Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2007, 09:07 AM   #1
Tybalt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
GPS advice needed!

Im in Europe now. I thought it would be a good idea to buy a GPS unit here as it would have all the right maps -but when I got here I found that they were twice as expensive and didnt have the maps.

I was looking at the Etrex Vista Hcx - heard it was excellent. But the maps are crazy expensive for Europe. I have heard that its a bit easier to get the Europe maps V8. Any suggestions?

Is there a better GPS for me to use?

Thanks!
Tybalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:27 AM   #2
EXRM193
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Try shopping in Andorra. It`s tax free there. And it`s a good ride to get there.
EXRM193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
blackSP
62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50

Oddometer: 450
Get the Garmin 60CSx. Robust, waterproof, takes sd cards, autorouting, 30 hours on a set of NiMh. I use it for walking, climbing, riding motorcycle, mountainbike, car, anything.

b l a c k S P e c i a l s
blackSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:19 AM   #4
Buggles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Hi BlackSP,

The Garmin you mention looks interesting, affordable too! I hope you can answer these two questions:

1. How do you mount it on your bike?
2. Does it include backroads? The websites mention highways, and exits, but not regular B roads and such...

Thanks,

JB

Gone but not forgotten:
'04 Tiger (MRA Vario screen, crash bars, heated grips, K&N airfilter, dual headlamp mod)
'93 ZZR600 (SOLD)
Buggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:38 AM   #5
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggles
1. How do you mount it on your bike?
2. Does it include backroads? The websites mention highways, and exits, but not regular B roads and such...
1. - Look for a source that handles R-A-M mounts - they make something to fit almost everything to anything.

2. - Typically (for the non-automotive units), the basemap will only show major roads. You would need the appropriate Mapsource product to get the small road details. The US versions show the equivalents of Motorways and A Roads.
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:09 AM   #6
Buggles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ
1. - Look for a source that handles R-A-M mounts - they make something to fit almost everything to anything.

2. - Typically (for the non-automotive units), the basemap will only show major roads. You would need the appropriate Mapsource product to get the small road details. The US versions show the equivalents of Motorways and A Roads.
Thanks Michael, unfortunately, the cost of the extra mount and maps makes it just as expensive, if not more expensive, than a full-on Zumo.

I'll keep looking,

JB

Gone but not forgotten:
'04 Tiger (MRA Vario screen, crash bars, heated grips, K&N airfilter, dual headlamp mod)
'93 ZZR600 (SOLD)
Buggles is offline   Reply With Quote