Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2007, 05:21 PM   #61
BriKielyGSman OP
BigBadBri

Oddometer: 510
Rabies-Rage!

Quote:
Perro's muy bravos, no? !Andale, pues!
Conchita loves to nibble on my ear, and I wasn't sure if she was rabies free or not.

Well, we plan on doing some hiking and hitting a few caves if possible, and in caves, there are usually bats and bats can be .......hmmmm....."rabicious" .

Quote:
After studying and comparing a number of maps available in South America and comparing them with GPS coordinates, I discovered that, as of five years ago, the best map around is the free one from AAA. It's shows major and some minor roads in South America on one side and Central America on the other.

To protect it from the rain while studying it roadside while lost, pre-seal it at home on both sides using the widest, clear packing tape available. This makes it a bit bulky but damn near indestructible. I have loaned mine to several southbound travelers who later return it and it is still in decent condition.
Where can we pick one of these maps up?? Or can we borrow yours??

BriKielyGsMan's South America Ride Report - Two Up.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259451

BriKielyGSman screwed with this post 12-10-2007 at 10:08 PM
BriKielyGSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:29 PM   #62
GSgal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
I will see if I can get you the AAA map here. I look forward to meeting you both, especially now that you're not rabid...
GSgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:55 PM   #63
BriKielyGSman OP
BigBadBri

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSgal
I will see if I can get you the AAA map here. I look forward to meeting you both, especially now that you're not rabid...
I said Conchita was rabid free, me on the other hand........

Sylvia, (hopefully the guy that posted in your thread had your name right!!) if it is possible for you to get a hold of a map for us, it would be greatly appreciated!! We do have our GPS with Smelly Biker's Wanderlust Maps, but I fear the paper maps that we have are not too great. I would imagine that maps are not readily available at the border crossing like we are used to in North America.

What is the temperature in Kallispell these days??

BriKielyGSman screwed with this post 12-10-2007 at 10:09 PM
Old 09-20-2007, 07:26 PM   #64
jimmydeanh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Awesome! Have a safe, fun trip and take lots of pics

hey if I subscribe down below and hit "no email notify" does that mean when i log in i will still see this thread listed? sorry i'm a newb here
jimmydeanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:13 PM   #65
GSgal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
No maps for rabid bikers.

I will see if our local AAA office has the maps. If not, the local Borders bookstore has quite a number of maps of Central and South America (don't ask how I know...).

Temps in Kalispell are chilly at the moment. This was the view from my office window yesterday morning:

It's 48F at the moment, but supposed to be 70F tomorrow, then in the 60sF for most of the next week. Who knows what it will be like 10 days from now when you arrive, but expect chilly and wet and you at least won't be disappointed.
GSgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:33 PM   #66
Brennan
Food & Bikes

Oddometer: 840
Great stuff you guys.
Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:49 PM   #67
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
You might try these guys on your way south for paper maps.

http://www.themapstore.com/contact.asp

There is a better map store in San Fran, but I can't remember the name and I didn't find it googling. The one above is in Windsor, CA, just north of Santa Rosa. Very small town, should be very easy to find.

But the SF store is the premier map store.

Best.
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:20 AM   #68
demenshea
1% Angel 99% Hooligan

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydeanh
Awesome! Have a safe, fun trip and take lots of pics

hey if I subscribe down below and hit "no email notify" does that mean when i log in i will still see this thread listed? sorry i'm a newb here
Yep, that's all u need to do and it will show up in your inmate CP under subscriptions.

Ok...I second the route of the east side of Flathead lake. That is a lovely route i took it only two months ago on my Canada Loop. However, I would certainly watch the snows as they are beginning to dust the Sierras already!!

If i recall your route was taking hwy 93 straight south. I can't find that post right now, but if that is the case I would love to try and meet you, if you are overnighting somewhere in NV. I am in Reno and it would be easy to ride out and hook up somewhere. I am sure offers are flying in...but here is another! It could break up the long boring route through NV I will pm you my cell number to meet or if you need anything while u are here.

A bit o' travel reading is a book titled Lois on the Loose, about a Brit woman who travels mostly solo from Alaska to Tierra Del Fuego. Not my favorite book, but a good tale about an extended ride and what she encountered.

With Conchita speaking Spanish...life should be easy!!

I am excited for you all and will be closely following your adventure!!

Be safe and have fun!!
donna
Old 09-21-2007, 08:53 AM   #69
tlgreen
Dirty adventurer

Oddometer: 553
Cry Take Me With You!!!!

I wanna gooooooooooooo!!!
Damn work.

I'm looking forward to meeting up with you & Conchita in June when I come up to Cool Pool.

Have a great trip guys!!!
Old 09-21-2007, 09:30 AM   #70
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikingviking
To protect it from the rain while studying it roadside while lost, pre-seal it at home on both sides using the widest, clear packing tape available. This makes it a bit bulky but damn near indestructible. I have loaned mine to several southbound travelers who later return it and it is still in decent condition.
I haven't tried it yet, but I've read that you can waterproof your paper maps by spraying them with ScotchGuard. I can confirm that your packing tape trick works very well. I have to print my out of country travel insurance "card" from our insurance provider and I do the same thing, just tape it both sides, trim to fit in the wallet, and I've been carrying it for years, and yes my wallets been soaked a few times but the card is good as new.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:22 AM   #71
cavebiker
Old School Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Thumb Wow you people ROCK!

After reading your report my wife and I are heavy into discussions about hauling our camping gear the rest of the way on a similar route. StrikingViking speaks we listen. We have been on the road now for 6 weeks and we’re glad we had our camping gear with us while in the US. Now that we are in Mexico the motels are cheap and I know they will get cheaper as we go further south. I just talked to a couple from California yesterday who had their camper van broken into at Bahia de Concepcion, just where we are planning on going next and camping. After hearing this we wouldn’t feel comfortable leaving our camp site to go into town for supplies or even take a long walk. This couple got robber twice in two days while they were out in the bay with their inflatable, bummer. I always said the camping gear comes along for safety incase we get caught in the middle of nowhere and it starts getting dark. We also want the camping gear for hanging out in some of the national parks in Chili and Argentina. After reading this we already decided the Teflon fry pan and aluminum pot gets dumped but the whisperLite camp stove stays. We like are morning coffee.

We don’t know what to do. Pitch the tent or keep it. We are loaded down and the weight savings by pitching the tent would be great. What to do?

Trip planning on ride reports is great and we appreciate the time you have spent detailing you’re planning. We are on a much more leisurely schedule but maybe we will bump into you in route. That would be great!

Best of luck with your trip!

www.JustAdventureTravel.net
cavebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:41 AM   #72
BriKielyGSman OP
BigBadBri

@Demenshea.........we would love to meet up....may even consider a detour off the 93, and head in closer to Reno. Meeting people from a way different culture... ...... is half the fun of the trip.

The route book I have here says that the West side of Flathead Lake is the scenic side.....but I will take the ADVers' word on it.

Thanx for all the other info as well.

BTW --I read your ride report a while back...it was fantastic. However, I don't think the day will come where I will see Conchita taking off on a great ride and leaving me behind!!!!

@TLGreen...........fire up that Katoom and come along...it's never too late!!

@Cavebiker.........we are taking our gear...

And your site link isn't working for us. Hopefully we can hook up en route.....we would love that.

@Django Loco......thanx for the map info.....

@Bross......never tried the scotch guard thing.....

Six degrees here in the early hours and late evenings....brrrr.....we might have a few days of cold riding ahead of us. But that's ok - we are prepared for that. We're from northern Alberta!!!

BriKielyGSman screwed with this post 12-10-2007 at 10:11 PM
Old 09-21-2007, 12:41 PM   #73
c0ncha
pequenina

Oddometer: 7
Cold weather? Bring it on!

Name:  Silverton Trip 634res.jpg
Views: 2177
Size:  86.4 KB

For the cold weather, I'm bringing along Big Bri and Frank Thomas (+ heated liner).

The only problem will be the heat. I haven't found any mesh gear yet!! I do confess that I am rather picky and I do enjoy the last-minute frenzy, but this time the absolute truth is that I haven't found anything yet. Still browsing around.

BTW - Thanks for all the great comments and valuable tips everybody has been posting. It's been very exciting to hear from you, and it will be a blast to meet up with some of you. I am really looking forward to starting this adventure. Thanks.
c0ncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:17 PM   #74
Flyingavanti
With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer: 1,545
Enjoy the ride - and if you need any help, Sandy and I are here to support your life changing experience!

Over 27,000 miles in South America -- which is NOT enough!

Here is a link to the South American Ride Report...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94531

Trip Index Page.... If you are interested in one spot in South America, you can click on this link http://www.ploung.com/south_america.htm and go directly to your point of interest.
www.Ploung.com
Flyingavanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:40 PM   #75
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebiker
After reading your report my wife and I are heavy into discussions about hauling our camping gear the rest of the way on a similar route.

I just talked to a couple from California yesterday who had their camper van broken into at Bahia de Concepcion, just where we are planning on going next and camping. After hearing this we wouldn’t feel comfortable leaving our camp site to go into town for supplies or even take a long walk.
Understand your hesitation. I would not miss camping in the B. de Concepcion area. The thing to do is find an actual fish camp or small beach camp for motorhomes (one with just a few users is best) You will pay a few pesos but there should be someone around, keeping an eye out, or just a wild camp with others there. In places you can find Palapas with folks around, sometimes they want a few bucks to camp there.

The Ladrones won't normally enter. Get to know the Gerente/Patron (manager/owner). Make contact. This is what the Viking is so good at....he meets people, reaches out... they like him....do this and they will watch your back. This really broadens your experience too, IMO, that's what it's all about.
We are all embassadors for the next guys who come along after us.....don't burn people.

I've been going to Baja since I was a kid...1964. Surfing and dirt bikes, mostly around Ensenada. But have made many trips throughout the area. You do have to be mindful of your stuff. Many have had cars broken into...not so much trouble with bikes...but we've all heard some stories.

I would keep your camping gear until La Paz. Are you planning on exploring the southern West coast of baja? Good camping over there. Surf over there too.

On the mainland there is some camping, but mostly not that great or safe. (speaking very generally here)There are some good tent camping places on the southern pacific coast but a motel may be close to the same price. Mainland Mex is far more dense than Baja.

I can't recall much camping in all of Cent. AM. Maybe parts of the Caribe side? I don't know it well. Also very dense. Costa Rica has some camping on Pacific beaches....but its been years for me being there. No recent info.

My take would be to send the gear back in La Paz and buy a tent in Chile, or Argentina if so inspired. Lots of safe camping in the south of both countries.

On one trip I worked and traveled for a year in S. America, after living in Guatemala for two years before that. I never camped, ever. I saw many euro's carrying...and mostly cursing....their camping gear that they rarely used. Having already spent years in Mexico/Guat./El Salvador, I knew camping was not going to be a highlight of the trip...well, you can't have everything.

I've done plenty of MC camp/rides in the USA. Fantastic. But....camping always takes more time. Setting up camp, cooking, cleaning, and then re-packing the following morning. You tend to get a later start and have to stop riding well before dark so you don't have to set up and cook in the dark. You have to find food...which can be a challenge till you learn the ropes. And when picking a spot when wild camping, the pros always like to see the spot in daylight. Makes sense...especially down south. But if the spiritually restorative aspects of camping are important to you...then you should pursue it. I hope it works for you!
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote