Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2007, 06:29 PM   #76
OffRoadCruiser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
That is Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
Back at the rally I met this fascinating fellow who'd built himself an ultralite aircraft powered by an R100 mill. The reduction drive was of his own design, too. This was a really nice piece of engineering. Had two wings he used depending on his flying opps. High and low speed. Very nicely sorted from what I saw. He offered me a ride if I looked him up in the fall. If I can get in touch with him I'm going to take him up on it! Anyone know who he is? I forgot to get his contact info!
Adrian is a good friend of our family, right now he is building another log home in the 'wilderness' north of Napanee and does not have internet access. I sent you a PM.

Adrian and his wife did a RTW on a /2 many years ago, many writeups in Cycle Canada; South America, Australia, India, Pakistan etc.

He has built about 50 houses so far for a living, builds and flies Ultra-lights for fun, has made many trips to Mexico, the latest was Jan 2007 with my younger brother for month in the Copper Canyon.

He has also built a 40' GMC (Greyhound) bus into a camper that he lives in with his family while finishing the latest log home.

Quite a character and well worth visiting, bring a case but we are all getting older so there will be some left by morning when you finish swapping stories.

Carl
OffRoadCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:31 PM   #77
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB

Oddometer: 554
Thumb Been great!

Lemme know what you wanna see. 'Keh?

thanks,
Lornce[/QUOTE]

Been excellent so far and you don't have to do it all in an evening. Just take it a bit at a time. Kinda like riding an R50 across the country. Were patient! Pictures are great but I'm thinking we might miss the insightful observations?

Cheers Steve

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
SteverinoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:02 PM   #78
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Keep on truckin' you're doin' great

I love all the "detail" and landscape shots as well, great stuff!

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:08 PM   #79
kootenay kid
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 2,614
Its your show, do what you want. This has been fantastic so far. Glad you enjoyed the West Kootenays!
kootenay kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:53 AM   #80
hairsmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Lornce, I lurk hear a lot and most times have little to say. But I have enjoyed your ride report so much I had to step out of the wood work.
I also see that most of the readers posting are in Canada, I just hope that is not all that are reading this. If so the rest of the world is missing a great report and adventure story.
I hope some day to get the time to ride a BMW through Canada. It would be even better if it were an airhead.
Thanks for sharing, Looking forward to more. Its your story you tell it however you like.
Hairsmith
hairsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:47 AM   #81
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,882
Hokay, before you read anything else, go read:

"Detroit to San Diego, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Negligence"

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265019

Is that the wittiest moto-writing you've ever read, or what? I love this guy, he's hilarious. Wise and hilarious equals witty.

Fisrt off, I guess I better take some cues from a guy who knows what he's doing. Guys who know what their doing don't seem to use emoticons. Wow, now I'm embarrassed. Are they really grating to you prose purists?

Too bad.

Here's a pic I took along the road between Kaslo and New Denver. For those of you who've never been, 31A between Kaslo and New Denver is maybe the nicest biking road in the province. Great pavement full of fun corners and spectacular views. With the R50 you mostly just get to enjoy the views. Although, in it's stripped-down-light-traveling-day-jaunt mode (see pic) it's a pretty fine sporting tool. Not quite a sporting weapon, but a fairly handy sporting tool. I think I even passed a station wagon along here somewhere. On a down hill stretch.

Oh yeah, reason I took this pic, apart from being a pretty mountain lake... Around dusk there were so many trout jumping to hit flies and bugs the surface of this lake looked like it was raining. I'm not exaggerating. A light sprinkle, but rain. It was non-stop. I'd never seen anything like it before. You could actually take up fishing in B.C because you like to eat fish, not just because you were looking for another excuse to drink beer. It would be entirely possilbe to travel on your bike with a frying pan and a fishing rod and no food and you'd eat pretty good.

This guy gets his picture on the thread just because we don't have a lot of these in Hamilton.

One of the great things about traveling in B.C. is the network of gravel roads going everywhere there's trees to be had easily. There's even gravel roads going where it's damn tough to get the trees. Like here. Not sure if it's obvious how steep the grade is on this cut road, but it was an awesome way to climb to a good vantage point for a look around the valley.

Roads like this can carry you just about wherever you want to go just about anywhere in the province. Which is pretty handy if you don't have time to walk there.

No need to carry a water bottle around here. Crystal clear, cold creeks and rivers are everywhere. I kept a cup handy in my tank bag and didn't get beaver-fever even once.

This is the next day. As some of you noticed, I'm no longer traveling on an empty bike. I packed up my gear and sadly left Toad Rock with a promise to return. Matias is still on India time and sleeps til mid afternoon so I didn't get a chance to say goodbye or take his picture. I was going to take my old rear tire to the dump but it would have required back tracking a few miles and finding it... and dealing with dump bears on a motorcycle. So I decided to take Steve up on his original offer to simply leave it with the rest of the refuse and he'd take care of it for me. Thanks Steve. I owe you a cold beer.

This pic was taken along an old rail bed from the 19th century (i think?) Kalso-Slocan Railway that's been turned into a rail trail. Would be excellent riding on a dualsport bike with something a little knobblier than a Kenda Challenger street tire and too much gear. Lots of mud and water, but beautiful scenery. Those are waterfalls in the left of the picture.

Some of the views along the rail trail.

Note to self: Next time don't leave packing until the last 45minutes before blast-off and forget the tripod.

This was a small river entering the lake near Nakusp. Can you spot the kokanee salmon? There's at least five that are easy to see. Eight are clearly visible in the full rez versioon.

Getting close to the Okanagan Valley and time for a self portrait. I know I'm not the only guy who likes to see himself go by on storefront windows when passing through small towns that still have storefront windows.

This wasn't a small town, this was just a closed down cafe near the entrance to the Kettle Creek Forest access road. I wanted to take that road down to Westbridge, but by this point I didn't have enough gas to make it all the way, so I pressed on towards the modern urban sprawl and strip malls that the Okanagan Valley has become.

In Penticton I visited an old buddy of mine from high school days and his brother. They were very hospitable and Penticton is a great little town in a fabulous location. It was just like being in Southern California: the weather, the topography even the plants and wildlife (ponderosa pines, sage brush, cactus, rattle snakes, scorpions and black widow spiders!) I loved it in Penticton. Everybody I met seemed happy and friendly. I think it's the weather that does it to them.

While there I visited an interesting native interpretive centre called the E`Nowkin Centre. Some of the artwork was quite moving. Like this study in contrasts:

This is entitled "Mother Nature".

This is the contrasting companion piece entitled "Polution" by Helen Richardson.

My buddy Steve and the E'Nowkin Centre's very lovely curator.

Lornce screwed with this post 02-19-2010 at 08:20 PM
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:42 PM   #82
kootenay kid
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 2,614
Great friendly ladies in Penticton too! Heres a gal we met just having breakfast. I,m the guy on the right. Can,t remember her name but a great moment anyways
Attached Images

kootenay kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:01 PM   #83
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,526
Damm Lornce.... it's bake from the badweb, if I hadda known you were headed this way I would have got you to drop by for beers and a ride.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:04 PM   #84
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Bake,

Thought of you while we were in Revelstoke, even saw a Buell CityX crossing the Columbia River bridge. I rode up from Toad Rock to see the Revelstoke Dam, but it was raining pretty hard so we just grabbed some groceries and beat feet back to Shelter Bay and caught the ferry. Next time!

cheers,
Lornce

Lornce screwed with this post 03-09-2009 at 01:07 PM
Old 09-19-2007, 11:24 PM   #85
jeckyll
Kneedragger

Oddometer: 589
The Kaslo - New Denver run is sportbike nirvana. I was lucky enough to get to do it twice this summer.

Awesome!

Can't wait for the next installment!

Bjorn

jeckyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:35 AM   #86
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Over the years the Queen has recieved some interesting mail from the area.

Lornce screwed with this post 03-09-2009 at 01:19 PM
Old 09-20-2007, 08:37 AM   #87
Viking
Ækt trønder!!

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeckyll
The Kaslo - New Denver run is sportbike nirvana. I was lucky enough to get to do it twice this summer.

Awesome!

Can't wait for the next installment!

Bjorn

There is another Bjorn?
Bjorn
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:43 AM   #88
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

I think Queen Elizabeth must read her mail fairly carefully.

B.C. just appointed Canada's first member of a First Nation to the position of Lt. Governor (the Queen's official representative in provincial political affairs).

One more view from the E'Nowkin Centre, then we'll get back to goofing off on bikes...

Lornce screwed with this post 02-19-2010 at 08:44 PM
Old 09-20-2007, 06:33 PM   #89
jeckyll
Kneedragger

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking
There is another Bjorn?
Bjorn
No.

Your are unique on the planet...

jeckyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:15 PM   #90
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Lots of great dirt roads and fantastic mountain scenery all through the Okanagan Valley.

The moon over Penticton.

Riding into the hills above Penticton reminded me of riding in the Malibu Hills of California. I'm not joking, it's almost exactly the same. The roads, the scenery... the WEATHER!

It can ruin a guy...

Overlooking Lake Okanagan.

That's Summerland on the far side, Naramata on the near shore and Penticton way down at the bottom of the lake.

This does not suck.

My old buddy, Steve took me hiking in the hills north of Naramata on the east side of Lake Okanagan. I told him I wanted to see rattle snakes, so we hiked up and down the sunny side of the hills, scree slopes and rail bed fill piles looking and listening for rattlers. We didn't see or hear anything except the clicking of grasshopper wings as they flew, which at first sounded like it could have been rattler rattling. But it wasn't.

We did see the biggest pile of bear doo-doo I've ever seen, though. It was HUGE. I don't know why I didn't think to take a picture and show it to all my friends. I'm usually pretty good about photographing things like piles of bear doo-doo. I must have been too distracted thinking about the possibility of running into a huge doo-doo makin bear.

Spared becoming bear-devres, we had a great hike in a spectacular locale. Heading east we climbed for several hundred feet above the road where we'd left Steve's truck before picking up the Kettle Valley Rail Trail. The views up and down the valley were beautiful, with a glistening Lake Oganagan as the centre piece.

Oh yeah, and this sign says you can use motor vehicles on the trail if you keep the speed down (perfect for the R50/5) which gave me an idea for later in the evening...

This was the ugliest view in the whole Okanagan Valley.

It was strange for a guy from Southern Ontario to be riding along this rail trail enjoying all this spectacular scenery and realising I wasn't breaking any laws. You see, it's impossible to have this much fun on a motorcycle in Ontario without braking at least three laws.

Ontario has a lot of Presbyterian "issues" it's still dealing with.

B.C. rocks.

Lornce screwed with this post 02-19-2010 at 08:49 PM