Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2007, 10:54 AM   #46
roninwva
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Man, I want to go to too. Lets see, a bike. Yes my wee strom will work. Time? no problem as I'm retired. Money? Oops, I guess that's the end of that dream.

Good luck and have a great trip. I'll be reading your posts reguarly.

Below is a great ride report about a man and his 23 year old daughter riding two-up through South America. The posts gives a lot of info about border crossings, etc.

http://www.likefatherlikedaughter.com/index.html

CMA
PGR
HOG
91 FLHTC
04 Kodiak 450
06 Wee-Strom

roninwva screwed with this post 09-06-2007 at 11:21 AM
roninwva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:36 PM   #47
BriKielyGSman OP
BigBadBri

Oddometer: 510
Money-no time....time-no money

That seems to be the vicious circle, huh. We got lucky, and were able to get both with some sacrifices.

Thanx for the link.....we will be checking it out.

Only three weeks left from tomorrow. I am excited, but a little anxious as well. Not really sure what we are getting into, but I guess that is the lure of it - travelling into the unknown.

I am hoping that the snow doesn't start flying around here until after we leave.

Installed a K/N Air filter in the bike yesterday, so that should be good for a few kilometers.

BriKielyGsMan's South America Ride Report - Two Up.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259451

BriKielyGSman screwed with this post 12-10-2007 at 12:32 PM
BriKielyGSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:15 PM   #48
c0ncha
pequenina

Oddometer: 7
Wink Pouting can take you places

OlŠ, ADV inmates! Thank you for letting me join the gang.

Iím the low-profile letter c in bckgs.blogspot.com that Big Bri kindly introduced in the beginning of this thread. After five weeks of being spoilt in Madeira, Portugal, I decided to come back to Canada to get ready for my upcoming trip. I figured that Iíd better be helpful now before Bri thinks of a more useful way to pack 130 pounds on the bike!

As September 28 approaches, I can no longer ignore the fact that I am getting nervous. Two weeks left! The pressure is on. Sometimes I wonder if pouting until I got invited to join the boys was the right thing to do

Besides all the nerve-racking reports I have been reading on informative sites, such as Lonely Planet and El Tiempo, my anxiety is due to the unprecedented issues that this trip involves. After all, my longest bike trip lasted twelve days, Iíve never travelled with two "gringos" in Colombia, and Iíve never had to choose between taking extra underwear or an additional bike part.

It is scary! There is no guarantee everything is going to be just fine, no one will give us a refund if things go wrong, and to top it all off, no one at my school is protesting because Iím not teaching there any longer. Unbelievable!

Human nature. I want to do something different but I fear the unknown. It canít be much more difficult than leaving sunny Madeira to move in with Bri in Northern Alberta!

Despite my contradictory feelings, Iím still happy I pouted. For now Iíll just focus on my next obstacles: my rabies shot tomorrow morning, and packing this weekend. Packing my stuff in that little bag B gave me will be a trial in itself. I hope itís stretchy material

Ta ta
Ate amanh„
c0ncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:58 AM   #49
BriKielyGSman OP
BigBadBri

ADV Stickers!!!

Watch out, Conchita has started to post!!!

Gadget boy got our stickers to us as ordered. Now there is NO excuse not to stop and chat with us when we are rolling through your town!!

The "Ride the World" sticker is actually black, but it is semi-reflective.

The ADV stickers are highly reflective as you can see in the bottom photo.

So now that we have our ADV stickers, I guess that means that we are officially ready to roll!!!

This weekend we will pack ALL the gear on the bike and see how things look. May have to leave some pills behind......

We have an appointment booked with BMW in Tuscon, Arizona, for the new set of tires and a synthetic oil change.

BMW of Las Vegas did not respond to our email. Hopefully we can make it to Tuscon on the Anakees.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1193/1376502700_f906efc133.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1426/1376504730_ed30569514.jpg

BriKielyGSman screwed with this post 12-10-2007 at 12:35 PM
Old 09-16-2007, 12:54 AM   #50
c0ncha
pequenina

Oddometer: 7
rabies shot-second dose

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1088/1383301129_131b7b842a.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1129/1384198402_87f43ef8ed.jpg

The rabies shot looks more like a shooter than a vaccine. Only one more to go!! Next one is scheduled for Sept 28th - the day we leave. I am cutting it a little close, "like usual" as Brian would say.

It was the first time this nurse gave a rabies shot......I am not sure who was more nervous......

Conchita

c0ncha screwed with this post 09-16-2007 at 11:18 AM
c0ncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:09 PM   #51
BriKielyGSman OP
BigBadBri

Rapid Transit Tank Bag

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1150/1399887910_4821d6c894.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1370/1399885214_371e66b1a1.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1117/1398995491_35827a659f.jpg

Versus B.U.T. (Big Ugly Tankbag :)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1086/1399920364_1556d2962e.jpg

After trying many different tank bags, I have finally settled on the Rapid Transit Bag above. It isn't perfect, but it is very good. I like how slim it is. Signal lights and horn are not activated when turning sharp. Now I don't have to wave to people in parking lots who think I was honking at them!!

If any of you have pull at the Rapid Transit Factory: the bag needs to be about 3 inches shorter (lengthwise) and include a little tank curve in it and voila, the perfect GS bag.

The map compartment is a little skinny if you are travelling East to West, but nice and long if you are going North to South- which is perfect for our trip!!!

Notice the leaves are changing colour - it certainly is time to get the H. E. double hockey sticks outta here.

Only ten days left!!!

BriKielyGSman screwed with this post 12-10-2007 at 12:39 PM
Old 09-17-2007, 07:26 PM   #52
GSgal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Glacier Park news

In case it was in your plans, please be aware that the road through Montana's Glacier Nat'l Park (Going the the Sun Road) closed today - early, due to maintenance needs. You can still go around the park via Hwy 2, but you can't cross through the park. The park is open for visits from either side, at least till the end of the month.

Let us know if you plan to be in Kalispell. Maybe we could gather a few AdvRiders together...
GSgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:10 PM   #53
BriKielyGSman OP
BigBadBri

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSgal
In case it was in your plans, please be aware that the road through Montana's Glacier Nat'l Park (Going the the Sun Road) closed today - early, due to maintenance needs. You can still go around the park via Hwy 2, but you can't cross through the park. The park is open for visits from either side, at least till the end of the month.

Let us know if you plan to be in Kalispell. Maybe we could gather a few AdvRiders together...
Arrggggg...those were our exact plans!!! Imagine that. Last time C and I went through the park there was a bunch of fires - couldn't see a thing for the smoke. This time ...it's closed.....hmmm. Thanks for the tip. We will have to go around.

And yes, we are planning on riding right through Kalispell. Probably around the 30th. Would be great to meet up with some ADVers for breakfast/lunch/supper/beers/info and a ride!! (well maybe not ALL these things!! ).

BriKielyGSman screwed with this post 12-10-2007 at 12:40 PM
Old 09-17-2007, 08:16 PM   #54
GSgal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Keep in touch as the time gets nearer. If you're through on a weekend (like the 30th), we should be able to work something out.
GSgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:26 PM   #55
BriKielyGSman OP
BigBadBri

See you in Kalispell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSgal
Keep in touch as the time gets nearer. If you're through on a weekend (like the 30th), we should be able to work something out.
Looking forward to it.

I see you met up with Bob the smelly biker -same as my riding partner Dan did. Bob seems to get around!!

For any that are interested, we have decided to leave the "sweet saw" (or whatever you call it) behind. That should free up enough room for one set of underwear (two for Conchita!! ).

Well, gotta run---I am still in search of my missing Sidi Rain Gloves - four days into the search...still no luck...It isn't looking promising. Well, it feels more like snow here, so no worries I guess.

BriKielyGSman screwed with this post 12-10-2007 at 12:41 PM
Old 09-19-2007, 12:15 AM   #56
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
Ride Report?
55 posts and you haven't left Canada yet?
Maybe this thread should be in Trip Planning until the TRIP ACTUALLY BEGINS?
We could go to school on your prep.

Maybe Robot Boy is up....oh, forgot, he's always up

Nice set up though...The Gringos are gonna be falling over each other down there. Do me a favor..don't ever pay the first price. Concita knows. Rabies? Perro's muy bravos, no? !Andale, pues!
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:51 AM   #57
BriKielyGSman OP
BigBadBri

Prep is part of the ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco
Ride Report?
55 posts and you haven't left Canada yet?
Maybe this thread should be in Trip Planning until the TRIP ACTUALLY BEGINS?
We could go to school on your prep.

Maybe Robot Boy is up....oh, forgot, he's always up

Nice set up though...The Gringos are gonna be falling over each other down there. Do me a favor..don't ever pay the first price. Concita knows. Rabies? Perro's muy bravos, no? !Andale, pues!
Ya, I know it has been a trifle boring for some. On the other hand, I think that the prep IS part of the ride.

In any case, the festivities are starting soon enough.

We probably didn't need some of the pills/vaccines that we got, but I guess the only thing that it hurts is the pocketbook.

BriKielyGSman screwed with this post 12-10-2007 at 12:42 PM
Old 09-19-2007, 09:31 PM   #58
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
I think Prep should be in Trip Planning. Folks there are looking for tips and ideas and you guys have some great ones. Ride Reports is PICS PICS PICS of ON THE ROAD travel. At least that's how I see it....But I'd like to impeach Bush too...so what do I know I think plenty of the "travelers" here like to watch others prep, so maybe it IS part of the ride. So have fun....

BTW, do you suppose meds might be a triffle cheaper down south? Millions of
Americans buy meds in Mexico's border towns every year. Now why is that?

Cheers!
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:53 AM   #59
strikingviking
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Beware, there is a reason that they are cheaper

A friend who opens up new hospitals in Mexico once advised me to avoid purchasing important pharmaceuticals in developing countries. They tested brand-name drugs manufactured outside of Western countries and discovered enormous variances in strengths from blanks to double doses. Do you want to risk this when your life may depend on Ciprol being effective?

Remember, there is no FDA to regulate quality and don't count on corporations to police themselves. This may be a little late for you, but others should be advised that in the US many public health clinics offer dirt-cheap vaccinations--at least compared to private clinics.
strikingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:01 AM   #60
strikingviking
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Maps

After studying and comparing a number of maps available in South America and comparing them with GPS coordinates, I discovered that, as of five years ago, the best map around is the free one from AAA. It's shows major and some minor roads in South America on one side and Central America on the other.

To protect it from the rain while studying it roadside while lost, pre-seal it at home on both sides using the widest, clear packing tape available. This makes it a bit bulky but damn near indestructible. I have loaned mine to several southbound travelers who later return it and it is still in decent condition.
strikingviking is offline   Reply With Quote