Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2007, 06:36 AM   #1
SarahM OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Buying KTM in Austria?

Hi,

Has anyone made a trip out of actually picking up a new KTM in Austria?

I know with some German cars (BMW, Mercedes), you can buy the car in Germany and the manufacturer will sometimes make a deal with you, even paying the plane ticket to get you over there to pick up your car.

While I don't expect KTM to do anything like that, does anyone know if KTM offers any kind of deal for picking up the bike direct from their plant?

Thanks,
Sarah
SarahM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
Sounds unlikely since it would need to be 'PDI'd' since they're built to fit in the crate.Also i would guess it would need 'safety checks' such as listening to the engine to ensure it runs ok etc by the dealer.I would think if this isn't performed by them then the warranty would be invalid in accordance to Euro laws although as usual i could be talking out of my.....!!
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
dirty dave
Banned

Oddometer: 1,086
i think ducati had something like that a few years ago
dirty dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
LC8rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
I'm not quite sure why you want to pick it up from the factory. Why not try an Austrian dealer instead, they could sort the paper work for you and then it should be ready to ride. Anyone know how much the bikes are in Austria?
I'm off to Slovenia soon and while I'm there, I'm going to check out the cost of the Wings exhausts and post them home if they are the right price (Wings are made in Slovenia for those of you who think I'm nuts).
Old 08-21-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC8rider
I'm not quite sure why you want to pick it up from the factory. Why not try an Austrian dealer instead, they could sort the paper work for you and then it should be ready to ride. Anyone know how much the bikes are in Austria?
I'm off to Slovenia soon and while I'm there, I'm going to check out the cost of the Wings exhausts and post them home if they are the right price (Wings are made in Slovenia for those of you who think I'm nuts).
Why not carry them home? or put them on your bike and put the standard cans in the bin!!
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
LC8rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE(UK)
Why not carry them home? or put them on your bike and put the standard cans in the bin!!
I'm riding out, but flying back. I'm best man at a wedding out there and I'm taking out my mates (groom), girlfriends BMW for their honeymoon bike tour (she's flying out and riding back - eventually). He's riding there and back on his BMW along with another 3 BM's at least! It's a long story....................
Old 08-21-2007, 04:54 PM   #7
apeirce
So I was following Andrew

Oddometer: 2,721
Quote:
I'm not quite sure why you want to pick it up from the factory.
Euro delivery is an option for high-end European cars in the states. You get a great price break from the factory, more than enough to pay for airline tickets and accomodations, the manufacturer arranges insurance for you and handles the shipping. Plus, you get the chance to drive your own cars on the roads there.

It would be awesome if KTM or BMW would do it, but the margins aren't there to justify it.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:32 PM   #8
SarahM OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Dang... but thanks for the info anyway...
SarahM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:20 AM   #9
PasiS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Anyone know how much the bikes are in Austria?
For example, SE is 13600€ and 990 is 15000€

http://www.2rad-boerse.at/preise_neu.asp
PasiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:24 AM   #10
uk_mouse
Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
LC8Rider - if you happen to end up with some spare stock cans after your Slovenian trip, I'd happily take them off your hands :)

The reason being that mine are a bit dented and marked, and the bolts have seized, but I don't really want to spend the money on aftermarket items.
uk_mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:59 PM   #11
bernas68
Eternal dreamer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by PasiS
For example, SE is 13600€ and 990 is 15000€

http://www.2rad-boerse.at/preise_neu.asp

Woohoo Much cheaper here in Portugal! 13grand (Euro grand) and you can ride one home.

1994 Honda Αfrica Twin (sold)
1992 Honda Transalp (sold)
bernas68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:02 PM   #12
Monty_Burns
Excellent.

Oddometer: 1,278
Euro delivery hasn't made sense for a while...

Ever since the US dollar started sliding, Euro delivery has stopped making sense. It would have made sense 10 years ago, but not now. No way.

If the best price we're seeing (in Euros) is 13,000, that's about $18,000 US.

If a European motorcycle vacation is what you are after, either rent or ship your US-bought bike there - whichever is most economical and makes you the happiest.
Monty_Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #13
4Rider
Dedicated Lurker

Oddometer: 164
I've looked into this several times. In the 80's BMW did offer a european delivery option through US dealers. You could pre-purchase the bike at your local dealer, pick it up at the factory and ride it for up to two months with a temporary registration, then return it to the factory for shipping home. They discontinued that program about 20 years ago.

You can also just go to Europe and buy a bike to ride, but in most cases you will not be able to ship it back home due to smog certification issues and issues with the lights, tires and lenses on the signals and headlamp. US customs does have a list of approved bikes for shipment direct to the US available, but the list is short and very limited.

Last year I called BMW myself, then had a german-speaking friend assist in calling the factory to try to find a way to purchase a US Spec BMW at the factory, temporarily register it and spend a few months riding around europe before shipping it home. About the only way to do that is to have valid military orders indicating that you are stationed in Europe. With orders in hand you can purchase a US specification BMW, take delivery and register it and then ship it home when your orders expired. They do have some minimum time committment requirement for your military orders (my wife had 30-day orders, but they would not accept that). One caution, I had no luck with the california DMV trying to determine if they would invoke the minimum 7,500 mile rule to deny registering the bike here. The only option in my mind was to ride at least 7,500 miles before coming home!

I had no luck trying going through a local KTM dealer to try to line this up. I had no luck trying to call the KTM factory directly, and just ran into a stone wall on each attempt.

There is a very active BMW club in San Diego with one guy who leads group rides in Europe, and apparently knows the Swiss Alps like a local. I've read some of the materials about his trips. He ships his GS to europe and back for the trips. If you google the San Diego club you will find their website with links to their newsletters.

I also investigated trying for a long-term rental in Europe. That just does not work out economically. For anything over a week or so you'd be better off buying a used bike, riding it, then selling it. Interestingly, you cannot rent a motorcycle in Ireland period. It also sounded like it would be difficult to rent a bike in England and then get it into Ireland, although it is no problem to take an owned bike into Ireland.

I actually called several bike shops in England and Germany and talked to the owners. Several indicated that they were willing to work with me on some kind of pre-negotiated purchase and buy-back agreement, insurance etc. Apparently insurance is not a slam-dunk issue.

I did check with several airlines, including American. They can ship your bike from many US air terminals to a limited number of terminal in Europe. It goes on a pallet and does not have to be disassembled unless it is too tall. Sorry, I don't have the height restriction handy. You have to make reservations well in advance, and can actually have the bike sent on the same plane you are flying on. I was told that they usually require that you deliver it to the air cargo terminal at least 24-hours ahead of time, and that it must have less than 1 gallon of fuel in the tanks. The cost was high, about the same as buying another business-class ticket. This was the option used by the boys in "the long-way around" to get their bikes from Siberia to Alaska. If you choose that method do a better job of lashing them down then they did.

Hope this helps. If someone finds a better way or has more current infomation that allows a European US-Spec purchase please PM me! One of our boys is doing some school time in Germany next spring and I'd love to go out and ride around for a while and bring back a 690 Super Enduro (Local dealer told me they will be out in Europe this year and in the US next year!)
Old 08-24-2007, 06:33 PM   #14
Kayakgk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 913
Thanks for doing all the research.

I have been thinking about a tour in europe shipping the bike to the east coast and then riding it home to Ca. The 7500 mile issue is a pain. As is the US spec think. Some friends of mine got a gray maket Mercedes in about 30 years ago.
Kayakgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:31 PM   #15
4Rider
Dedicated Lurker

Oddometer: 164
There are a lot of Grey Market cars around. I know several people who have very grey Land Rovers, and there are lots of Porsche greysters around as well.

I'm sure that there is some work-around out there, I just have not found it. Hopefully some ADVrider out there has the answer and will educate all of us.

The owner of 3 Brothers KTM in Temecula California (and Costa Mesa) is Brazilian, and apparently owns a dealership in Rio De Janero. I think I may ask him about this issue on the off-chance he has the answer. If I find any news I will post it back here.