Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2007, 05:58 AM   #1
Fast Eddie OP
GS Boxers forever.......

Oddometer: 420
Gearbox plug crush washers

Good morning,

Can someone tell me if the gearbox fill and drain plug crush washers are the same as the engine oil drain plug crush washers? Also, how many times would you re-use a crush washer? Why is it called a crush washer anyway, (you squeeze it some but dont really 'crush' it, right?

Thanks,

Ed

If Emmanuel Kant, can Ghenghis Kahn?

'05 R 1200 GS
'06 R 1200 GS
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:51 AM   #2
leahyz
Gigantic Tool

Oddometer: 471
Funny you should ask, I was looking for them last night on the online parts list. I could not find them! I found and ordered the engine drain plug crush washers, but the transmission ones were not listed. The plug was, but not the washer????

On a seperate note - this will mark the first time I have actually changed this washer (engine drain plug) on my 1200. I changed the one on my K100 since it came in the filter kit (why doesn't it on the 1200?) but I've never changed the GS one. I did the trans fluid and also did not change it. In fact the K100 is the only vehicle I have ever changed one on - on any plug. In fact, none of my other vehicles have a crush washer! It's just a flange headed bolt.

I plan to not change the trans washer when I do the fluid change. I don't think it's a big deal to use them multiple times. I have and have never had a leak. I have even reused them on brake banjo bolts in my race car.

2006 Pacific Northwest Trip - Gone Wanderin...
2008 Trans-Am Trail Ride - TN & MS
leahyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahyz
Funny you should ask, I was looking for them last night on the online parts list. I could not find them! I found and ordered the engine drain plug crush washers, but the transmission ones were not listed. The plug was, but not the washer????

On a seperate note - this will mark the first time I have actually changed this washer (engine drain plug) on my 1200. I changed the one on my K100 since it came in the filter kit (why doesn't it on the 1200?) but I've never changed the GS one. I did the trans fluid and also did not change it. In fact the K100 is the only vehicle I have ever changed one on - on any plug. In fact, none of my other vehicles have a crush washer! It's just a flange headed bolt.

I plan to not change the trans washer when I do the fluid change. I don't think it's a big deal to use them multiple times. I have and have never had a leak. I have even reused them on brake banjo bolts in my race car.
On the R1200 the trans drain and fill plug have "captured" washers, and you often can't buy just the washers, you have to buy new plugs.

However, I took the measurements down a few weeks ago, and will see if I can dig them up here.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:27 PM   #4
FXRocket
Phoneticide Squad

Oddometer: 5,315
I went to NAPA I think...
Old 09-06-2007, 08:17 AM   #5
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oil drain plug: 19.7mm outer diameter, 16.0mm inner diameter, 1.5mm thick.

Trans Oil drain plug: 17.7mm outer diameter, 14.1mm inner diameter, 1.5mm thick.

Trans Oil fill plug: 21.7mm outer diameter, 18mm inner diameter, 1.5mm thick.

Final Drive Oil drain plug O-ring: 15.0mm outer diameter, 11.2mm inner diameter, 1.8mm thick.

Final Drive Oil fill plug O-ring: 15.4mm outer diameter, 11.0mm inner diameter, 2.1mm thick.

Sorry, it took me a while to find it!

Jim
Old 09-07-2007, 07:42 AM   #6
Fast Eddie OP
GS Boxers forever.......

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Oil drain plug: 19.7mm outer diameter, 16.0mm inner diameter, 1.5mm thick.

Trans Oil drain plug: 17.7mm outer diameter, 14.1mm inner diameter, 1.5mm thick.

Trans Oil fill plug: 21.7mm outer diameter, 18mm inner diameter, 1.5mm thick.

Final Drive Oil drain plug O-ring: 15.0mm outer diameter, 11.2mm inner diameter, 1.8mm thick.

Final Drive Oil fill plug O-ring: 15.4mm outer diameter, 11.0mm inner diameter, 2.1mm thick.

Sorry, it took me a while to find it!

Jim

Thanks Jim!

Could this have been designed easier? Fill plugs being fill plugs, you would think simplifying the washer issue would be a bavarian engineer goal. Nein?

regards,

If Emmanuel Kant, can Ghenghis Kahn?

'05 R 1200 GS
'06 R 1200 GS
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:41 AM   #7
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
Thanks Jim!

Could this have been designed easier? Fill plugs being fill plugs, you would think simplifying the washer issue would be a bavarian engineer goal. Nein?

regards,

Talk about an Oxymoron!

Jim