Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2007, 04:56 AM   #1
KeithDommirider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Sydney to Belanglo (Australia)

Hi all
Just a quick report of my little ride on Saturday the 17th of November.
I had set my sights on heading south from Sydney to Belanglo state forest for a look around then head west to Bangadilly National park.

I took off at about 7am , it was going to be a warm day so I packed plenty to drink and some extra fuel.
My first stop was on the motorway as my GPS (new toy) kept turning off , I had heard that my GPS was prone to this as the batteries vibrate and lose connection. So in my heavy handedness , I tried to bend the battery lugs to make them hold the battery tighter and broke one.
Bugger , so I was trying to think of something to fix it and luckily there was an old orange juice popper on the side of the road and I was able to salvage some aluminum foil out of it and bodgied up the contacts enough to get the GPS working. I’ll have to hard wire it this week with some sort of socket.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backpacker_murders
The Belanglo state forest is famous for the backpacker murders , I had never been there before and didn’t see a single soul the whole time I was in there , so it would be pretty easy to stash the odd body , hand to know if I ever turn serial killer.

West of Belanglo there were some good trails , lots of rough stuff and I made it all with no dramas , it’s amazing where this bike will go , you just point and squeeze and Dommi pops over anything.

I was getting a bit lost , so I decided to let the GPS navigate to the Bangadilly National park. This was great I thought …

1st thing to happen was I was riding slowly reading the GPS as a right hand turn was coming up on a fire trail , I look up and I’m surrounded by Emu’s. Now being a city slicker I thought Emu’s lived way out west , it was nice to see them. But they were all little ones except this big one that stopped right in front of me. It was a mummy Emu and I was between her and her babies. She lowered her head and started stomping towards me , I hit a bird on my bike for the first time about a month ago , but this was getting a bit silly , revenge of the birds. There’s no reverse , no window to wind up , not like any of the African game drives I’ve been on. All these things went through my head , shit , where’s my camera , I’ve got my hand on the clutch , do I just gun it right at her ?

Cool as anything I just rev the motor and she’s sees that I’m not to be messed with.OK I nearly shit myself. I tried to get my camera out , but they took off , there are little emus in this photo and one big angry one.

If you’ve never seen and emu up close they have evil eyes that stare right into your soul ! Very dangerous , Ok , they are probably not that dangerous , but they scare the shit out of me.

2nd thing to happen ? Onward I go , west of Belanglo , I follow the GPS’s instructions , I come to an open gate , lots of signs about private property , and it's a wildlife refuge , it says so on the gate , I think “that’s nice , it’s a road through a wildlife refuge and there some private properties here too”. I continue along enjoying the trail and the scenery , and then an angry landowner bolts across , hurdles a fence to confront me. “How would you like it if I came and rode around your backyard” he says a number of times in our discussion. Eventually he calmed down, and I didn’t end up in a shallow grave in the forest . (Bad joke) He was telling me stories of stolen tractors and groups of 4WD’s pulling up on his front lawn etc. So I can sympathize with all that. I took a photo of the gate for you to see, I suggested he shut the gate and put of a sign that says Keep out or something , but what do I know.

Here is the gate , it was open and I just followed the road on my map , it's didn't say "keep out" to me.

So I turned back , wondering how he can afford to maintain all these nice fire trails on his private property ? No harm done and none intended , I head down to Canyonleigh road and up to Bangadilly National park , making a few detours , stopped and asked some directions from an old bloke on a tractor and he restored my faith in country people , he was full of character and gave me great directions and made a few jokes, he sent me off with a wave and a smile. Now that’s what meeting new people is what it’s all about.

So I took the long way around , and the weather and scenery were fantastic , we’ve had a bit of rain lately , not enough , but things are looking green.

I stopped for my coffee and biscuits here at Swallow tail pass , met a couple of old blokes on their way to vintage machinery rally. I was going to stop and have a look , but time was short , the temperature was high , I’d drunk about 5 litres and piddled about 20, lunch at Taralga pub was calling me.

A few pictures on the way home and finish with a self portrait , rode home though my first hail storm on the bike , ouch.

So a great day out , High Adventure in Angola it wasn’t, but plenty enough for me.
KeithDommirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:04 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Nice riding! Thanks for posting
Old 11-18-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,449
Awesome, thanks for that. Love reading ride reports from back home. Can't wait to get some down myself.

Sucks about that bloke not letting you through though.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:09 AM   #4
whitey222
occasionally adventurous

Oddometer: 1,134
Nice report Keef !

I've not ridden down that way, even though it's only a couple of hours from my home. Must get out more !

That big 'ol emu was most likely a male by the way. Mr Emu is the one responsible for child raising duties.

Pity about the dude at "BunnyGalore ". He must have been having a bad day.

whitey222 screwed with this post 11-18-2007 at 11:24 AM
whitey222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:56 PM   #5
KeithDommirider OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for that Whitey , I know nothing about Emu's.
The only emus I've seen have been at wildlife parks , I alway thought they lived way out west in the outback.
I will have to learn more about them , best to know your adversary.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:00 PM   #6
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,350
- nice one Keef, wont be many places you have not visited soon
Old 11-18-2007, 02:39 PM   #7
Duscherck
Vufera Era

Oddometer: 175
Nice report..thank for share!
Duscherck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:09 PM   #8
bonox
Tryin Hard

Oddometer: 2,932
Great story Keith

May I ask for a guided tour of the region some time in the future?
Old 11-18-2007, 03:20 PM   #9
KeithDommirider OP
Studly Adventurer

Yeah no worries , we'll have to have a ride soon.
I can't promise Emu's though
Old 11-18-2007, 03:21 PM   #10
bonox
Tryin Hard

Oddometer: 2,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeefDommiRider
I can't promise Emu's though
bugger - that's the only reason I asked!

I've got some video of an emu in the snowies chasing me across a dry plain - they are fun when you wake up to one putting its head in your tent though!
Old 11-18-2007, 04:09 PM   #11
KeithDommirider OP
Studly Adventurer

Hehe , good stuff :)
They scare me
Old 11-18-2007, 05:31 PM   #12
solorider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Nice ride... what kind of bike is that?

http://www.pcsn.net
http://www.premiersurvey.com
solorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:59 PM   #13
KeithDommirider OP
Studly Adventurer

It's 1995 Honda NX650 (Dominator) Just got 51000 kms on it now.
My first bike , loving it :)
Old 11-18-2007, 09:52 PM   #14
gco0307
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Nice one Keef and I will second the commenst abnout the trails in the area and the 'keep out' message from the landholders of Bunnygalore.

It sure as crap is nic country and some of those pics look very familiar.

Garry
gco0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:01 AM   #15
kapitaal
Lost

Oddometer: 80
Go the dommie

Hey Keef - reminds me of my dommie which was also my first bike! Here's a ride report and some pics of my old bike which was bought by Jaqhammer and is up for sale again.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147760
kapitaal is offline   Reply With Quote