User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2007, 11:17 AM   #76
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,260
Day 3 continued

The western side is much rockier than the eastern side of the UP. Now the pinch flats begin.

Cjracer with his first of three.

Having been around some of this, my usual set up is to run heavy duty tubes, tire slime, and higher tire pressures. If I were to get a flat, I would just replace the tube. The combination of slime, heavy tubes, and tire pressure seem to work as good preventive measures. Your experience may vary.

Cj had everything he needed, so we continued on.

The nice thing about being in front again is no dust. You really have to pay attention on these trails because of wildlife. I had two lock-ups for adult deer - both ran from the side in front of me. I had two large fawns run out from the side and run along right in front of me. One was in the left lane on a trail like this and it was just in front of my wheel. Both fawns kicked at me as they ran and then ducked off the trail again. I also had two coyote encounters and a few near misses of game birds.

Further up the trail Q-Dog had a pincher on the rear wheel.

There is always plenty of help.

Once it is clear that all will be OK, other riders move on.

Coming into Iron River on some old railroad grade.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 08-22-2007 at 11:44 AM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:02 PM   #77
DieselTwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
I have to ride the second half.Maybe next weekend? I`m almoust allright.
DieselTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:12 PM   #78
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Day 3 continued

We had been passing each other back and forth all day. Finally nearly all of us ended up at the same gas stop at the same time.

We had a slow start and with a few flats and what not we were lagging a little bit in making it out to the rocket range before dark. We had a quick meeting and decided we would get some time back by "Harley riding" as a group (except we had helmets and camping gear instead of biker chicks) a section of highway up to Houghton-Hancock instead of riding an ORV trail.

We made a stop at the three tall trestles at the Firesteel River.

The we roaded it up to the channel bridge. From there we rode an ORV trail that runs through town. It is kind of like riding on the sidewalk.

From there we rode an old railroad bed up through copper towns and past old mines and mining equipment. The trail was in good shape. We found out later that Askel had ridden a section in a bicycle race he was in earlier that day.

With all the dust, and people being tired, and perhaps a little complacency setting in, we lost a few folks and had to go back looking a couple of times. It was getting late. That well oiled machine from day 1 sputtered a couple of times.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:23 PM   #79
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Day 3 continued

Eventually we got on an excellent series of paved roads. We made a very entertaining single file run from Eagle Harbor down a narrow, twisty, and sharply rolling road ending up on top of Mount Brockway without any interference from other traffic. It was nice!

Nice views from up there.

We enjoyed a sporty run back down toward Copper Harbor.

On the way down, there is a nice turnout overlooking Copper Harbor.

Greg had that "lets go eat" look, so we headed into town to get chow.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:44 PM   #80
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Day 3 continued

We dropped down into Copper Harbor. The gas stations were closed, but a restaurant was open.

Seems like whenever we came into a restaurant covered with dust and wearing all that equipment some people got a little uncomfortable. After a while they got used to us. Often, someone would come over to chat a bit and see what we were up to.

Carmex + Dust = Goth

Since everyone was low on gas, and the stations didn't open until late, we ate breakfast here as well.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:24 PM   #81
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Day 3 wrap up

The sun was getting low and we had a ways to go to pick our way through the woods to the rocket range. (The rocket range was a place where the U of MI, USAF, and NASA did some experiments years ago.)

The plan we made ahead of time was that fellow ADV rider and UP native Askel would head out to the range ahead of us to square us away on camping. We figured we would be coming in around dark, and it would be helpful to have things worked out ahead of time. True to his word, and just as the plan stated, Askel left us a note at the rocket range (where camping was prohibited) redirecting us down the trail to a very nice spot on a bay.

The main body of our group got in there about dark. At least it was dark in the woods and with the dust it was hard to see. The usual array of puddles on the trail was dry so you could now see the rim bending rocks you usually hit that are concealed by the water (and there are a lot of them). We had a little delay when we lost three riders and had to go look for them. Also, one of the guys had some difficulty starting his bike . . .

Askel had a very nice back country campsite picked out for us with plenty of room and a great view. Since fires were prohibited, some of us sat around his lantern drinking beer and chatting as if it were a campfire.

It kind of had that glow.

This predator was stalking us most of the night.

Thanks a bunch Askel for setting us up and camping with us! There was no doubt in my mind you'd be there and that you'd take care of us! And it was great that you could join us for breakfast. (Next time join us for the ride. )

I'll post some rocket range and bay pictures once the sun comes up in the morning.

End of day 3.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #82
flyingbeard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,135
Thumb

I am so jealous. Looked like a great trip, keep the pic comming....
flyingbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:13 PM   #83
GasMich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Great Pictures

Great Pictures and write ups guys! Keep it coming. I can tell the audience is getting jealous.
GasMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:18 PM   #84
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
Awesome stuff.

Cannonshot, when you talk about running "higher pressures" for the rocks, what range are you talking about? (You're on a DRZ, right?)

Thx,

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:21 PM   #85
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Weather

I guess I forgot to mention the weather on Day 3. When we woke up it was 36 degrees (a new record low in Marquette). Yes, 36 degrees in August. The ride to breakfast was nose numbing. Once the sun got higher it warmed up pretty quickly. When we got up on Sunday morning on the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula surrounded by Lake Superior on three sides, it was a much nicer 51 degrees. Surface temperature of the water was about 69 degrees.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:26 PM   #86
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Awesome stuff.

Cannonshot, when you talk about running "higher pressures" for the rocks, what range are you talking about? (You're on a DRZ, right?)

Thx,
About 18/25. I think 18 is the standard pressure for the front - but I don't drop it for sand. The standard for the rear is about 22 I think and I pump that up a little because of the cargo I am carrying.

I think that the heavy tubes and slime make a BIG difference.

I think cjracer mentioned that he went from 20 to 25 to 30 pounds on his front tires (KTM 950) after a series of pinchers.

I also work hard not to hit sharp trail bridge edges, rocks, and roots when I can but every now and then I get a good jolt on something.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:38 PM   #87
PackMule
love what you do

Thanks. That's about where I run mine on the 620 for mixed use.

Have you ever pulled a tube to find a "slimed" hole?

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Old 08-22-2007, 06:43 PM   #88
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Thanks. That's about where I run mine on the 620 for mixed use.

Have you ever pulled a tube to find a "slimed" hole?
No slimed holes. No flats on the DRZ for the last 12,000+ miles.
I keep re-using the tubes.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:47 PM   #89
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot
No slimed holes. No flats on the DRZ for the last 12,000+ miles.
I keep re-using the tubes.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:58 PM   #90
Fireman88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
I have an interest in riding Day 3 and Day 4 of the trip that I did not ride as well. I would like to see Copper Harbor. Diesel what dates are you looking at? I probably could not go until mid Sept.
Fireman88 is offline   Reply With Quote