User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
trturnerfamily OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
LEO types and speeding

Let's hear from some LEO's about when they turn on the bubble-gum machine, hit the siren, and pull you over for speeding. Is there a formula? What do you allow? 10MPH over? 15? Do you go for for reckless riders? Riders who are endangering others? How about the "quota" for tickets that we have all heard of? Does it exist? Is the age of the rider a factor? Gender?

A LEO buddy of mine says he gives 10-15 on a highway. 'Bout 10 or so on local roads. After that, you get a good lookin' over and maybe pulled over.

I know, I know, different Leo's and different departments - Staties, Locals, County Leos, don't all follow the same guidelines. But what do our ADV LEO's do?

Sloooo-movin' Rick
trturnerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:18 PM   #2
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,002
No good will come of this.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
HiDesertFox
Defensor Pacis

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by trturnerfamily
Let's hear from some LEO's about when they turn on the bubble-gum machine, hit the siren, and pull you over for speeding. Is there a formula? What do you allow? 10MPH over? 15? Do you go for for reckless riders? Riders who are endangering others? How about the "quota" for tickets that we have all heard of? Does it exist? Is the age of the rider a factor? Gender?

A LEO buddy of mine says he gives 10-15 on a highway. 'Bout 10 or so on local roads. After that, you get a good lookin' over and maybe pulled over.

I know, I know, different Leo's and different departments - Staties, Locals, County Leos, don't all follow the same guidelines. But what do our ADV LEO's do?

Sloooo-movin' Rick
Hello Rick!

Excellent question. As you mentioned in your last sentence, "I know, I know, different Leo's and different departments - Staties, Locals, County Leos, don't all follow the same guidelines," is a true statement and yet a frustrating one to the motoring public. Especially those that travel for a living in various regions. It would be nice if all of LE were on the same page. However, as a general rule, I'd say that most LE agencies use the 10 MPH over the posted speed as the area they start looking at someone. I have in some cases given 15 MPH grace, depending upon the roadway and conditions.

Regards

Train Hard, Fight Easy!

HiDesertFox screwed with this post 09-08-2007 at 08:30 PM
HiDesertFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:02 PM   #4
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402
well...getting a ticket has a lot to do with if you're a dick to the officer or not.

most people write their own tickets.

abe

"If you want me to forgive and forget about it, stop reminding me about it."
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:25 PM   #5
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,000
I was really nice today and the kid still wrote me a ticket. And it was only nine over. Well, that's the way it goes, you speed, you get a ticket. Eventually.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:09 PM   #6
mikerd400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
I was really nice today and the kid still wrote me a ticket. And it was only nine over. Well, that's the way it goes, you speed, you get a ticket. Eventually.
Younger Officers are more likely to give a ticket. New to the job and take it pretty seriously. (at least where I work).

On the freeways, I generally give 15 mph, depending on traffic conditions. On freeways, if I have a speeder and a tailgater, I always go for the tailgater. On highways and city streets, I give 10 mph. Don't be the one to stick out. If you're over the speed limit, don't tailgate the vehicle ahead. Avoid lane changes which help you stick out. Let the other speeders stick out by being on the unsafe vehicle.

Also, pay attention to the news/paper. If you notice that there is an increase in collisions, and fatalities, you will see an increase in enforcement. Watch your speed where alot of collisions occur.
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
Proud to be Riff Raff 2011!

Riff Raff 07, 08, 09, and 10!
mikerd400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:31 AM   #7
ClayLR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Don't be the one to stick out
Yeah - I always try to keep a rabbit to the front and left of me. When I lose him, I fall back and look for a new rabbit.
ClayLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:49 AM   #8
OldBMWMaster
Banned

Oddometer: 4,185
I love rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayLR
Yeah - I always try to keep a rabbit to the front and left of me. When I lose him, I fall back and look for a new rabbit.
Being in the radar shadow of a large truck is good too.

It is easy to find a shadow on the bike. I also find I get less attention in the work truck than I do in my personal SUV.

I am guessing LEO give working stiffs a break.
OldBMWMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:07 AM   #9
Ninja Geoff
It's okay, I'm a Ninja

Oddometer: 139
One of my roomates old friends is a LEO. I asked him what he goes by and said 10mph was the limit, and that if the person was rude he'd hit them with anything he could. Younger cop, i think he was 23 when i talked to him about it. That was ~2 yrs ago.

I find that driving a truck on the same route every day so they see you a lot and acknowledging the office on the side of the road or coming at you by safely and rapidly lowering your speed to the limit have saved me from a couple of 15 overs in the next town over. And that was in a 40 mph zone and a 45. The first time (in the 40) i had a car in front and two behind. The officer didnt pull out at all because we all slowed. The second time i could see his hand making the slow down motion as he was driving at me. Simple wave, nod, and brake and he kept going.

And admiting it was stupid to speed and apologizing gets you out of a wreckless driving and impounding of your bike and possible arrest for doubling the speed limit at 3 am. Just the monetary fine.
Wish I had a dualsport
Ninja Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:47 AM   #10
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,537
In Atlanta....
10 over on surface streets
20 over on the highway
And that statement before was true.....most people talk themselves into a ticket.
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:52 AM   #11
repo
no mans land

Oddometer: 1,372
Me and 2 others were riding home on interstate through NC last year....doing 15 (at least) over the limit...in construction zone (none-working).
We were in second lane.

I look in right mirror the two others had drifted wayyyy back from me. WTF?

I hear a siren chirp and look left....only to be eye level w/ unmarked SUV.

He waves me to slow down (which I did).

Then he proceeded to pull over the car in front of me.
repo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:20 AM   #12
JoMoThumper
Los Bombero Caliente

Oddometer: 260
The Lowdown

It has been over 10 years since I wrote a traffic ticket but here were my guidelines.
The 10 mph guideline is pretty universal. 15+ is a definite stop. For us 20+ was a potential trip to jail.
Have your ducks in a row. Insurance, check. Registration, check. All your lights working, inspection, kids in a seat, seatbelted (if in a cage), check. Don't give them a smorgasboard to pick from once pulled over.
Being cordial and no BS helps. Don't have to kiss *ss, that's annoying. As previously stated, don't be a d*ck. It also helped if you had a good driving record.
Again, don't stick out. That means no tailgating, changing lanes w/out signaling, cutting folks off, putting on makeup, reading a book, etc...
If a specific request has been made to patrol for speeders in a particular area things get a bit tougher. Taxpayers expect results and Johnny Law usually delivers on that.
As far as quotas go here is how it worked for us. Every month each officer had his/her total citations put onto a spreadsheet into different categories. For example: speeding, traffic control device (stop signs/lights), insurance/registration/inspection, faulty equipment, no seatbelt/unrestrained child, reckless driving and so forth. They did the same for criminal offenses, warrants and you get the idea. The average per officer was then calculated. If you were below that average your name and total was highlighted for that month. Below average 2 months in a row in the same category then the Sgt. spoke to you about it. 3 months in a row it was written and now officially on your permanent record. I never heard of anyone below below the line for more than 2 months. It's just too easy to increase your numbers for citations.

"That one doesn't look like it would break down so much Daddy."
My 5 year old son every time he sees someone else's bike

Ride Safe, Ride Well, Ride Long and remember...
Everyone Goes Home.

JoMoThumper
aka reeveo
JoMoThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:45 AM   #13
Gizmo
Hermes

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsr
well...getting a ticket has a lot to do with if you're a dick to the officer or not.

most people write their own tickets.

abe
Tell that to the last 2 officer's that gave me tickets. I have alway's been polite, cordial and considerate whenever stopped. For example, I alway's take off my helmet and when asked for my license and registration, I inform the officer where it is before I reach for it. But, without a doubt, you are correct that if you are a bonified jerk, asshole etc. you write your own ticket. It is an individual and luck thing.

Bruce
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul
09' BMW K1200 LT
IBA # 8547
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:53 AM   #14
Gizmo
Hermes

Oddometer: 1,668
Again, don't stick out. That means no tailgating, changing lanes w/out signaling, cutting folks off, putting on makeup, reading a book, etc...

Interesting... on three separate occassions (twice on motorcycle and once in a cage) I was cut-off to the point of having to break hard, in front of an officer's who did not bother to stop the offenders. These experiences have left me to believe, that the police are mostly interested in going after speeders.

Bruce
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul
09' BMW K1200 LT
IBA # 8547
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:47 PM   #15
Laughingdawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
What I'd like to know is how some of the state troopers here in VA justify to themselves the way that they'll do 25-30 over to get back to their speed trap spot to be ready for another person doing 10 over. There are a couple down here that I wish had a "you drive like a jackass" sensor on their car that automatically invalidated any tickets they gave out while the sensor was activated.
Laughingdawg is offline   Reply With Quote