Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2007, 11:32 PM   #61
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,541
Heading north from Creston was a stunning display of mountains and clear, crystal blue Kootenay Lakes. The views didn't quit. The on again off again rain and the clouds just added to the drama and beauty of the scenes.

The lakeshore reminded me of Tobermory on the Bruce Penninsula shores of Georgian Bay with it's clear cold water and aqualine tint. Just gorgeous.

Around the next bend, back into the rain and another fantastic view.

What are we doing here in Ontario?

A free ferry ride across the Kootenay Lake on the Osprey 2000, a modern car ferry built locally in, you guessed it, 2000.

As far as I could tell, all the inland ferries in B.C. were free to travelers. Of course, nothing's free, but it's a nice touch to be able to get on a ferry and break up the ride, enjoy the views and not have to pay a hefty toll.

Sweet.

And some of the views from the ferries were simply unforgetable.

You didn't think I was just going to take one picture of the rainbow, did you?

Once the ferry landed in Balfour I headed north along Hwy 31 towards Kaslo to find Lost Ledges Provincial Park, but a couple of miles up the road I passed a large sign featuring a frog riding a chopper that read "Toad Rock Motorcycle Campground". Hmmmn, wonder what that's all about?

I swung around and rode up the driveway into the woods past a self registration booth, modern shower/washroom facilities and some very fine looking campsites nestled into the trees. Hey, this is NICE. Looking further I ran into a matronly grey haired woman and inquired about the registration policy and other things when she stopped me mid sentence, looked at me squarely and said "This is my home. Welcome to my home, I'm Mary. Have a look around, make yourself comfortable and we can deal with that later." Hmmmn, not the sort of business approach I'm used to. I like it.

Turned out the registration procedure worked completely on the honour system. There were envelopes and a box and a sign saying $15/night and a note reminding folks about karma. Nice approach. I was really gonna like this place.

http://www.toadrockcampground.com/

I found a site with a picnic table under a handy lean-to and didn't even bother setting up my tent. The thermarest on the picnic table would be perfect. And I was ready for a little R&R so I planned to go for a little unladen exploration ride the next day and stay two nights.

Shortly after setting up I wandered towards the pavillion building, which is a big post and beam type log house without the walls that features a pool table, bar, sound stage and ample seating for a great big party. It also features some of the most eclectic folk art/memoribilia you'll ever see tacked to a post, wall or cieling. You could spend ages looking around and you'd probably still miss much of it. Seems along the way everyone's left a little momento somewhere. The place has character in spades. And characters.

The first person I met was a Swiss guy traveling around the world on his Honda TransAlp. Mathias had already ridden through Europe, Turkey, Iran, Pakistan, India, Thailand, Malasia, Cambodia, Vietnam and some other places I may have forgotten before landing in Alaska to continue south through North America. He'd been all over North America, too, having already traversed the Trans Labrador Hwy and the Maritimes. He'd even been to Dover on July 13th! I live in Hamilton, 75kms away, and I didn't even go to Dover on July 13th. We got a live one, here.

Mathias was one of the more interesting fellows I met on this trip. We spent several enjoyable hours chatting and working on our bikes and hanging out in the pavillion etc. But I don't have single decent picture of him. He's got a good website documenting his adventure at: http://www.mathiasschmid.ch/

He, on the other hand grabbed my camera and took this pic while I was changing the rear tire on the mighty R-Five-O.

Lornce screwed with this post 02-19-2010 at 07:42 PM
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:43 AM   #62
chuck7140
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Great report

Can't wait to see more
Old 09-14-2007, 04:57 PM   #63
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 7,410
This brings back memories!

Lorance, you're bringing a tear to my eye.
I spent 2 summers and three winters living in Banff, and drove out for the first winter.
I'd forgotten alot of what I saw during those years, but your photo adventure has brought back many memories.
Thank you!
Rob
RobbieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:33 PM   #64
jeckyll
Kneedragger

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
Route wise, I planned to stay on minor roads, eschewing the Trans Canada wherever possible. So far I'd only followed the TCH from Wawa to Thunder Bay and again from Kenora to just across the Manitoba border. You really don't have a lot of choice between those two points.

Once into Manitoba I headed south and west zig zagging across the lower part of the province following the most minor roads I could see on the map, many of them gravel. I ain't got no gps and I don't listen to no i-pod. Actually, I've owned an older gps for years and only ever found it useful as a speedometer and altimeter. I like maps. And I like to sing in my helmet. One of the things I do when traveling on my bike is allow signs and place names to trigger songs and tunes in my head. Stop and think about it and it's amazing how many popular tunes have place names and references in them.

Not this one, though. This is just a gravel road, a wheat field and the big prarie sky somewhere near Morris, Manitoba.
Great picture!

Enjoying the report so far... and as for those Kootenays, well lets say I'm glad I only live a days ride away

jeckyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:16 PM   #65
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB

Oddometer: 545
Thumb Prairie shots a treat!

Lornce...Looks and sounds like you had a great trip. Great shots on the prairies of the sorts of things most folks might take for granted. Glad to hear the R50 worked a treat. Looking forward to the rest of the ride.

Cheers Steve

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
SteverinoB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:47 PM   #66
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,541
Seems like most nights at Toad Rock there's likely a bit of a party going on down at the pavillion.

The guys in the foreground were on a riding holiday from Cold Lake Alberta where they worked in the gas industry. Albertans on holiday is a big theme in the Kootenays these days. I razzed them about thier money being accepted at par. They didn't always think that was funny.

Guy on the left told me a story about working for Esso on the Beaufort Sea years ago when a guy was carried off by a massive polar bear. Guy weighed 180lbs and the bear picked him up and shook him like a rag doll. They eventually shot the bear and recovered the fellow's remains. All 60lbs of them.

The Kootenays are home to one of North America's highest densities of grizzly population. I bought a can of bear spray.

Nice little party spot, eh? Nice though provincial parks are, this sorta beats it hands down.

Oh yea, that's Matias in the middle with his back to the camera.

Steve, Mary's husband, loves to entertain on the guitar and encourages others to sing along. He'll play anything you wanna hear.... As long as it's John Prine. Which was fine with me.

John Prine is an American cultural treasure.

"Sam Stone came home
To his wife and family
After serving in
The conflict overseas..."

Another view of the pavillion where the "donations jar" sits atop a self serve beer fridge set on ice cold.

Now I know what you're thinking, but'chew gotta get your minds outta the gutter. That red thing hanging beside the sign is called a snatch block. Nothing much happens around a logging operation without one of those.

From left to right are one of the fellows from Cold Lake (I'm sorry, but I forget his name) Storm, a school teacher from Calgary, her partner Jim and Steve, the president of the Kootenay Region John Prine Fan Club.

Storm and Jim were celebrating the purchase of thier retirement home just down the lake from Toad Rock. Congratulations, you two. May you enjoy many happy years in this beautiful area.

What am I doing here in Ontario?!?

I don't have a picture of it, but the morning after the party in the pavillion was pretty funny...

You see Ivan, one of the Cold Lake Boys, got pretty sideways the night before and he still wasn't moving in his tent by 10am or so... Fearing the worst his good buddy (the guy whose name I stupidly forgot) thought to revive him by carefully placing the loud end of his Screamin Eagle's straight pipes into Ivans open tent.... Then he pulled the trigger.

Once the dust settled and the sounds of screaming became a faint memory... We were all relieved to see his good friend's thoughtful actions revive Ivan good as new and ready to face another day.

I'm still not sure how the tent survived.

Once I regained my composure (Lawdy, that was funny!) I mounted the unladed R-Five-O and headed off towards the historic town of Kaslo. Wow, without gear and bags aboard the thing felt right sporty. It's all relative, eh?

Kaslo was a logging and mining centre long before any roads existed in the region. It was served, along with several other small towns on Kootehay Lake, by a small fleet of stern paddle wheelers. The SS Moyie was one of the last to sail the local lakes and has been preserved and restored as a museum on the Kaslo waterfront. If you're interested in old machinery and beautfully crafted boats, it's a must see. The level of detail throughout the ship is astounding.

This view from one of the upper decks gives some hint to the standard that's been achieved throughout this restoration. It really is remarkable.

This view below the passenger decks features some of the steam piping, throttle controls, steam driven dynamo and one of the paddle wheel's actual steam engines in the background (the long yellow bit).

An old brass steam guage. I'm kind of proud of this pic: hand held at 1/4 second. (you try it).

This links to very informative site that details the history of the ship, the region and some of the restoration work: http://www.klhs.bc.ca/

Okay, I'm about 1/3 the way through the pics from this trip and I need a little feedback on what you want.

Do I continue on as before or should I just post pics and talk less? Or should I shut up AND edit more judiciously and just get it over with?

I'm on a dial-up line and this is a ton'o work.

Lemme know what you wanna see. 'Keh?

thanks,
Lornce

Lornce screwed with this post 02-19-2010 at 07:08 PM
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:17 PM   #67
pixellman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Okay, I'm about 1/3 the way through the pics from this trip and I need a little feedback on what you want.

Do I continue on as before or should I just post pics and talk less? Or should I shut up AND edit more judiciously and just get it over with?

thanks,
Lornce
Lornce...
Just do it what you did before..
pixellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:26 PM   #68
jeckyll
Kneedragger

Oddometer: 589
Quote:

thanks,
Lornce
It's your ride report. Make it your own and do what you enjoy :)
(but make sure you keep writing and posting pictures!)

Bjorn

jeckyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:16 AM   #69
Fin
Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:

thanks,
Lornce
Don't change a thing Lornce, your report has been worth waiting for. Or, jump into the 90's and get dsl ya luddite. Really the RR is like the ride, it has it's own pace and there's no need to rush it along.

Cheers

Fin

IBA#12239
BMW MOA #124707
Save $5 when you open your own smugmug account. Use code: ByFAeFySLnQKM
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:38 AM   #70
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 7,410
You should get high speed internet.
We even have it up in the boonies.
RobbieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:32 AM   #71
Indochine
'Bikes are OK, but . . .

Oddometer: 356
"Dial up?" hmmm, "dial up?". I'll have to ask grandpa what that means. He'll know. Hey gramps . . .
Oh rrrreeeeeaaaalllly.

This should be finished by February.

Anyway, what Fin says! Besides, anything good is worth waiting for. And this is good. So, as you were.
Indochine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:33 AM   #72
Kbrick
..the last open road...

Oddometer: 136
keep it up

You have a nice pace goin' here.

Like your trip and your machine follow your own way... to me thats what all this ADv stuff is about. Some go faster some more sublime, some very far afield some in their own back yard...

I personally like your balance between photos and prose...you have travelled an area I would like to visit some day. For me the more info and pics the better.

Like the poster, Papayolk you have a good eye for whats around you.

"...like the philosopher Jagger once said, 'You can't always get what you want.'
Dr. G. House
Kbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:55 AM   #73
pitbull
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,441
Don't change a thing Lawrence......your pics are really, really fantastic and your narrative is a perfect match.
pitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:15 AM   #74
Mountain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Great pics, great report, don't go changin...
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:40 AM   #75
nelgallan
oilfield trash

Oddometer: 1,609

“There are three things in life that people like to stare at: a flowing stream, a crackling fire, and a Zamboni clearing the ice.”

http://nelgallan.smugmug.com/
nelgallan is offline   Reply With Quote