Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2007, 02:00 AM   #1
kave OP
Gravel rules

Oddometer: 486
How do you use a MX helmet with goggles when wearing glasses?

I have been using an integral helmet for years with my regular glasses. Works fine except when it's a bit rougher terrain.
I like to switch to using a MX helmet and MX Goggles. It has caused me a lot of pain though. The MX Goggles pushes my glasses on to my nose really hard so it's not an option. It get's worse at speed.
I tried two kind of contact lenses, can't use them.
So I come up with the idea of getting some kind of glasses that would fit under the goggles.
What do you use?
kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:55 AM   #2
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
I don't have a problem. I run Oakley goggles, can't remember the model name but they do a glasses specific model which are larger. My glasses are small which may help too.

Just in case you haven't come across them there is another type of contact available, I don't use them, but people who do rate them. You wear them overnight and they mould your eye to the shape of the lens. It's called orthokeratology. Take them out in the morning and you have perfect vision for 24 hours.
5th-Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:30 AM   #3
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
Many brands also have Rx inserts that hold lenses in their goggles. no pain that way, but you do need to carry glasses to wear when you take the goggles off.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:10 AM   #4
Sycamore
d00b

Oddometer: 1,697
i often wear sunglasses under Oakley goggles, no problem.
Maybe that's weird but it feels fine.
Sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:35 AM   #5
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
I wear Scott goggles, in an OTG (Over The Glasses) specific design. 87s, I think, but not too sure anymore.

As a general rule it works fine, although on a 2.5 hour ride the other day I got a nasty pain in my right temple. However, a 3.5 hour ride that same evening was very comfortable, so I probably just had my glasses mispositioned.

I think it probably helps that I've got thin wire rims and ear pieces, rather than heavy plastic or whatnot.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:41 AM   #6
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Oddometer: 1,610
I wasn't impressed with the OTG styles, but I'm lucky enough that my glasses are small and fit inside some of the regular styles.

I sat in Cycle Gear trying on EVERY pair until I found one that felt right, then tried them with the helmet too. I figured out that some of them would be fine with a little adjustment - cutting a slit or groove in the foam where it hits the arm of the glasses might help alleviate the pressure. If not, then OTG are for you. They are bigger and stand farther away from your face for extra clearance.

I'd say just go and try them all on. I'm not a contacts person at all, so it was necessary for me to find a pair that worked.
'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:03 AM   #7
Van Isle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
I suggest going out and trying a bunch of different styles. "OTG" designation is for "Over the Glasses" so that's a place to start, but I'm not sure it means much if they don't fit!

FWIW I wear a pair of Scott OTG goggles over my glasses in the dirt with an Arai XD. Works great.

Maybe you should try smaller sized glasses, i.e. the lens?

G'luck

VI
Van Isle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:10 AM   #8
Silver King
Maita'i roa ae!

Oddometer: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamore
i often wear sunglasses under Oakley goggles, no problem.
Maybe that's weird but it feels fine.
Which reminds me...does anyone have any experience with the light sensitive goggles like PRoGrip?
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:02 AM   #9
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,361
Scott OTG for me as well.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:58 AM   #10
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,569
Slightly off topic:

I have no experience with the off road style helmets, and am wondering what is the advantage to them over regular helmets, off road and on?

I just wear my street helmet when venturing onto fire roads and such, and have no current dirt bike experience. When I rode dirt bikes there were only Bell 3/4 helmets available.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:40 AM   #11
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Jim,

I really got my MX helmet because I found a screaming deal on it, not because of any particular advantages I knew about.

That being said, I've found it (with the 'beak' removed) to be excellent for hot summer days on-road, since the air flows so freely through it.

To be honest, I'm not really sure of the reasons for the design. I guess the visor thing helps shade the eyes, but I take it off for highway use.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:06 AM   #12
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,027
Goggles and MX helmets

Jim,

MXers wear open goggles and more open faced helmets because of airflow. It's hard work horsing a dirt bike around (especially when not a great rider and you have to lift the bike frequently DAMHIK). The goggles protect the eyes while letting the face sweat.

The other reason is dust. Most offroaders have peel-off plastic on their goggles to clear their vision when the going gets muddy--a faceshield just gets smeared.

A similar factor involves vibration: goggles move with the face while a face shield moves with the helmet. When it gets rough, a faceshield helmet moves too much, obscuring vision.

There's probably more reasons, but I will leave that for the true experts in Thumpers

I like using my MX helmet and goggles on short rides on my GSA.

I use Oakley goggles designed to fit over my eyeglasses. I shopped many places online to find the best deal on the Oakleys and finally ordered direct from the Oakley site.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #13
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 17,048
http://www.pro-vue.com/
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:17 PM   #14
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Here's a pic.

Oakley L frames are one brand example of OTG goggles. They are very comfortable and some non-glasses wearing riders will use OTG goggles because they are very comfortable and perhaps vent a little better than standard goggles. The Oakleys in this pic even have a snap-on attachment below the goggle to offer more sun, wind, and flying grasshopper protection while worn with an off road helmet.

TNC screwed with this post 12-15-2010 at 09:43 AM
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:01 PM   #15
Guaglione
Country mice

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Slightly off topic:

I have no experience with the off road style helmets, and am wondering what is the advantage to them over regular helmets, off road and on?

I just wear my street helmet when venturing onto fire roads and such, and have no current dirt bike experience. When I rode dirt bikes there were only Bell 3/4 helmets available.

Jim
Jim,

I have worn an Arai XD on and off road for years. I used it both with the clear visor and sunglasses, and without the visor with goggles, for off road stuff. I recently picked up and Arai VX-Pro 3, their all dirt helmet. The greatest thing about this lid is the amount of air that goes through it. It felt like I had air conditioning in my helmet.

One of the things I like best about MX helmets is the increased room in front of your face. It's easier to snake a drinking tube in, to reach in a wipe your nose, and easier to talk. I tried to wear my old road helemt once last year, and I couldn't do it. I am so used to the fit of the XD and MX Style lids, I could not stand the closed feeling of the chin bar. I also have a Nolan flip up, and I find myself riding with it flipped up......same feeling.

The biggest disadvantages of the XD and MX style lids is they are marginally noisier, and the sun visor catches wind at speed on the road. And the XD fogs like nobodies business when it rains.But, I like so many of the other plusses, that I cope with the cons.

Unless you are thinking of doing serious offroad stuff, I think you are ok with your road helmet. Although you can get a decent MX helmet for not too much money, it might be worth a try.

Cheers,

Luca

"This is the sort of ardent pedantry up with which I will not put."
Winston Churchill
Guaglione is offline   Reply With Quote