Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2007, 07:56 PM   #16
melodicly OP
illeteratte

Oddometer: 37
Yeah I have glanced at the versys, but it just really isn't appealing to me. The Vdtrom seems like the bike, but I am a little nervous about the "big bike" feel. I am only 5'11" and 145lbs. It is a 650, looks like a liter and feels like an 800. The beemer, looks like a 650 but feels like a 400 or something. I am a new rider, so now that we have established that they are both great bikes, with the beemer havinga few more draw backs lets change the focus from bike to rider for a moment. I read on the stromtropper forum that the V may not be the best first bike. Better yet it may not be the best bike for commuting on crappy skinny local roads. Now as mentioned I do want to be able to go to TN/NC four five times a year (about an 8 hour ride minding the limit) and this seems to really be the thing that keeps pointing me towards the V. I don't see myslef making good time on the f650, where with the V I would probably just keep going. So to make a long story short....
For a new rider what trade of should I make from a safety perspective? Better long distance comfert or better in town "flickability"?
Thanks a lot guys for all the info, your kind support and info is part of what makes me want to be a part of the motorcycling community....now if I could only get jazz musicians to get together and help each other out like that!
melodicly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:12 PM   #17
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,713
I commute nearly everyday on a 2006 F650GS and consistantly get 60MPG. The bike handles fine at highway speeds and I have plenty of power to pass at 80MPH (no down shifting required). There is a terrific group at f650.com that has invested a lot of time about the pros/cons of the F650.

I ride 90% street / 10% dirt and the bike is terrific. I am 5'11", 230lbs and the bike can feel small at times but all in all it is terrific. Did I mention that I get 60MPG?...

If I was looking for a bike to commute only, I would strongly consider the KW Versys, ABS and the Triumph Street Triple.

NateLePain screwed with this post 08-27-2007 at 08:17 PM
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:21 PM   #18
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodicly
Yeah I have glanced at the versys, but it just really isn't appealing to me. The Vdtrom seems like the bike, but I am a little nervous about the "big bike" feel. I am only 5'11" and 145lbs. It is a 650, looks like a liter and feels like an 800. The beemer, looks like a 650 but feels like a 400 or something. I am a new rider, so now that we have established that they are both great bikes, with the beemer havinga few more draw backs lets change the focus from bike to rider for a moment. I read on the stromtropper forum that the V may not be the best first bike. Better yet it may not be the best bike for commuting on crappy skinny local roads. Now as mentioned I do want to be able to go to TN/NC four five times a year (about an 8 hour ride minding the limit) and this seems to really be the thing that keeps pointing me towards the V. I don't see myslef making good time on the f650, where with the V I would probably just keep going. So to make a long story short....
For a new rider what trade of should I make from a safety perspective? Better long distance comfert or better in town "flickability"?
Thanks a lot guys for all the info, your kind support and info is part of what makes me want to be a part of the motorcycling community....now if I could only get jazz musicians to get together and help each other out like that!
I'm 5'7''. I sat on a Wee at the dealer and it felt like a really big bike, not that much different than the 1k. One thing I really like is the compactness of the F650. Right now I'm riding it more than my TDM900 (which is a similar size to the Wee) because it's just so easy to chuck around corners, pull wheelies on, etc. Like a motard only comfortable. Got 63mpg the other day despite a "spirited" pace
It's an extremely comfortable bike. All day rides are no problem and I'd have no problem taking it on multi-day trips (Heck, Striking Viking rode his around the world). That said, if I was carrying a passenger and their luggage, I'd want a bigger bike.
2006 Djebel 250XC

twinrider screwed with this post 08-27-2007 at 11:31 PM
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:47 AM   #19
beaste
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Vee strom regins

I have a K5 Vstrom 650. Im 163 cm tall, 5f5i in old language and as i run the suspension on its hardest settings for handling reasons, the seat is at the limits of my ability to cope. No worries though,,,although tall, its balance and light weight, well compared to some of my previous bikes, makes this managable.

Two up with panniers and roll bag on back its all a bit of fun particularly mounting and dismounting!

The Funduro is a great bike but for the small increase in fuel usage the Vee Strom is a far better option if all your riding is on tar or good dirt roads. If your into tough fire trails the Funduro is better but remember not that much better as its still basically a road bike not a full on chook chaser unless you buy the dakkar version or the just released enduro model.

There is a suzuki factory lowering option...revised links and a further chop of the seat that will lower the seat height by 25mm I believe. Drama here is it also reduces what is an already marginal ground clearence for a chookie!

Reality is if you want longish suspension travel, good ground clearence and a seating position not like a trials bike then seat height is one the thing which will go UP!
beaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:51 AM   #20
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaste
The Funduro is a great bike but for the small increase in fuel usage the Vee Strom is a far better option if all your riding is on tar or good dirt roads.
BMW stopped making the Funduro in 1999.
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 08-28-2007, 06:06 PM   #21
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
I read on the stromtropper forum that the V may not be the best first bike. Better yet it may not be the best bike for commuting on crappy skinny local roads. Now as mentioned I do want to be able to go to TN/NC four five times a year (about an 8 hour ride minding the limit) and this seems to really be the thing that keeps pointing me towards the V. For a new rider what trade of should I make from a safety perspective? Better long distance comfert or better in town "flickability"?
I had a WeeStrom and thought it would be a great first bike. I also thought it was very nimble and "flickable." But that perspective depends whether you're coming from a bigger or a smaller bike.

Ride both and see which turns you on. That said, I think this is the last year for the Beemer 650.
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:03 PM   #22
melodicly OP
illeteratte

Thanks guys this is very helpful. I would like to see the new 800gs as that just might be the best of both worlds, but I think my fear of the wee feeling like a bigger bike than it is are not really warrented. As we all know it doesn't really matter until you get to a stop sign! Not to mention there are some great used wees out there for great prices. Anybody know why they don't seem to be selling very quickly?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:49 PM   #23
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,267
Quote:
Anybody know why they don't seem to be selling very quickly?

Everyone is looking for a deal
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:23 PM   #24
Robert_C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
I have been hinking the same thoughts. I am still in China, and will be for almost anothr year. However, when I return (assuming I can find a job) I will be looking fo another bike.

First the hard part, I am 5'6" (I was at a Honda dealer in Chico, CA looking at a used KLR once and, as I was leaving, the sales man remarked to another, "short F#&%ers should stick to kids bikes."). The nearesst city that I am likely to find employment in is about a 60mi slab ride each way (I actiually tend to "short cut" about 10 of those miles on a two lane twisty road, Hwys' 263 & 96).

This leaves me looking for an inexpensive to opperate (which is not always the cheapest to buy) bike with ABS. I have done all weather commuting without ABS; very simply, I want it on my next bike. It needs the electric power to run a vest (both the Vstrom and the f650 have this).

So, how badly does it wack the Vstroms handleing to lower it, I do a lot of forest roads but very little trail riding and over 95% of my riding is street. The lowering links at Murphs kits only go down 3/4", does that seem to be enough for 5'6"?

Any guestimates of total cost comparisons over 50K miles/ What about total engine and chasis life? (yes, I know that a small car is cheaper. I do not want to drive a car to work)

I currently have a Yamaha V-Star 650. I am okay with power (yes, I would like more... but I am okay with it), The seat hight is great, I can flatfoot it easly, and th etall windshield provides pretty good upperbody wind protection, the lower deflectors help a lot. With that said, some of the things I do not like are that the brakes are terrible. The lights are poor (I have added lights, that helps a lot), and the seating position is hard on my tail.

Any other bikes I should be looking at? None of Kawasakis, commuter suitable, products offer ABS in The States. This also applies to Honda. The only other thing I see is the Suzuki SV650 ABS. However, all I have seen on it is that it is not really a suitable commuter bike.
As a nation we still continue to enjoy a literally unprecedented prosperity; and it is probable that only reckless speculation and disregard of legitimate business methods on the part of the business world can materially mar this prosperity. -- Theodore Roosevelt, Sixth Annual Message, December 3, 1906
Robert_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:34 PM   #25
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_C

First the hard part, I am 5'6"
I'm 5'7'' and with my 30" inseam can flatfoot my F650GS even with the taller Dakar seat on it. It's a really fun bike to ride.
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 09-01-2007, 03:58 AM   #26
melodicly OP
illeteratte

sounds like a new thread Rob. nothin personal. I would love to talk to ya about China (as well as bikes), but you will probably get a better response on a new thread involving, "5'6" rider wants commuter", or somthin like that anyway. I know I am 5'11" with long skinny legs and the stock wee is comfertable to me but not flat footed. Add a corbin and it is even worse (due to the width). I have pretty much decided on the wee due to the value and long distance comfert but I am still enticed by the light weight low gravity feel of the gs. Maybe there is a good touring saddle for the gs that would keep it from feeling like a dirt bike on your commute, I dunno. I think for me the twin will be more gratifying in the end (yeah I know I can't spell). Zhen, Shan, Ren (truth, compassion, tolerance). Good luck!
Dale
Old 09-01-2007, 08:44 AM   #27
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
I am still enticed by the light weight low gravity feel of the gs.
I just made a run to the store on the GS. It's such a nice motor, just give a quick twist of the throttle in first and the front end pops right up, totally controllable. For the first time in my life I think I'll get good at wheelies Meanwhile my TDM900 sits unused....
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 09-01-2007, 07:49 PM   #28
Rovas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
I had the same dilemma, GS650 vs. DL650. After riding both bikes several times, I went with the K650 05 V-Strom and haven't regretted it. I still like the GS's but it just wasn't as nice on the street as the Strom (where I spend the majority of my time-canyons,dirt/grvel roads). On dirt, as previously mentioned, neither is a real dirt bike. I have taken my Strom on some "trails" where it didn't belong (and banged up the exhaust pipe) but it was managable. Non the less, I won't be riding like that again on the Strom (I'll get a dirt bike). On the street, there is no comparison. THe GS is nice, the Strom nicer (esp with the Tourances). Off road, there'r the same. Both great bikes, just the Strom fit my 90/10 street/dirt bill better. Not to confuse things, but... I'd also take a good look at the DR 650. IT was the nicest riding thumper I rode and actually beat the GS in my book. Good luck
Rovas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:47 PM   #29
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,342
In your title you mention the DL 650 ABS.

Check to see if the abs can be turned on and off. I am pretty sure it can be on the GS but not on the Wee.

If you are going into the woods, that is a nice option.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:17 PM   #30
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote
In your title you mention the DL 650 ABS.

Check to see if the abs can be turned on and off. I am pretty sure it can be on the GS but not on the Wee.

If you are going into the woods, that is a nice option.

It can be de-activated on the WeeABS. Pop the seat, and right there are two fuses for the ABS system. Remove either one, and the system stops working.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote