User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2007, 04:15 PM   #16
mitch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
Thumb

This looks like the start of a great adventure, I hope you both have a great time just remember we want plenty of pic's
06 GSA . SE. will try to stay away from pickups.
Well it was a car this time #L/tib & fib in the same place as the previous F wit crushed it
Ducati making mechanics out of riders for 50 years
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:32 PM   #17
BriKielyGSman OP
BigBadBri

Oddometer: 510
Things I've found out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steez
That's a nice setup you got there.

looks like I'm in this thread for the long haul!
Thanx Steez....hopefully we can keep you coming back.

-No travel Visas or Carnets are required for the countries that we are travelling to. Seems that insurance isn't required (or available) either!!!

-Trying to get your blood type, if you have forgotten, is a big process. Takes one month to see the doctor and another couple of weeks after that to get the results. We're still in the process of getting this done -we are going to make up some cards with all our medical info on them.

-Finding a pair of boots is a real chore. I want some with ankle support, but also ones that I can walk in all day.

-after months of planning for the trip, you just want to get on the road already!!

-deciding whether or not to get an Autocom system is quite taxing on the brain. We decided against it....I think!!??

Seanix - Durabook laptop is too heavy and probably too expensive, but it has the anti-spill keyboard and the rubber mounted screen/hard drive, etc. Made the 10-day trip to Silverton, Colorado, no problem.

http://flickr.com/photos/bckgsphotos/1172284552/in/set-72157601544468856/
BTW: Dan lives about 5 hours away from my place, so I have no current photos of him.

BriKielyGsMan's South America Ride Report - Two Up.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259451

BriKielyGSman screwed with this post 12-10-2007 at 06:32 AM
BriKielyGSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:48 PM   #18
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,343
Congrats on both getting the time off, may be the trip of a lifetime.

You may consider minimizing (or ditching) the camping gear because hotels are fairly inexpensive and rough camping in some places can be sketchy.
All depends on budget and type of travel youre into.

Of course, you have been talking with Grant at the HUBB right?

buen viaje, post lotsa pix.

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:01 PM   #19
kootenay kid
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 2,614
Swing by the Kootenays and pick me up. Im coming too! Ya in my dreams I know. Have a great trip. I am looking forward to watching your progress.
kootenay kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:18 PM   #20
thunder63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Every minute I spend reading this stuff the more determined I am to move from simple trail rides to the true adv. Thanks for the report. Also, donate a pint of at the nearest bank and they will give you the type in minutes, in fact I am not sure you even have to donate.
thunder63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:59 AM   #21
gasolinebandit
lurker

Oddometer: 11
Good eats in the flathead

When you get out of Glacer Park head over to whitefish and eat at Lu La's great breakfasts, and pies. I am guessing that you will be camping in glacier.
If you are not. I can give you some other Ideas. Oh and drive down the east side of flathead lake. It is faster and pretier.

Good luck, and take lots of photos for us stuck at home.

Kris

Ps you might look at a triband pda phone. they are also bluetooth capable, so it might recognise a keyboard. those phones are much smaller and lighter than a laptop. cheeper to.
gasolinebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:52 AM   #22
BriKielyGSman OP
BigBadBri

Horizons Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion
Congrats on both getting the time off, may be the trip of a lifetime.

You may consider minimizing (or ditching) the camping gear because hotels are fairly inexpensive and rough camping in some places can be sketchy.
All depends on budget and type of travel youre into.

Of course, you have been talking with Grant at the HUBB right?

buen viaje, post lotsa pix.
We actually went to one of Grant's seminars in Silverton, Colorado, last month. It was interesting. Lots of good info.

@gasolinebandit:
That is the type of info we are looking for.....we were actually planning on heading down the West side of Flathead Lake, but if you are recommending the east side-that's what we will do.
Thanx

@thunder63:
Trail rides are fun, but I like the experience of different cultures.

Problem is that the nearest blood bank is three hours away!!!

@everyone else....
Thanx for looking.....gotta go to work now....

BriKielyGSman screwed with this post 12-10-2007 at 06:32 AM
Old 08-23-2007, 06:15 AM   #23
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,299
Have a great trip you guys (and gal)! Anxiously awaiting your departure. Hey I just noticed you're from Alberta! Couldn't agree more about the he-double hockey sticks. ;-)
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:12 AM   #24
Kieth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Eek packing light

We have discovered that packing light is a must on big bikes and especially 2 up. Here is what I now carry for any length trip:

Riding gear:

2 pair of under armour sock liners
3 pair of motocross socks
2 pairs of bicycle shorts with chamois crotch
2 under armour long sleeve shirts mock turtle neck
2 pairs of riding gloves
1 set of rain gear pants, aerostich lobster rain gloves
1 moose enduro jacket (is waterproof and can be folded and worn around waist)
1 EVS mesh armor jacket (if it is hot take the moose jkt off wear only the armor)
1 pair of corduro riding pants with armor
1 pair of good motocross boots (garne with ankle pivots)
1 electric vest
helmet of course,

The light polypropelene shirts, undies, sock liners etc can be washed out and dry very quickly, nothing taks up much room, light is better.....

I went kind of crazy on the light weight camping gear, all of the gear except for the sleeping bag now fits in 1/2 of a small pannier,

snow peak burner (1.5 x 2 x 3") has self cntnd igniter
titanium cookset holds 2 snow peak fuel cannisters)
snow peak lantern
S/S fork, spoon, knife
2 man tent (use compression sack to make it small)
tent poles are only 15" long) plastic stakes
big agnes 20 degree sleeping bag
big agnes air mattress (light and folds oh so small)
2 camp ground toilt paper containers
wtr proof matches
flolding shovel
pocket chainsaw
camp towel, wash cloth, soap (plastic container)
options: Katadyne water filtration bottle (actualy purifies water)
small folding alum table 15" x 2 x 3 packed
do not bother with camp stools use your panniers in a pinch.

*Kolpin 1.25 gallon fuel can (take 2) you never know if you will need them but you cannot do without them.

Since you are riding 2 up you need to try and watch it even more than a solo rider. Kieth in Tulsa
Kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:07 AM   #25
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriKielyGSman
-Finding a pair of boots is a real chore. I want some with ankle support, but also ones that I can walk in all day.
I've been wearing these all summer and they have done the job. When we bought the DRs I wanted a little more protection than my old engineer boots provided but didn't want to wear my full on mx boots for reasons like you mentioned. They are a cross between a street and mx boot. they don't offer great protection but everythings a compromise.

BMW Santiago boots
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:18 AM   #26
BriKielyGSman OP
BigBadBri

Vendramini Boots

I have looked at the Santiago boots...I like them.

Dan has bought these ones that he really likes...Vendramini Elephants.

I am waiting to check his out before I buy.

@ Kieth.....

Conchita and I are not bringing any cooking gear at all. Just sleeping gear. Dan is bringing a burner and pots, etc. We will have to sponge off him, if required.

We have visited Mountain Equipment Co-op several times, and have bought the quick-dry Synthetic stuff that turns into shorts..

http://flickr.com/photos/bckgsphotos/1174743214/

Still need to look into socks and undies though. Conchita needs a little convincing that 10 pairs of underwear and socks are not feasible!!! Okay, I am exaggerating (a little).

BriKielyGSman screwed with this post 12-10-2007 at 06:34 AM
Old 08-23-2007, 11:38 AM   #27
Kieth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
gear

I understand, but having a bike like the GS plus a passenger means you really need to watch the weight (I know she does not weigh much but all that stuff does) When I first started taking my wife she took everything but the kitchen sink, she has become a much bettr packer overall since she started riding on the bike with me. Less is more !!!!!!!! You do not want to try and pick that beemer up with all of that stuff on it.
Having great boots is one of the most important things you can have on a Adventure bike, I wore My Garne's for 2 weeks in Baja to break them in, do not notice them now. They will save a toe, shin , or ankle though.
Kieth
Kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:44 AM   #28
strikingviking
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,808
Sorry to say this, but you guys are hauling way too much gear that you won't need. Weight will become a significant issue by the end of the first day.

Time your stops and camping and cooking gear is unnecessary. Hotels are dirt cheap and far more secure. That's a lot of pills too. Malaria? I doubt it. I camped often in Africa and never in SA--there are too many options. Even if out in the boondocks with no hotels, any farmer would take you in. And consider the value of that experience.
strikingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:06 PM   #29
gasolinebandit
lurker

Oddometer: 11
camping gear

If you are looking to go camping on the light side you should read Beyond Backpacking: Ray Jardines. He has some great things to say. his hicking kit weighs under 12 pounds, and the idea of using mail drop boxes is great to. so mail your self replacements in advance of leaving. it might be a great way to always have your meds when you need them. just my thaughts.

Kris
gasolinebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:31 PM   #30
BriKielyGSman OP
BigBadBri

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikingviking
Sorry to say this, but you guys are hauling way too much gear that you won't need. Weight will become a significant issue by the end of the first day.

Time your stops and camping and cooking gear is unnecessary. Hotels are dirt cheap and far more secure. That's a lot of pills too. Malaria? I doubt it. I camped often in Africa and never in SA--there are too many options. Even if out in the boondocks with no hotels, any farmer would take you in. And consider the value of that experience.
Are you saying that the locals down there don't walk around with 200 Malaria pills at all times??!!I am kidding, of course.

One of the reasons why I wanted to start this thread a little early was to get some feedback from the "veterans." Everything you guys say is definitely being taken seriously. I have never been down that way, so I have no idea what to expect. When several world travellers (Grant Johnson/Glen Hagstadd, etc) tell you the same thing, well you should take heed.

Not bringing camping gear would save us a bunch of room and weight. I am certainly leaning towards that.

Some people say that there is no such thing as being TOO prepared. Well, on a motorcycle, I think there can be such a thing.

Although the Beemer handled almost all (about 10 lbs shy) the gear superbly, including riding over Cinnamon Pass, (ride report link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247558), I don't think we need to be taking anything that isn't necessary. I am sure the rear shock will be protesting most of the way (I hope that is ALL it does). Riding two up means we have half the room and twice the gear.

Thanx for the input - keep it coming.

This 6' Python cable lock has come in real handy for locking jackets, helmets and such to the bike. The sweet saw....well, it hasn't had it's time to come in handy yet!!

Thumbs up or thumbs down on taking the (folding) sweet saw??
Maybe for cutting through avalanches??

http://flickr.com/photos/bckgsphotos/1171430627/

BriKielyGSman screwed with this post 12-10-2007 at 06:40 AM Reason: Wanted to add some thumb icons