until next time boys!!!
I am sure thats NOT what Honda was thinking when they said
"Let The Good Times Roll"
KICKNBACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:06 AM   #6921
funinthesun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
good times!!
glad to see the pics came out. too bad they dont show the fallen trees we had to push the pig over. thanks again guys for the help. at least only my pride and bike got hurt
Old 04-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #6922
Cannabinoid
Banned

Oddometer: 739
this message is self destructing...

Cannabinoid screwed with this post 01-01-2014 at 09:16 AM
Cannabinoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #6923
mr. thumbs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
It's alive!

The Husky locked up on me last weekend. I was just putting along and I hear a pop and then my bike stops running. Hit the start button and just a single thud. OK, pull the kick starter out and try to kick it over....nothing, it won't budge.

Put her in neutral and I'm lucky enough that I'm able to let gravity get me down to the power-line road. My buddies take off to get a truck and I took a nice nap for about an hour and a half. I had nightmares of $1500 repair bills followed by dreams of a 2013 350exc which were followed immediately by nightmares of telling my wife I'll need to drop 9K on a new scooter.

This past Saturday was the autopsy. Pulled the clutch cover and all looks good. Pulled the clutch and basket and all looks good but still locked up. Pull the sprag clutch gear and it seem OK and looks good. With the sprag gear off everything freed up. Put the sprag back on and everything everything still working properly. Re-assemble and the bike fires right up.

So now the big mind fuck is what the hell was wrong? Is it good to go? Will it happen again? Will I be by myself in the bottom of a canyon as the sun sets when it locks up again?

Thoughts?
mr. thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #6924
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
It's alive!

The Husky locked up on me last weekend. I was just putting along and I hear a pop and then my bike stops running. Hit the start button and just a single thud. OK, pull the kick starter out and try to kick it over....nothing, it won't budge.

Put her in neutral and I'm lucky enough that I'm able to let gravity get me down to the power-line road. My buddies take off to get a truck and I took a nice nap for about an hour and a half. I had nightmares of $1500 repair bills followed by dreams of a 2013 350exc which were followed immediately by nightmares of telling my wife I'll need to drop 9K on a new scooter.

This past Saturday was the autopsy. Pulled the clutch cover and all looks good. Pulled the clutch and basket and all looks good but still locked up. Pull the sprag clutch gear and it seem OK and looks good. With the sprag gear off everything freed up. Put the sprag back on and everything everything still working properly. Re-assemble and the bike fires right up.

So now the big mind fuck is what the hell was wrong? Is it good to go? Will it happen again? Will I be by myself in the bottom of a canyon as the sun sets when it locks up again?

Thoughts?
Let me look at it....I'll fix it for ya. I got some fucken tools!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #6925
mr. thumbs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
You can stay the fock away. I heard you can't even keep air in a friggen tire.
mr. thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #6926
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
You can stay the fock away. I heard you can't even keep air in a friggen tire.
That's the problem, I had no clue that i needed an innertube to keep air in them damn things.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #6927
ballisticexchris
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post

Yikes!

Well Rob, at least you offer some help. I'll give ya' that much!

Anyone need some wire cutters? LOL
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
ballisticexchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #6928
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,678
Quote:
It's alive!

Thoughts?
sell the Husky
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #6929
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,183
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
sell the Husky
Husky makes great chain saws.....

King of The Mountain
K T M
Old 04-15-2013, 11:19 PM   #6930
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,369
Word around the campfire last weekend was " don't buy a bike that starts with a K"

April 20th on Saturday. Or 420 for you stoners in case you forgot. Night ride to the peak?