Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2007, 12:47 PM   #61
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402
My dad gets tickets every time he gets pulled over...because he's "always right." he always trys to justify his actions to the officer at the time of the stop...seatbelt, illegal left turn, dumb stuff that you can easily get let go for by NOT contradicting the officer.

but, he's rich and educated...so he'll never see the correlation between his arguments and his tickets...he'll continue to think he's getting picked on. i suppose if you can afford it...ignorance ain't so bad????

i get let go all the time because i don't contradict the officer...but i'll go to court and duke it out if i ever do get the ticket. so far the ones i've gotten have never had the officer show. [fingers crossed.]

"i'm sorry" is the best phrase to open up the dialogue.

abe

"If you want me to forgive and forget about it, stop reminding me about it."
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:52 PM   #62
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
I'm Sorry

It's one of those words that seems to work better the less you mean it -especially with cops.

You say, "I'm Sorry!"

They say, "Drive carefully and have a NICE day."

It's all just a bunch of lies and nobody means it. Sometimes in life we have to maintain the illusions of the script and don't ask why. It just works.

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:53 PM   #63
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMoThumper
Absolutely. Ever wonder what that uncomfortable delay is when Johnny 5.0 is behind you and you know you've been busted? He has already called in a traffic stop, given the location, vehicle description and the tag # to dispatch. From that he gets the registration info (is it current and does it match the vehicle, is it stolen?), he can also run a warrant check and driving history on the registered owner (who is most likely driving). Now, usually, most LEOs will wait to request a driving history and criminal history check until the driver has been positively identified. This is the uncomfortable wait after he has walked back to his patrol unit. Some departments will do all of this thru dispatch, many these days have the ability to do all of that via wireless from a computer in the patrol unit. And the records go back as far as needed, across state lines and everything.
I thought this was illegal (in California anyway - not the search but using prior record to assume guilt). I used to get a lot of speeding tickets in my younger days - I'm older and wiser now - and if I thought a young cop was making a judgement based on behavior from ten years ago, I'm going to be a very unhappy citizen.
JNRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:59 PM   #64
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer
Back up a minnit....
Am I understanding you correctly that you can review a driver's record right from the patrol car?
Cuz that could really suck for those with cites.
How far back can be seen?
I'm much better lately! Really!

Ellwood: I'll bet these guys have SCMODS.
Jake: SCMODS?
Ellwood: State...County...Municipal...Offender...Data...Sys tem. SCMODS.

If you think I won't understand it just because you have to explain it to me, maybe it was bullshit to begin with.
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:01 PM   #65
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMo
if I thought a young cop was making a judgement based on behavior from ten years ago, I'm going to be a very unhappy citizen.
Cops do this every day. They go back to their car and run your plates and your license. Listen to a police scanner someday and pay attention to routine stops and see what goes on. Unless the system is computerized the dispatcher does everything and radios it back. If there are priors and such they read them right off. They then make their decisions about whether to ticket you on "how good a boy" they think you are.

This country NEEDS more unhappy citizens.

It wasn't settled nor founded by the well-behaved...

Old 08-31-2007, 01:07 PM   #66
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
Cops do this every day. They go back to their car and run your plates and your license. Listen to a police scanner someday and pay attention to routine stops and see what goes on. Unless the system is computerized the dispatcher does everything and radios it back. If there are priors and such they read them right off. They then make their decisions about whether to ticket you on "how good a boy" they think you are.

It wasn't settled nor founded by the well-behaved...
I don't have a problem with them checking the legality of my vehicle, my license or any outstanding warrants. What I object to is the possibility that a ticket from years ago that's been dealt with might influence the officer's value judgement about me.

Its illegal for insurance companies to take into account citations three years or older when setting rates. If a ticket isn't current, I see no reason that a traffic cop needs to know about it.
JNRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:11 PM   #67
motorfiveo
The sound resounds

Oddometer: 2,839
Quote:
What I object to is the possibility that a ticket from years ago that's been dealt with might influence the officer's value judgement about me.
If it happened 10 years ago, you have nothing to worry about. If your record shows tickets and then NO tickets, I would say it shows you have become compliant. Most of the cops out there nowdays had a few tickets themselves 10 years ago.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:13 PM   #68
motorfiveo
The sound resounds

Oddometer: 2,839
Quote:
Bitching and moaning on the net gets things done.
How many times have you written you legislature, or even been to a legislative session to support your stance. If you don't take part in the system, you have NOTHING to bitch about.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:15 PM   #69
CRIPES7
5 kids?!! What, no TV?!!

Oddometer: 37
Tru Dat, Brother.
CRIPES7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:16 PM   #70
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Working within the system

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorfiveo
If you don't take part in the system, you have NOTHING to bitch about.
Tell that one to Spartacus!

Old 08-31-2007, 01:25 PM   #71
CRIPES7
5 kids?!! What, no TV?!!

Oddometer: 37
I wrote Spartacus a ticket. Attitude!
CRIPES7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:28 PM   #72
sherpa2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Traffic enforcement has nothing to do with safety. Even the cops know this deep down but if they admitted it to themselves they might not be able to sleep at night.
Sadly, I know that's the case (though I guess they sleep very well at night). Sure there may be some fortunate exceptions--see MeefZa in an earlier post. If traffic enforcement was about safety, cops would drive inconspicuous vehicles in traffic and stop vehicles or send the violation info for every dangerous lane change, no turn signals, slowing down/weaving while dialing a number, stopping too close behind a motorcycle, tailgating, bad noisy brakes, dripping any liquid or scattering junk on the road, parking too far from the curb, etc... Instead, it is much easier to enforce speeding simply because it can be measured. That's probably why van-driving soccer moms have a better driving record than the best motorcyclists. You can't use radar or lidar to catch them turning their head to talk to their kids on the back seat while they're giving orders to their hubbies what time to come back home. If traffic enforcement was about safety, why would three patrol cars hide in the dark in a tiny rural town on a weekday late after midnight to catch somebody doing 45 on a 25 main street with absolutely no traffic? Or on an empty interstate in the middle of nowhere?
sherpa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:33 PM   #73
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpa2
Sadly, I know that's the case (though I guess they sleep very well at night).
In the next life Karma will prevail. There is no bullshitting Karma!

Old 08-31-2007, 01:39 PM   #74
sherpa2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIPES7
It was the denial that always made me write someone a ticket. Using LASER or RADAR to verify the speed, jackasses doing 15-20 over would say, "I wasn't speeding". Sign here....
Is someone speeding 15-20 over a jackass? Then it must be a lot of them around... on an average day from LA to SD on 5, probably all of them...

Also, if anybody plans to go to court, saying I'm sorry is acknowledging guilt. Game over.
sherpa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:44 PM   #75
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
I thought this was illegal (in California anyway - not the search but using prior record to assume guilt). I used to get a lot of speeding tickets in my younger days - I'm older and wiser now - and if I thought a young cop was making a judgement based on behavior from ten years ago, I'm going to be a very unhappy citizen.

The cop is not using the prior record to assume guilt. He is charging you based on the probable cause of him witnessing the violation. He may look at your past record to decide whether a verbal warning will effectively gain your voluntary compliance with the traffic laws of your state. If he thinks you are less likely to comply in the future, through your record or your statements/attitude during the stop, then he will issue you a summons.

He is not doing a complete driving history, just what the DMV maintains. Depending upon the tickets in your past, they may be off your record. Here a speeding ticket will stay for 3-4 years, but reckless stays for 11 years.
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote