ClayLR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostryder
In Atlanta....
20 over on the highway
You dare drive a mere 20 over on the beltline in atlanta?? Brave man
10 over seems to be reasonable safe unless you're alone here. The irony is 15 will get your license yanked, automatically. (Assuming it hasn't been reduced below 15 by the time the judge drops the hammer.) Not a lot of margin.
ClayLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:58 PM   #17
E-man
4-4-09, 12-6-09, 1-13-10

Oddometer: 9,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54
No good will come of this.
Nope, I dont think SoCal Rob and the other guy from the other threads want me to respond

FUCK EM...

I generally give 15-20 over yeah. that much in my town. There are sooo many cars doing 10-15 over and the magistrate will just toss them for less than 15. If someone is tailgating AND 15 over or no turn signals and 15 over, thats good to go.

As far as that QUOTA system......

If I give out 5 more cites tomorrow, I get a new MICROWAVE and a small color t.v.
E.O.W. 12-06-09 Officer Crawshaw
E.O.W. 10-12-11 Derek Kotecki
E-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:29 PM   #18
fallzboater
Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingdawg
What I'd like to know is how some of the state troopers here in VA justify to themselves the way that they'll do 25-30 over to get back to their speed trap spot to be ready for another person doing 10 over.
Because they can write more tickets that way, which will obviously increase public safety. Duh!

-David
fallzboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:33 PM   #19
Motor31
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,941
It's been over 10 years since I was a LEO on street duty. I was a municipal Motor Officer. We didn't have a set limit as to where we would write a ticket for speeding. My own personal standards were pretty lenient. I gave 10 MPH on city streets, I regularly wrote for 12 to 15 over because for the most part that was almost 1.5 times the limit. The exception was for school zones, I held that 5 mph over got stopped. Kids were too vulnerable to give much slack. According to the statutes, 21 MPH over the limit was a criminal citation vs the normal civil one. I often wrote for a lower speed to allow the person to go to the traffic school and drop the points from their license.

What has been posted is true about attitude. You will not give any reason for the Officer to give you a break by being an ass. It never ceased to amaze me the number of folks who thought I was going to give them a break because they called me names, threatened me or my family or raised their voice. I didn't "try" the case there on the street, that's what the court was for. I didn't mind going to court as I was selective about writing tickets so I didn't have a shakey case. In addition, the court building was airconditioned in the summer and heated in the winter, better than my bike was.

I have cut some folks loose (an amazing thing for a Motor) when they convinced me they were an adult who just made a mistake. Those were the folks who said something along the lines of "yup, I did it and I'm sorry." I already had all the justification I needed for the ticket when I made the stop so I didn't need admissions from the driver.

As far as a quota was concerned, we didn't really have one. The supervisors knew we had other things to do besides just write tickets. Time was monitored to the minute on your log. Our first duty was collision investigation, traffic enforcement was secondary. In addition we were the riot squad, rapid response squad, backup to uniform for heavy calls and any other thing that needed to be done that the regular units couldn't handle. If we weren't otherwise busy we were expected to be doing some kind of traffic enforcement. In that case one traffic contact (warning or ticket) per hour was expected. Given the lousy driving the average person displayed that wasn't hard to comply with. In some cases all you had to do was just write the ones who you had a near miss with. Speeding wasn't everything, there were red lights and all kinds of other things being done.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:49 PM   #20
Hammer
Hawlin' aZZ

Oddometer: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMoThumper
It also helped if you had a good driving record.
Back up a minnit....
Am I understanding you correctly that you can review a driver's record right from the patrol car?
Cuz that could really suck for those with cites.
How far back can be seen?
I'm much better lately! Really!

'06 525 XC "Sledge"
'04 KTM 950 Adventure Thunder
Enough yappin'! Let's ride!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:15 PM   #21
trturnerfamily OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Some good has come from this.

Rick
trturnerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:42 PM   #22
JoMoThumper
Los Bombero Caliente

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer
Back up a minnit....
Am I understanding you correctly that you can review a driver's record right from the patrol car?
Cuz that could really suck for those with cites.
How far back can be seen?
I'm much better lately! Really!
Absolutely. Ever wonder what that uncomfortable delay is when Johnny 5.0 is behind you and you know you've been busted? He has already called in a traffic stop, given the location, vehicle description and the tag # to dispatch. From that he gets the registration info (is it current and does it match the vehicle, is it stolen?), he can also run a warrant check and driving history on the registered owner (who is most likely driving). Now, usually, most LEOs will wait to request a driving history and criminal history check until the driver has been positively identified. This is the uncomfortable wait after he has walked back to his patrol unit. Some departments will do all of this thru dispatch, many these days have the ability to do all of that via wireless from a computer in the patrol unit. And the records go back as far as needed, across state lines and everything.

"That one doesn't look like it would break down so much Daddy."
My 5 year old son every time he sees someone else's bike

Ride Safe, Ride Well, Ride Long and remember...
Everyone Goes Home.

JoMoThumper
aka reeveo
JoMoThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:57 PM   #23
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by trturnerfamily
Some good has come from this.

Rick
Agree. Its not about the summons but maintaining the kaos to a minimum.

Its about the right attitude on the road and not just after being stopped.

I always ask, "how would you feel if someone knocked on your door and informed you that a loved (mother, sister, brother, son, daughter, dad) was killed by a motorists that commited the same violation as you just did" the answer is always the same "you right officer, that was stupid or careless of me".

Everyone is allowed to be an asshole once in a while but immagine if we all woke up one day and decided to be assholes on the same day.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:28 PM   #24
Kbetts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
Could you officers explain why you pull over motorcycles in traffic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Hey, this is ADVrider, where facts are not real important.
Kbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:03 PM   #25
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,341
Imagine my disapointment when I realized this thread is not about LEO's speeding around town

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:04 PM   #26
GeoDiablo
compulsive troublemaker

Oddometer: 2,828
yeah, yeah, speeding tickets… slow down already. What's the most lucrative type of illegal activity combined with the lowest probability of becoming incarcerated ? ? Nothing violent please… that's distasteful.

ahh… fuck it. I'll just keep the damn job.
GeoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:33 PM   #27
Six Chin Skinny
'00 SVRat rider

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerd400
On freeways, if I have a speeder and a tailgater, I always go for the tailgater.

Wish there were more around like you...
Six Chin Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:35 PM   #28
JoMoThumper
Los Bombero Caliente

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbetts
Could you officers explain why you pull over motorcycles in traffic?
I maybe pulled over 5 or 6 in my career and had a couple that got away. I was in a college town but there weren't all that many bikes. In my limited experience, where I was at, young riders were very likely to either not have a MC endorsement (guys borrowing their buddy's scoot) or did not have insurance. I was guilty of just that when I was in college. All of my stops were pulled over for speeding. Young riders are likely to be a target rich subject. I would imagine that most ADV type folks have their stuff together. Some fellas maybe pull over bikes because they think all riders are like those retards that do wheelies and go fast all the time. Some perhaps out of envy. Who knows. But I would expect that 99 times out of 100 there is a legitimate reason.

"That one doesn't look like it would break down so much Daddy."
My 5 year old son every time he sees someone else's bike

Ride Safe, Ride Well, Ride Long and remember...
Everyone Goes Home.

JoMoThumper
aka reeveo
JoMoThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:17 PM   #29
Hammer
Hawlin' aZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMoThumper
And the records go back as far as needed, across state lines and everything.
40 years back?
Are aquittals listed?
This could be interestin' ....

'06 525 XC "Sledge"
Old 08-30-2007, 07:21 PM   #30
Hammer
Hawlin' aZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoDiablo
yeah, yeah, speeding tickets… slow down already. What's the most lucrative type of illegal activity combined with the lowest probability of becoming incarcerated ? ? Nothing violent please… that's distasteful.

ahh… fuck it. I'll just keep the damn job.
That might be computer crime, cause when the big corporation that you hack catches you, they give you a $$$ bling job for your efforts.
No violence, unless you hack computer games- they're nasty!

'06 525 XC "Sledge"