Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2007, 05:42 PM   #31
caesarcornelius
lowly intern...

Oddometer: 9
Great report, awesome photo's. Keep it rolling!

"We have two ears and one mouth so we can listen twice as much as we speak".
caesarcornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:06 PM   #32
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
Was a little surprised to see this sign not far from Chapleau. I thought it might have been a little further north. Interestingly, it's only 150kms or so from Lake Superior at this point.
I've got a pic of that same sign. Of course I live nearby.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:35 PM   #33
Fin
Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
The ghosts know.

The ghosts always know.
Hey Lornce

Just wanted to say nice job on the ride report. Don't know what it is but I'm enjoying this one better than any I've read before. Maybe cause it's the back road style of touring that I like most or maybe it's cause you take the time to just hand out on the road, smell the air, make pix and enjoy. The essence of the ride is apparent. Keep it comming, I'm enjoying this almost as much as you did.

Fin

IBA#12239
BMW MOA #124707
Save $5 when you open your own smugmug account. Use code: ByFAeFySLnQKM
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:32 PM   #34
Lambo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
Nice ride report and great photos, you have a good eye....sucks me right into the photo...THanks.
Lambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:31 AM   #35
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,764
Thanks for the kind words, lads. It's good to know you're enjoying the report and the pictures. I've got to say, I fell in love with the praries. The vast open spaces and solitude is really engaging. A friend yesterday mentioned that it's understandable to her why so many of Canada's authors are from the praries. It certainly puts you in a reflective mood.

It does me, anyway.

I couldn't decide if this view was more effective with a prominent foreground or a prominent background. So I took one of each.

They both work for me as juxtapositions of the efforts of man with the forces of nature. Or God's providence. Or however you wish to interpret that sort of thing.

Lornce screwed with this post 02-19-2010 at 06:53 PM
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #36
Fin
Kahoon's my daddy!

Quote:
I couldn't decide if this view was more effective with a prominent foreground or a prominent background. So I took one of each.

They both work for me as juxtapositions of the efforts of man with the forces of nature. Or God's providence. Or however you wish to interpret that sort of thing.
Dominant foreground works best for me. Not like I have any idea about those kind of things.

Fin

IBA#12239
BMW MOA #124707
Old 09-12-2007, 05:46 PM   #37
Ridemuch
SUP

Oddometer: 2,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin
Dominant foreground works best for me. Not like I have any idea about those kind of things.

Fin
You know jack about these things....
Old 09-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #38
Fin
Kahoon's my daddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridemuch
You know jack about these things....

I'll show you Jack!

IBA#12239
BMW MOA #124707
Old 09-12-2007, 07:43 PM   #39
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,764
Settle down there boys. I'm tryin to make art here.

Who remembers back to '76 when the Canadian Gov't commissioned a group of Canadian photographers and published a book to celebrate America's Bicentennial?

"Between Friends/Entre Amis" was a classic coffee table book featuring images from both sides of the border region from coast to coast. It was a beautiful book filled with lush, stylistic and romantic images. And it was offered as a gift from the people of Canada to the people of America.

My mother bought a copy of that book for our family for Christmas of '75. I spent countless hours pouring over the images and studying the place names and maps. I was 14 and my love for photography and travel was sealed.

Things have changed since the heady days of the mid '70's. It's now an offence to photograph US federal buildings. Including US border stations.

Here's a lament for a simpler and more innocent time.

And you guys thought I was joking about the name of that border station.

Check your gas when you're going anywhere around here. Might be a while before you get another chance to fill up. Not all those towns on your map have gas stations.

Wood Mountain Saskatchewan doesn't have a gas station. Though the road's nicely sloped to permit rolling the last half mile into town once your airhead's run completely dry...

It's got one of those distinguished looking old wooden grain elevators, though. Not many of those left on the praries anymore.

If you look closely at this picture you'll notice my tankbag swung back out of the way and the gas cap wide open in "filler'up" mode. I was in a pickle.

Not for long, though. A local native kid driving past in his pick-up truck stopped to see if I needed any help. When I explained my situation he ran off home and returned with enough gas to completely fill my tank. Wouldn't take more than the going rate for it, either. He saved my bacon and I had chance to meet another fine fellow along the road. Whoever you were, friend, it was my great pleasure to meet you.

I should have taken your picture.

They've mostly been replaced by these slick metal units. Though credit must be given to Pioneer for maintaining their lively colour schemes which create striking landmarks on the prarie horizons.

"Found" these badges on a discarded old wreck laying in the bottom of a ravine in a pile with several other old cars. Amazing the number of old cars sitting around on the prarie. Most of them have pretty solid metal on them, too. Amazing to a guy from the road salt capital of the world, anyway.

In keeping with the sophomoric gag theme... I guess you head south to get to the Excited States.

Lornce screwed with this post 02-19-2010 at 06:57 PM
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:08 PM   #40
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,014
I feel like such a pussy now, riding that Burgman, with it's fancy fuel injection,
and 120 watt auxiliary power outlet...
Old 09-12-2007, 08:10 PM   #41
Fin
Kahoon's my daddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron
I feel like such a pussy now, riding that Burgman, with it's fancy fuel injection,
and 120 watt auxiliary power outlet...
Roll on Lornce, roll on.

IBA#12239
BMW MOA #124707
Old 09-12-2007, 08:19 PM   #42
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Route wise, I planned to stay on minor roads, eschewing the Trans Canada wherever possible.
Fantastic!

Just following highway #1 the whole way gives you the impression that every town is just the same gas stations and big-box stores

So it's great to see that you're using the motorcycle as a means to explore and photograph beyond the TCH.

I'm looking forward to a similar trip in the spring, thanks for the additional inspiration.

Are you carrying an SLR or just a lil point n' shoot?

I love the "ghosts" photos, and I prefer the tighter cropped version of the prarie photo with the "Jesus Beams"

Keep on postin'!

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:22 PM   #43
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Also, you rawk for using the word "eschew"

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:38 PM   #44
Ronyx
Mo shile togam suas

Oddometer: 213
excellent photography!!!

One of my favourite photographers, Freeman Patterson, (who rode Harleys for many years)contributed to the 1976 book "Between Friends". I have, unfortunately, not been able to find a good copy.

Your photography is really top notch and what better way to see, explore, and photograph Canada than by motorcycle.

Awesome!
Ronyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:54 PM   #45
the velvet hammer
airhead @ heart

Oddometer: 241
..and I thought arno gave the year's best ride report. Keep it coming, I can't wait for the next mile. Nice "dummer" shirt, by the way!
the velvet hammer is offline   Reply With Quote