Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2007, 12:30 PM   #31
BriKielyGSman OP
BigBadBri

Oddometer: 510
Blood!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder63
Every minute I spend reading this stuff the more determined I am to move from simple trail rides to the true adv. Thanks for the report. Also, donate a pint of at the nearest bank and they will give you the type in minutes, in fact I am not sure you even have to donate.
With your tip, I called Canadian Blood Services and asked if they would have access to my records from the times in the past that I have given blood. Even though it has been up to 10 years since I donated, they were able to find my file (I hope it's mine!!). After signing the consent form and faxing two pieces of signed picture ID, they are supposed to email me my blood type. Much easier than going the lab route.

Now I just have to work on making up the cards.

Also, I sent a check away today for our "Ride the World" and "ADV" stickers. I am generally not too big on stickers, but gotta make sure the inmates recognize us on the road!!

Still no responses on the "sweet saw" survey???

BriKielyGsMan's South America Ride Report - Two Up.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259451

BriKielyGSman screwed with this post 12-10-2007 at 07:42 AM
BriKielyGSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:38 AM   #32
Leostrom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Some people got it good and some people got it better. It's tough to be
man baby But then again it's tougher to be a women. Glad I'm a man.
Have a good trip GSman.
Leostrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:54 PM   #33
idea man
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Saw?

I just did a quick trip to Alaska and back in a minivan with my boys. Took a really cool light weight folding shovel made by Glock. Even had a saw blade in the handle. I had to FIND a place to use it and we camped half the time. I didn't use the saw and knife set I took at all.
Heard a couple good tips lately as far as ensuring "trip continuity." Put all your important info (Passport, CC#'s etc.) in a password protected word or other document and email it to yourself. You could even put scans of all your vital info in one of those and be able to reproduce them anywhere you have internet access. You could probably put thenm on a flash drive and secret them somewhere on you or your bike. There was another guy who wrote a book about touring through South America to TDF and though he made a lot of mistakes and goofed off quite a bit, his insight into border crossings I thought was pretty good. Oddessy to Ushuia. Not great but it's like a buffet, you take a little of what you want and you move to the next dish. Glen's stuff has got to be golden. Great that he's looking in here.
One other reference would be to look at the Mondo Enduro and Terra Circa folks' video/book. They camped out solely and had a unique way of doing it. They ran a rain poncho between their bikes and used their tripod as the tent stake. They also shared a single tooth brush by the end of their trip. Okay, so maybe not every space saving tip is worthwhile. Best of luck here and congrats on the opportunity
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:39 PM   #34
Lambo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Good luck..
Lambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:43 PM   #35
BriKielyGSman OP
BigBadBri

Bull Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea man
I just did a quick trip to Alaska and back in a minivan with my boys. Took a really cool light weight folding shovel made by Glock. Even had a saw blade in the handle. I had to FIND a place to use it and we camped half the time. I didn't use the saw and knife set I took at all.
Heard a couple good tips lately as far as ensuring "trip continuity." Put all your important info (Passport, CC#'s etc.) in a password protected word or other document and email it to yourself. You could even put scans of all your vital info in one of those and be able to reproduce them anywhere you have internet access. You could probably put thenm on a flash drive and secret them somewhere on you or your bike. There was another guy who wrote a book about touring through South America to TDF and though he made a lot of mistakes and goofed off quite a bit, his insight into border crossings I thought was pretty good. Oddessy to Ushuia. Not great but it's like a buffet, you take a little of what you want and you move to the next dish. Glen's stuff has got to be golden. Great that he's looking in here.
One other reference would be to look at the Mondo Enduro and Terra Circa folks' video/book. They camped out solely and had a unique way of doing it. They ran a rain poncho between their bikes and used their tripod as the tent stake. They also shared a single tooth brush by the end of their trip. Okay, so maybe not every space saving tip is worthwhile. Best of luck here and congrats on the opportunity
Great info here.....I actually heard about saving documents online so you are able to retrieve them from anywhere. It is something that I still need to get done. Thanks for the reminder.

There is quite a bit to think about, especially on the first trip South. You are never quite sure if you have thought of everything. I guess, there comes a point where you prepare as best you can, and then deal with stuff as it happens on the road.

I talked to an older fellow up in Hyder, Alaska, at the annual "Hyder Seek" that Ron Ayres puts on. He had just got back from South America, and he basically said, "Just pack some things, get on your bike and go!!!" He figured a lot of people get too caught up in the planning. He may be right, but I am just not that ....laid back.

The no insurance thing is a bit of a concern on a $25,000.00 motorcycle. We are taking this Bull Dog lock; if nothing else for our own piece of mind. It is big and heavy, but with both bikes locked together I don't think anyone will be tossing them into the back of a pick-up. Let's hope I don't lose the key for it!! The GSA has the factory alarm as well. Besides, I will probably be sleeping on top of it!!!

http://flickr.com/photos/bckgsphotos/1172280530/in/set-72157601544468856/

BriKielyGSman screwed with this post 12-10-2007 at 07:47 AM
Old 08-26-2007, 03:37 PM   #36
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
You might be better off leaving all the camping gear home, and plan to hotel it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion
You may consider minimizing (or ditching) the camping gear because hotels are fairly inexpensive and rough camping in some places can be sketchy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikingviking
Time your stops and camping and cooking gear is unnecessary. Hotels are dirt cheap and far more secure.

This past spring/summer, I traveled through parts of South America (by backpack) and through Mexico, Central America, and North America (by motorcycle) for a total of about seven months. The only time I had anything stolen was from a hotel room. Twice.

I camp, and rarely had trouble finding someplace to pitch my tent south of the border. It was camping where I met the most interesting people, or met nobody at all.

Hotels can be found in the $5-$15 range, if you look... but often they're not the kind of place I'd bring a woman (but sometimes they're very nice). I stayed in cheap hotels on occasion, sure... but if I had my wife, I probably wouldn't. Nice hotels are almost as expensive as they are in the States.

That said, from reading what you've written so far, your budget is a bit more than mine. For example, your two rabies shots would have covered my entire 16,000 mile motorcycle trip, which lasted roughly the same amount of time.

So... I'm a huge proponent of camping, and I disagree with those who say it's hard to find a campsite and that camping is somehow more dangerous. My campsites were the places where I felt the safest, and where I was closest to my bike. On the handful of occasions I couldn't easily locate a place to pitch my tent, a cheap hotel room made convenient backup.

Then again, I also know very well that camping gear is rather bulky. Yes, you would save lots of space by not carrying it... but when I go again, I'll have my camping gear again. No question.

In any case, I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip immensely, and I look forward to reading and seeing where you went.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 07:54 PM   #37
BriKielyGSman OP
BigBadBri

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:15 am Post subject: Brian and Conchita's Adventures, Dan & Carole's basement

Quote:
We bumped into Dan & Carole in Hinton (Alberta) at a petrol station & they kindly gave us a place to stay the night - which was great as we escaped another night of 'refrigerated rain' in our tent.

Dan is setting off on a S.American ride in October with Brian & Conchita, here's a link to their blog :-

http://bckgs.blogspot.com

Hopefully we'll be back in Peru before them and can return the favour - thanks a million

Seems my riding partner Dan bumped into Bob the Smelly Biker last week www.smellybiker.com I have been checking out his site for GPS mapping of South America. It sure is a small world, huh? He gave us an honorable mention on his site and posted the above post. Cool!!

Bob has been touring around South America for four years now, I think. He had a lot of good info that Dan is going to relay to me next weekend when we get together.

Quote:

This past spring/summer, I traveled through parts of South America (by backpack) and through Mexico, Central America, and North America (by motorcycle) for a total of about seven months. The only time I had anything stolen was from a hotel room. Twice.

I camp, and rarely had trouble finding someplace to pitch my tent south of the border. It was camping where I met the most interesting people, or met nobody at all.

Hotels can be found in the $5-$15 range, if you look... but often they're not the kind of place I'd bring a woman (but sometimes they're very nice). I stayed in cheap hotels on occasion, sure... but if I had my wife, I probably wouldn't. Nice hotels are almost as expensive as they are in the States.

That said, from reading what you've written so far, your budget is a bit more than mine. For example, your two rabies shots would have covered my entire 16,000 mile motorcycle trip, which lasted roughly the same amount of time.

So... I'm a huge proponent of camping, and I disagree with those who say it's hard to find a campsite and that camping is somehow more dangerous. My campsites were the places where I felt the safest, and where I was closest to my bike. On the handful of occasions I couldn't easily locate a place to pitch my tent, a cheap hotel room made convenient backup.

Then again, I also know very well that camping gear is rather bulky. Yes, you would save lots of space by not carrying it... but when I go again, I'll have my camping gear again. No question.

In any case, I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip immensely, and I look forward to reading and seeing where you went.

Jamie

Thanks for the insight.

Well, I think we might end up taking the gear....but I am going to get a smaller, lighter, better quality tent. Also, the fact that Dan will be taking his gear makes a big difference. Won't work out too great if he is camping and we are hoteling it!

Quote:
Some people got it good and some people got it better. It's tough to be
man baby But then again it's tougher to be a women. Glad I'm a man.
Have a good trip GSman.
Hey there, LeoStrom!! Shouldn't you change your user name now?? Shouldn't it be LeoGSADV?? Nice butt BTW!!

BriKielyGSman screwed with this post 12-10-2007 at 01:28 PM
Old 08-27-2007, 10:00 AM   #38
GSDirtBoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
When you get near Mendoza, Argentina shoot me an email:

motorradpatagonia@gmail.com

We are a VERY active BMW group here and will be more than happy to show you the best bike tours in the area, the best and cheapest resturaunts, and the best wineries. Plus great mechanics at way less than BMW prices! It is really a tough life here 8->

Have a great time. Be carefull! Watch all of your gear all of the time!!!!
No Brains Patagonian Racing Team
Motorrad Patagonia
Semper Fidelis / Fly Navy
GSDirtBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:06 AM   #39
GSDirtBoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Oh... Donīt know about the rest of South America but here in Argentina no one is going to steal your bike. They will steal EVERYTHING else, just not the bike. I have lost a laptop, a cell, phone, 2 cameras and an iPod. Forgot the key on my bike in the middle of Mendoza for three hours. Go figure.
No Brains Patagonian Racing Team
Motorrad Patagonia
Semper Fidelis / Fly Navy
GSDirtBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:34 PM   #40
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,623
IF you come near BAJA...

Amigos I so much want to come, I could do the Spanish part, pictures and ride with you... ok I can't but if you come this way (Baja) let me know.

Also you can find a lot of pills on the average pharmacy (while in Mexico)you don't need to gring it all.

Camping gear? it will take a lot of space but it could be usefull. You should do a couple more test drives to "feal it" and then determine what you can take.

Last summer I went to BC from Baja and I took to much stuff, and if I had to do it againg I would leave 30-40% of the crap I took, yes I took like 3-5 pais of everything and I mean there is Motel 6 every 40-50 milles with a washer and dryer so it was nuts.

One last tip, buy a couple of Loonly Planet books and there is a lot of information on places to stay (from campaing to 5 star hotel) with a list of phone numbers, email web pages, so you can more or less plan the trip and these books have beeing use for many years and they are worth 3 or 10 times their weight. They come in MExico, Central and South America editions.

OK that is all keep the writing coming and the best of trips!!

Damaso
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:40 PM   #41
BriKielyGSman OP
BigBadBri

Stolen stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDirtBoy
Oh... Donīt know about the rest of South America but here in Argentina no one is going to steal your bike. They will steal EVERYTHING else, just not the bike. I have lost a laptop, a cell, phone, 2 cameras and an iPod. Forgot the key on my bike in the middle of Mendoza for three hours. Go figure.
Yup, I guess the more crap you bring, the more crap they can steal right??

I was thinking of getting those metal nets (pack safe) to cover my tent and dry bags. I have seen people use them on their bikes.

Or is it just TOO much?? Might be better than worrying about the gear all the time.

Thanks for the invite of contacting you when we are close to Mendoza. I will certainly fire you off an email a few days in advance. Also, you should be able to track our progress through this thread. Within a couple of thousand kilometers anyway!!!!

Quote:
One last tip, buy a couple of Loonly Planet books and there is a lot of information on places to stay (from campaing to 5 star hotel) with a list of phone numbers, email web pages, so you can more or less plan the trip and these books have beeing use for many years and they are worth 3 or 10 times their weight. They come in MExico, Central and South America editions.
I think that the Lonely Planet guide books are fantastic. We will be bringing them along (if we have room!!! ). Thanx

BriKielyGSman screwed with this post 09-18-2007 at 10:11 PM
Old 08-27-2007, 09:29 PM   #42
Mono
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
I'm jealous of the trip y'all are to be taking. I went into Mexico for a short trip and used the pac-safe nets over the dry bags. I was more at ease at shorter stops (gas, lunch ect.) and there easy to fold up small and put away when you wanted.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:23 PM   #43
BriKielyGSman OP
BigBadBri

camping gear

Well, I guess if my camping gear gets stolen that should end the whole "camp or not camp" debate. Or maybe if it actually does get stolen!!

I now have GPS maps for all the Americas thanx to Bob the smelly biker @ www.smellybiker.com. The maps look very decent.

Here is a quote from his site.
Quote:

If you travel long distance a GPS receiver is a blessing and a curse, you *cant* get lost but the maps are expensive.
The Wanderlust Worldmap has been built from public domain data and contributions from around the world. Over many months its been processed into a set covering every country. The maps will be regularly updated, incorporating tracks, waypoints and other data contributed to the project. Lifetime membership allows you to download the latest release and any updates, all for a one-time charge of GBP 25.00
For those of you heading to places that Garmin hasn't mapped out yet, you might want to check his site out.

Only one more month to go!!!

I think we are pretty much ready. So....now what???

BriKielyGSman screwed with this post 12-10-2007 at 01:30 PM
Old 08-28-2007, 04:56 PM   #44
BriKielyGSman OP
BigBadBri

Spare tubes

What about spare tubes?? Do you guys carry them?? They are quite heavy and take up a lot of room. Could I just carry one ...a 19" and stuff it into the back 17" in an emergency?? I have heard of guys packing anything into the tire ....grass...clothing...etc....just to get you to the next town type of thing. I don't really want to carry two tubes, one I could probably do though.

BriKielyGSman screwed with this post 12-10-2007 at 01:31 PM
Old 09-05-2007, 10:21 PM   #45
TaterHarry
Redneck Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,464
[quote=BriKielyGSman]
The no insurance thing is a bit of a concern on a $25,000.00 motocycle. We are taking this Bull Dog lock; if nothing else for our own piece of mind. It is big and heavy, but with both bikes locked together I dont think anyone will be tossing them into the back of a pick-up. Let's hope I don't lose the key for it!! The GSA has the factory alarm as well. And besides, I will probably be sleeping on top of it!!!

Sleeping nearby is good, Bulldog locks are good, but for travel in South America (or even the American SouthWest) I recommend the fine alarm response systems built by Samuel Colt or his good friends Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson.
TaterHarry is offline   Reply With Quote