ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2008, 06:22 PM   #106
2old2race
I wana ride

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2race
When did you guys go?
We met at 74 / 5 at around 10:00. Went to I think was the south gate off of 74 and it was closed so we went towards some OHV park, went through Wildamar and ended up at a gate on the north side od Camp Pendelton. From there we took a secret route and ended up in Fallbrook. It was an outstanding ride

Bob
'08 KLR650
'07 Tiger 1050 - Gone
'98 XR440 - Getting a frame up rebuild
'89 XR250 - Needs a Lic Plate
2old2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:28 PM   #107
boyfester
Urban Explorer

Oddometer: 155
Woke up this morning at 7am and took my XR and mtn bike to Skyline Rd from home in Costa Mesa. To my dismay, the gate was closed contrary to what the website said (couldn't reach anybody by phone over weekend). Dreadfully, I unlatched the mtn bike instead and tredged up the mountain. Ughhh! I got as far as Beek's Place before wearing out. Ate some lunch then pushed on to the golf ball tower and turned around. Was overcast in morning but burned off to be a beautiful day.

I saw a fire crew working up there and then ended up passing two motorcyle riders talking with their engines off. Both had XR650Ls but only one had the volunteer CNF helmet skin. Don't know if the other guy was in training.

Can't wait to ride here and cover the same area in about 30 minutes what took me a good part of the day.

Catalina Island

San Gorgonio Peak with snow

San Jacinto Peak

Irvine Lake

Snapped shot of volunteer Cleveland NF ranger on XR650L descending hill. Other guy was behind him but not in shot.
boyfester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:42 PM   #108
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,265
me and the lady went to Oneil park around 10am for a pic nic/ hike and they had the damn trails there closed no walking or bikes..i turned around and went home
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #109
shleppy
Shlepdawg on da smoov tip

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyfester
Woke up this morning at 7am and took my XR and mtn bike to Skyline Rd from home in Costa Mesa.
Wha ? Mountain bike mounted to your XR? I would live to know how you mounted your MTB. I'm a mountain biker as well and have thought about putting my MTB on the back of my motorcycle but have not come up with a way to do it that doesn't involve 417 bungees

2006 F650GS (sold)
2007 DRZ 400s
2009 F650GS
shleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:01 PM   #110
boyfester
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shleppy
Wha ? Mountain bike mounted to your XR? I would live to know how you mounted your MTB. I'm a mountain biker as well and have thought about putting my MTB on the back of my motorcycle but have not come up with a way to do it that doesn't involve 417 bungees
Let me rephrase. Mounted motorcycle and mtn bike to Honda Pilot and unloaded mtn bike only. But, it is possible to mount bikes to your motorcycle. See one of my favorite other forums on the net.

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=101906

boyfester screwed with this post 12-01-2008 at 03:13 PM
Old 12-02-2008, 12:26 AM   #111
boyfester
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman0853
Ditto to what is here. Debra is hooking her training up with SBNF for obvious reasons. Due to the greater area and longer experience time, CNF MC/OHV Patrol Volunteers will now need to attend the SBNF training before being issued USFS Helmet Skins for patrol use in CNF.

Even your esteemed senior patroller, myself, is required to go, so hopefully we will have enough notice before the next training session and we'll have a good OC turnourt.

CNF will have regular Volunteer training this winter, sometime in January at a location in OC. This is mandatory to attend every two years as a minimum.

Stay Tuned!

Personally, I am currently in Northern Nevada getting ready for a 'Polar Bear' ride. Pics to follow... Brrrr..... It snowed here yesterday...

Pointman
Definitely interested in becoming a volunteer. I looked on the San Bernardino website and found the following:

One Orientation / Host class (2nd Wednesday of each month)
A trail ride in the Mountain Top District and the Front Country District
One Scenario class
One Rules and Regulations class

Are these the classes for the Trabuco district? Is there any location in Orange County instead?
Old 12-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #112
watchthatcactus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
The orientation classes are usually held on Saturdays (usually 1 a month and these should be starting in January) at different locations in the San Bernadino Forest. The first two classes are usually about 1/2 to 3/4 of a day and then there is an optional ride along. The ride along is neccessary only if you want to patrol San Bernadino. Clevelend will have their own ride days. The last class, scenarios, is all day. You will also need to have a MSF Dirtbike card. I know Pointman and I will try to get the information out as soon as we get. Hope this helps you.
watchthatcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:39 PM   #113
luv2race
Confused

Oddometer: 2,311
Whats this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchthatcactus
You will also need to have a MSF Dirtbike card.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:56 PM   #114
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2race
Whats this?
John, Don't worry about it. You have to be able to pass a breathylizer test
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:19 PM   #115
corybaby
weekend adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Eh? open yet???????????????

anybody been up to the Maple Springs gate this week, i still cant believe they couldnt give us ONE day over the long weekend to ride....
Dude!
please let me know!!!!
corybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:39 PM   #116
watchthatcactus
Adventurer

MSF - Motorcycle Safety Foundation. There is a dirt bike course that is required to ride as a volunteer. I took mine at Honda of Colton Training Center although there are other places to take it. It doesn't matter how long you have been riding, they want you to have it.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #117
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer: 1,386
Talking Annual CNF Volunteer Training, Sat, Jan 31

From Ms clark...

Dear Volunteers,

This is a reminder to mark your calendar and plan to spend the day with the Trabuco Ranger District staff on Saturday, January 31, 2009 at Santiago College near Jamboree and Chapman in Orange.

For Inland Empire residents the shortest route is to take the 91 west to the 241 toll road then take the first exit (after the toll booth) turning right on Santiago Canyon Road and about another mile to the college.

The Volunteer Training is a mandatory requirement for volunteers. If you miss the training two years in a row you will have to reapply to volunteer.
Sponsored volunteers are all encouraged to attend this informative training. Sponsored volunteer leads are required to attend.

Thank you all for your efforts on behalf of the forest!

Debra
Debra Clarke - Wilderness / Trails Manager
District Volunteer Coordinator
Cleveland NF, Trabuco Ranger District
1147 East Sixth Street
Corona, CA 92879
(951) 736-1811 x 3227
(951) 736-3002 fax
email: drclarke@fs.fed.us

Pointman
IBA #5
CarsonTahoeAdventureMoto.com
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:08 PM   #118
luv2race
Confused

Looks like I'm forked

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
John, Don't worry about it. You have to be able to pass a breathylizer test
Old 12-02-2008, 08:28 PM   #119
luv2race
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchthatcactus
MSF - Motorcycle Safety Foundation. This I know. There is a dirt bike course that is required to ride as a volunteer. This I am surprised. I took mine at Honda of Colton Training Center although there are other places to take it. It doesn't matter how long you have been riding, they want you to have it. This is redundant.
I realize that all skill levels may want to volunteer and there is a need for the NFS to ensure they qualify experienced volunteers, but I would think that many years holding an M1 license qualifies without needing to attend an MSF course. I guess I'm going to have to find out where to get one?
Old 12-03-2008, 07:47 AM   #120
watchthatcactus
Adventurer

Sorry for the information.

When I see, "What is this?" I was trying to help with some info.