ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #7186
mr. thumbs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,008
Husky is still down. I'm gonna tear into it in the morning. Transalp is in the shop for carb work so I'll borrow my brother in laws gs 1150 or DRZ. Rode the GS today down to Julian. Nice ride.
mr. thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:23 AM   #7187
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,998
I promised my GF a while back that I'd take her to Santiago Peak one day. My plan was taking her on a weekend but then summer came and it is damn too hot to ride under the sun. Also, like everyone here mentioned, it is a zoo up there on weekends. Solution??? Night rides. And that's what we did last night.
Tuesday is her birthday and we already started to celebrate it. Friday night was a full moon. I was telling her how beautiful it is up there at full moon nights but I worked on Saturday so we couldn't ride. Last night we came home from a friend's party around 10:30 and she wanted to ride. I said OK and we were out the door at 11:00pm.
We rode through Canon, Santiago Canyon and Chapman. All the way to Chapman, the moon was behind thick clouds. But once we hit Chapman, it was all clear. First stop was Maple Springs gate. I told her to hang on, this is where the fun begins.
The second stop was Four Corners. The moon was bright but there was a thick marine layer on the coast. So we couldn't see the city lights on West. But East side was clear. I asked her if she is OK and want to ride all the way to the top. She said, lets go!!!

Four Corners:

The road to Four Corners is just a dirt road with lots of whoops. When you ride single, you can jump those but when you are 2-up, it is a different story. We had to slow down and roll all the whoops. The rest of the way though, is a little bit different. No whoops but lots of loose and sharp rocks. I never liked going up that way. When I am on the gas, the bike jumps from one side to other. However, riding 2-up was completely different and surprisingly stable, even on those loose rocky section.
We made it to the top around 12:30am. Of course there is no need to say there was no other soul around. We shared a drink, had some BF/GF time together and headed back home at 1:00pm. We were at the gate by 1:45 and home by 2:15am.
Santiago Peak. 2-up, night ride approved...

Sorry for the bad iPhone pictures.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #7188
wfo600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Hwy 173

Going back few days here, I just got back from a weekend in Lake Arrowhead with lots of great riding. Hwy 173 is certainly closed, and not passable to either side. No worries! Rode some fun trails to Devils Hole, scouting for fishing spots. Up to a landing strip and a place called squint ranch in the middle of nowhere. Looked rather shady to me... Down crab flat to hooks creek, again scouting for fishing. Actually did some fishing at Miller Canyon creek and caught these... They were super yummy after a long days ride!
[IMG]
Thanks for all the help planning, it was a great long weekend.
wfo600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #7189
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfo600 View Post
Going back few days here, I just got back from a weekend in Lake Arrowhead with lots of great riding. Hwy 173 is certainly closed, and not passable to either side. No worries! Rode some fun trails to Devils Hole, scouting for fishing spots. Up to a landing strip and a place called squint ranch in the middle of nowhere. Looked rather shady to me... Down crab flat to hooks creek, again scouting for fishing. Actually did some fishing at Miller Canyon creek and caught these... They were super yummy after a long days ride!
[IMG]
Thanks for all the help planning, it was a great long weekend.

Nice fish report!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:48 PM   #7190
wfo600
Gnarly Adventurer

Most of the report was about riding I just get so into the riding I don't stop to take pictures. If I didn't take pictures of the fish, no one would believe me...
Old 05-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #7191
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,476
So 173 is all closed? Couldn't fit a bike through at all?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #7192
wfo600
Gnarly Adventurer

Going down from the lake arrowhead side, it is gated all the way across with big boulders on each side. No way around I could find. However, if you had a small enough bike or are swoll, a way over could he found...
Old 05-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #7193
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,220
Quote:
Going down from the lake arrowhead side, it is gated all the way across with big boulders on each side. No way around I could find. However, if you had a small enough bike or are swoll, a way over could he found...

That side has been closed since the Old Fire I think. You can get up from the other side or past Green Valley.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #7194
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,220
Quote:
[IMG]
Are those 18" or 24" tiles?
Old 05-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #7195
wfo600
Gnarly Adventurer

18" or 24", I don't know... I think 36"!
Old 05-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #7196
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Quote:
18" or 24", I don't know... I think 36"!
Haha, nice try, those are 6" tiles.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #7197
wfo600
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, they're 6", but I caught them on artificial lures, not bait... Does that make it any better???
Old 05-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #7198
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Thumb

Quote:
Ok, they're 6", but I caught them on artificial lures, not bait... Does that make it any better???
That's good you "fooled um",but,does that make them taste any better?

That's still a nice stringer for stream caught fish.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #7199
wfo600
Gnarly Adventurer

They tasted great straight off the grill with a little lemon. I don't know if it makes them taste "better'", but I feel better about using a little skill to catch them. It's definitely more fun and rewarding to catch them that way in my opinion...
And... Enough with the thread hijack. Back to talking about how much it sucks to ride CNF!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:02 AM   #7200
Cannabinoid
Banned

Oddometer: 739
fixed

Cannabinoid screwed with this post 11-05-2013 at 11:08 PM
Cannabinoid is offline   Reply With Quote