Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2007, 09:05 PM   #91
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
The moon over Penticton.

Riding into the hills above Penticton reminded me of riding in the Malibu Hills of California. I'm not joking, it's almost exactly the same. The roads, the scenery... the WEATHER!

It can ruin a guy...

Moon shot- top notch, Lornce.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:07 PM   #92
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,892
I even made a motorcycle shadow puppet.

Actually, I made a couple of motorcycle shadow puppets.

Which one do you like best?

Thanks Stage. Glad you llike it. That was a gorgeous evening.

Lornce screwed with this post 02-19-2010 at 08:50 PM
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:19 PM   #93
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,786
i like the first better.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:23 PM   #94
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Me too, but I like the mirror in the second one.

Here's a view from a tunnel on the Kettle Valley rail trail.

Leaving Penticton via the climb up Apex Mountain to the west of town and the Nickle Plate Road on the far side of Apex will eventually lead you to this descent to Hwy#3 and the town of Hedley.

Quite a sight. Quite a ride.

Another incredible view from the same spot.

Lornce screwed with this post 02-19-2010 at 08:51 PM
Old 09-23-2007, 10:31 PM   #95
Ronyx
Mo shile togam suas

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Once I regained my composure (Lawdy, that was funny!) I mounted the unladed R-Five-O and headed off towards the historic town of Kaslo. Wow, without gear and bags aboard the thing felt right sporty. It's all relative, eh?

Kaslo was a logging and mining centre long before any roads existed in the region. It was served, along with several other small towns on Kootehay Lake, by a small fleet of stern paddle wheelers. The SS Moyie was one of the last to sail the local lakes and has been preserved and restored as a museum on the Kaslo waterfront. If you're interested in old machinery and beautfully crafted boats, it's a must see. The level of detail throughout the ship is astounding.
My Mom and Dad Honeymooned on the SS Moyie when it was still plying the lake. A great piece of history.
Ronyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:07 PM   #96
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,813
Bravo!
I did a similar ride when I was 19 from waterloo ontario to vancouver.

Keep it coming and don't change a thing! Very much enjoying your prose along with the photography

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:46 AM   #97
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Following Hwy8 west from Lower Nicola I was a little surprised to find myself still in such an arid region. We're only a few mountain ranges and a couple of hundred kilometers from the Pacific Ocean at this point.

Here's another view of the same arid river valley.

Not far from here while negotiating a bend in the road I thought I saw a bear looking at me from a tree. What the f...? I pulled over looped back and sure enough, there was a black bear in a tree trying to get to a bee hive hanging at the far end of one of the lower branches. This bear was a little too big for the tree and it swayed wildly as he moved across the branches circus style with his forepaws on a higher branch and his hind paws on a lower branch. I didn't have time to grab my camera before he noticed me watching him. He didn't look at me for long before he turned and jumped out of the tree and ambled off into the bush along the river.

Quite a sight.

If you're anywhere near Spences Bridge in the Thompson River valley around lunch time, you can't do any better than a stop at the Inn of Spences Bridge. What a great spot to eat. It's probably a nice place to stay, too. Staff was friendly, hospitable and very keen to answer questions about the region.

Lunch was great with a delicious quiche served with fresh greens and a veggie chilie with coarse whole grain toast and terrific fresh roasted coffee. It easily ranked as one of the finest meals of the trip.

for the Inn of Spences Bridge.

The outside patio certainly added to the enjoyment of the place. Nice gardens and a view of the Thompson River and some resident ospreys.

That's an osprey nest at the top of those striped poles. Can't see it in this low rez view, but one of the ospreys is sitting on the lower cross member eating a fish. The owner of the inn loaned me a pair of very fine binoculars to watch the birds while I enjoyed coffee after lunch. He was a fount of fascinating information about the birds and their habbits.

A very enjoyable and memorable lunch stop.

See? They have posers in B.C. too.

Lornce screwed with this post 02-19-2010 at 08:52 PM
Old 09-24-2007, 04:31 PM   #98
pixellman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
I give up. I'll try loading pictures later. Maybe.
No later..no maybe
Keep going Lorence
Best regards
Adam
pixellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:49 PM   #99
Mountain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
I must have driven through Spences Bridge at least a hundred times over the last twenty years. Never had the inkling to actually drive into the town but based on the pic and recommendation, I will next time!
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:09 PM   #100
awebbfire
Stuck in the Seventies

Oddometer: 14
awesome report

Thanks for a great report...
awebbfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:33 PM   #101
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

You won't regret it, Mountain. The food is excellent and the owner's a very personable fellow who clearly loves what he's doing. Wish I lived closer, I'd patronise the place often. I'm guessing he has a loyal clientelle.

A little south of Spences Bridge in the Thompson River valley brings you to the town of Lytton and the confluence of the Thompson and Fraser Rivers. That's the Thompson on the left and the silty Fraser on the right.

The ride from Lytton to Lillooet was interesting with dramatic river valley views and fresh rock slide action across some of the highway. We don't get a lot of that around Hamilton.

Beyond Lillooet the ride to Whistler was pretty spectacular but it was raining cold cats and dogs and I was racing the daylight to get to Whistler before dark. Dramatic changes in vegitation as we entered the coastal region. Everything became lush quite rapidly.

Wood decked bridges along this stretch hold your attention and keep things interesting.

Lornce screwed with this post 02-19-2010 at 08:53 PM
Old 09-24-2007, 07:27 PM   #102
pixellman
Adventurer

Sorry Lornce for pushing you
But i tried to do some inducement to you
I know how hard is to send some pix by dial
DO NOT GIVE UP!!!
yours report is very interesting for me
Next year one of my goal is the part of Canada and Alaska
Anyway ..I think i will have to meet you in person
to give me some advice for the part of road
Best regards
Adam

pixellman screwed with this post 09-24-2007 at 09:34 PM
Old 09-24-2007, 09:01 PM   #103
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Met a friend from Ontario who'd shipped his bike to Vancouver, flown out and ridden to his brother's place in Whistler. We'd loosely planned to ride back east together. Next morning we rode down to Horseshoe Bay to catch a ferry to Nanaimo on Vancouver Island. I managed to get on the front of the ship while he had a more difficult time and ended up at the rear of the ship. Long story short, we missed each other when the ship emptied out in Nanaimo and never saw each other again.

The best layed plans of mice and men...

As the ferry pulls out of Horseshoe Bay the clouds begin to break up across the Straight of Georgia towards Vancouver Island. The smell of the salt air really is exhilarating. The sea's a dramatic addition to the landscape. I can understand it's powerful draw upon those who've lived near it and then move away from it. Some day I think I'd like to live upon it for a time.

There's something exciting about sailing on ships. There is for me, anyway. Like flying, I don't think it'd ever get routine.

I still pinch myself everytime I ride a good motorcycle.

The full rez version of this is my latest screen background. It's going to have to get me through the coming winter months.

I stare at this and I can still smell the salt wind.

The original growth trees in Cathedral Grove will make you feel like a Liliputian.

While crossing the island towards Ucluelet and Tofino will make you glad you brought the bike.

Lornce screwed with this post 02-19-2010 at 08:58 PM
Old 09-24-2007, 09:50 PM   #104
pixellman
Adventurer

WOW what a view Lorence
Right now i know why you wont's to live there
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2007, 10:07 PM   #105
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

You can't find a bad view on the west coast, Adam. It's beautiful.

Like Long Beach on the west coast of Vacnouver Island.

Those logs were left there by the surf which is 200 meters off. February Pacific storms must be a thing to see.

Lornce screwed with this post 05-03-2009 at 04:17 PM