Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2007, 08:02 AM   #46
JoMoThumper
Los Bombero Caliente

Oddometer: 260
Pick up the phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpa2
Very interesting info, JoMo. As I often end up not opening my mail and later misplacing it thoroughly, I can't tell for sure what I got from that court. I guess it was only a notification of "guilty" since I didn't go to court nor did I send the affidavit defense as intended, and a request to pay the fine. The last thing I got was a standard letter from that state's DMV saying that my license is suspended until I pay the fine (but my license is not from that state, so I don't know what that means). They also said that the license can be reinstated after 5 years even without paying the court fee.

You're also saying that courts can work out some deal. Of course I'd rather pay than risk arrest, but I would rather they worked out a deal where I won't pay that insane amount (their system is absurd enough that I saw a judge reduce all tickets by the same percentage without any request from offenders).
Get the number, call the court and see what they have to say. It's worth taking care of it so that it doesn't hang over your head. What if pass through that state or a neighboring one that would extradite have a minor fender bender or get pulled over? You'll have no choice but to pay the piper at that point. Let us know what they say.

"That one doesn't look like it would break down so much Daddy."
My 5 year old son every time he sees someone else's bike

Ride Safe, Ride Well, Ride Long and remember...
Everyone Goes Home.

JoMoThumper
aka reeveo
JoMoThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:22 AM   #47
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,543
Not to mention that if your state is a part of the "Compact States" (and it probably is) your license WILL be suspended for non-payment of an out of state ticket.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:28 AM   #48
cheff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
This explains why for years I got away only with warnings. The moment I got the first ticket (in lovely Ohio) all stops after that resulted in a ticket. Also I'm wondering if an unpaid ticket out of state (no court) will actually show as such. Given that I was stopped about two months ago here in town, my guess is that it probably doesn't.
Oh they show up, in my younger days, I got arrested in Elko county, just before I got to Jackpot Nevada and crossed in to Idaho. I had several unpaid tickets in Cali, and he said "Well son I could let you go, but you have so many unpaid tickets I know you are never going to show to court. So I am going to drive 140 miles back to the county jail where you can pay your bail or wait for your court date"

And off we went 140 miles back to Elko county Jail, and my truck 200 miles the other way to Wells where the impound was.

Ah to be older and wiser
'04 XR650 Sold 30K miles
cheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:58 AM   #49
Motor31
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,943
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbetts
Could you officers explain why you pull over motorcycles in traffic?
Very simple. Motorcyclists commit moving violations just like cagers do. Why should you be exempt just because you drive 2 wheels instead of 4?

It's the same violation, speeding, stop sign, red light, no or expired license plate, unsafe lane change, whatever. It mattered not a bit to me how many wheels you drove, what concerned me was how you drove them. Yes I also wrote tickets for bicycles too. We would invariably get complaints from folks near the University about bicycles running stop signs, riding on the sidewalk, running pedestrians off of the sidewalk, blowing through school zones with kids in the crosswalk. One of our fatalities was from a bicyclist hitting a pedestrian. The pedestrian died crossing the road when the bicyclist ran the stop sign and hit him in the cross walk. If we got a complaint about any kind of traffic problem we had to go look at it and handle it if there was a problem.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:29 AM   #50
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
I think what someone said before is true about "writing your own ticket."

First rule is to not stick out or be going that much faster than surrounding traffic to make them look at you.

Second rule is to to be smarter than the other suckers/marks on the road and let some other fool get pulled over instead of you.

Third rule is to be polite and talk to them like a human being and never EVER let them suspect that if you could get away with it you'd have them in a shallow grave and be riding off into the sunset. Don't kiss up to their authority and don't throw them attitude. Your interaction with them isn't going to change the world or their way of thinking anymore than a silly ticket is going to change the way you feel about driving/speeding.

It's all a game. Them against you. I've not been issued a ticket in over 10 years and I don't drive like a grandma. Over half the time you can just talk your way out of it like a good serf and they let you go. When they don't -well that's just the price of living in a police state. It could be much worse, no concentration camps yet...

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:58 AM   #51
sherpa2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Yes, but there are some differences. As far as I know, it's not the best idea to ride at exactly the speed of traffic. If you ride a bit faster and change lanes, the cagers are more likely to notice you. If you wave in your lane, a left-turning cage or one merging from the right are likely to notice you more than if you just ride straight ahead. And as I already mentioned in another post, a rolling stop on a bike may save your life when a cage is coming up fast from behind. If a cager gets rear ended at a stop sign, that's too bad. On a bike, you may as well have your will in a bank vault. I did not disregard the law when I did a slow rolling stop (checked the traffic, absolutely none--it was a one way) while a car was approaching fast behind me on a Saturday night. I knew that in that situation only I was in danger, nobody else. I would assume that a cop on a bike in the same situation (drivers returning from bars) could have done the same. But I got stopped.
Lanes splitting also is illegal in all but Cali. But it seems that it's safer to lane-split than sit in bumper to bumper traffic and be rear-ended.

On the other hand, I agree that motorcycles and bicycles can be just as guilty of unsafe riding. If you crash and kill somebody, who cares whether you drive an SUV or ride a bicycle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor31
Very simple. Motorcyclists commit moving violations just like cagers do. Why should you be exempt just because you drive 2 wheels instead of 4?

It's the same violation, speeding, stop sign, red light, no or expired license plate, unsafe lane change, whatever. It mattered not a bit to me how many wheels you drove, what concerned me was how you drove them. Yes I also wrote tickets for bicycles too. We would invariably get complaints from folks near the University about bicycles running stop signs, riding on the sidewalk, running pedestrians off of the sidewalk, blowing through school zones with kids in the crosswalk. One of our fatalities was from a bicyclist hitting a pedestrian. The pedestrian died crossing the road when the bicyclist ran the stop sign and hit him in the cross walk. If we got a complaint about any kind of traffic problem we had to go look at it and handle it if there was a problem.
sherpa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:09 PM   #52
motorfiveo
The sound resounds

Oddometer: 2,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBMWMaster
Being in the radar shadow of a large truck is good too.
Yea, and get a CB radio too.
Most radars nowdays use DSP and have "fastest vehicle" mode to tell the strongest signal (truck) as well as the fastest signal (small mc flying in "shadow" of truck). Of course, laser is still the mode of choice for me.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:10 PM   #53
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Quote:
Yes, but there are some differences. As far as I know, it's not the best idea to ride at exactly the speed of traffic. If you ride a bit faster and change lanes, the cagers are more likely to notice you. If you wave in your lane, a left-turning cage or one merging from the right are likely to notice you more than if you just ride straight ahead. And as I already mentioned in another post, a rolling stop on a bike may save your life when a cage is coming up fast from behind. If a cager gets rear ended at a stop sign, that's too bad. On a bike, you may as well have your will in a bank vault. I did not disregard the law when I did a slow rolling stop (checked the traffic, absolutely none--it was a one way) while a car was approaching fast behind me on a Saturday night. I knew that in that situation only I was in danger, nobody else. I would assume that a cop on a bike in the same situation (drivers returning from bars) could have done the same. But I got stopped.
Lanes splitting also is illegal in all but Cali. But it seems that it's safer to lane-split than sit in bumper to bumper traffic and be rear-ended.
Traffic enforcement has nothing to do with safety. Even the cops know this deep down but if they admitted it to themselves they might not be able to sleep at night.

It's a game. The hunters and the herd. Don't stick out of the herd and get the wolf at your throat. If you do get picked off, play dead and maybe he'll get bored of you and go for some fresher meat.

It is as simple as that.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:29 PM   #54
motorfiveo
The sound resounds

It depends on the situation.........
In light to moderate traffic on freeway 10-15mph.
Residential areas 5-10.
School zones 2-5.
Residential areas where complaints are in force. +5
I don't believe in "stacking" offenses. As long as your decent to me, I will usually write for the non-moving unless ur fly'n.(does not apply to suspended/unlicensed drivers).
Also keep in mind, I usually give bikes a bigger threshold, and give CMV's a smaller threshold. I will also give less of a threshold if you have a "colorful" drivers license, or a detector.
BTW, the police can tell if you take defensive driving, so its not like a cop can't tell that you have had some tickets.
If you attempt to slow down (oops), it looks better than just trucking by at speed.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:29 PM   #55
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
Traffic enforcement has nothing to do with safety.
So you really believe this and it has nothing to do with cop envy or inferiority complex. I hear the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny are looking for you for a play date. Sad little fellow you are!

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:29 PM   #56
CRIPES7
5 kids?!! What, no TV?!!

Oddometer: 37
It was the denial that always made me write someone a ticket. Using LASER or RADAR to verify the speed, jackasses doing 15-20 over would say, "I wasn't speeding". Sign here....
CRIPES7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:30 PM   #57
motorfiveo
The sound resounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
Traffic enforcement has nothing to do with safety.
Ok then, run all the redlights/stopsigns, and drive 100mph in school zones, MR Safety.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:31 PM   #58
motorfiveo
The sound resounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIPES7
It was the denial that always made me write someone a ticket. Using LASER or RADAR to verify the speed, jackasses doing 15-20 over would say, "I wasn't speeding". Sign here....
1+
Old 08-31-2007, 12:33 PM   #59
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbetts
Could you officers explain why you pull over motorcycles in traffic?
You probably on a german made expensive machinery, screaming status and money to burn or pay summons with.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:46 PM   #60
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorfiveo
Ok then, run all the redlights/stopsigns, and drive 100mph in school zones, MR Safety.
Nah, I'll just do some burnouts on some little kids after raping some nuns and race off at 500MPH through the school-zone.