Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2007, 02:44 PM   #76
sherpa2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsr
My dad gets tickets every time he gets pulled over...because he's "always right." he always trys to justify his actions to the officer at the time of the stop...seatbelt, illegal left turn, dumb stuff that you can easily get let go for by NOT contradicting the officer.

but, he's rich and educated...so he'll never see the correlation between his arguments and his tickets...he'll continue to think he's getting picked on. i suppose if you can afford it...ignorance ain't so bad????

i get let go all the time because i don't contradict the officer...but i'll go to court and duke it out if i ever do get the ticket. so far the ones i've gotten have never had the officer show. [fingers crossed.]

"i'm sorry" is the best phrase to open up the dialogue.

abe
I'll try this next time, though I'm skeptical. As an expanded version of this, I was told by some wimin that they cried themselves out of a ticket more than once.
sherpa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:57 PM   #77
BeachBusker
R.I.P. George

Oddometer: 639
Thanks for the Input LEO's

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorfiveo
It depends on the situation.........

If you attempt to slow down (oops), it looks better than just trucking by at speed.
No traffic: You betcha

Heavy traffic: Talk about accordian effect. I'll risk the cite before I'll risk getting rear-ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorfiveo
If you don't take part in the system, you have NOTHING to bitch about.
What goes arround, comes arround. Civil servants never get fired, they get even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
It's all a game. Them against you......Over half the time you can just talk your way out of it like a good serf and they let you go. When they don't -well that's just the price of living in a police state. It could be much worse, no concentration camps yet...
You got that right, Guantanamo was a close call
Old 08-31-2007, 02:57 PM   #78
CRIPES7
5 kids?!! What, no TV?!!

Oddometer: 37
some men too!
CRIPES7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:58 PM   #79
CRIPES7
5 kids?!! What, no TV?!!

Oddometer: 37
hunt & peck makes me slowww.
CRIPES7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:01 PM   #80
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Gadget
The cop is not using the prior record to assume guilt. He is charging you based on the probable cause of him witnessing the violation.
hopefully officers aren't using the PC standard when writing tickets. the level of proof shoud be "in fact comitted", a higher standard than probable cause.
just sayin.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:24 PM   #81
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,828
Once again...No Clue and even from a L.E.O. !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerd400
Younger Officers are more likely to give a ticket. New to the job and take it pretty seriously. (at least where I work).

On the freeways, I generally give 15 mph, depending on traffic conditions. On freeways, if I have a speeder and a tailgater, I always go for the tailgater. On highways and city streets, I give 10 mph. Don't be the one to stick out. If you're over the speed limit, don't tailgate the vehicle ahead. Avoid lane changes which help you stick out. Let the other speeders stick out by being on the unsafe vehicle.

Also, pay attention to the news/paper. If you notice that there is an increase in collisions, and fatalities, you will see an increase in enforcement. Watch your speed where alot of collisions occur.
I CAN NOT believe that a LEO would say "Avoid lane changes which help you stick out..." Why don't you TICKET SLOW MOVING TRAFFIC IN THE #1 LANE?!
In every country in Europe, the #1 (fast lane) is for passing only; Dumb asses here just drive in the #1 'cause they cannot understand the concept of moving over for faster moving traffic.
Here is a LEO (CHP?) telling you to avoid lane changing...The motorists crusing along in the #1 lane not paying attention to traffic around them are the cause of accidents and road rage IMO.
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:50 PM   #82
JoMoThumper
Los Bombero Caliente

Oddometer: 260
Don't knee jerk

I would imagine the lane changes he mentioned are the type that involve weaving in and out, usually not giving a signal, while running up on folks rearend and then plling back right in front of them. I don't think a normal, routine lane change would attract any attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankgs
I CAN NOT believe that a LEO would say "Avoid lane changes which help you stick out..." Why don't you TICKET SLOW MOVING TRAFFIC IN THE #1 LANE?!
In every country in Europe, the #1 (fast lane) is for passing only; Dumb asses here just drive in the #1 'cause they cannot understand the concept of moving over for faster moving traffic.
Here is a LEO (CHP?) telling you to avoid lane changing...The motorists crusing along in the #1 lane not paying attention to traffic around them are the cause of accidents and road rage IMO.

"That one doesn't look like it would break down so much Daddy."
My 5 year old son every time he sees someone else's bike

Ride Safe, Ride Well, Ride Long and remember...
Everyone Goes Home.

JoMoThumper
aka reeveo
JoMoThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:47 PM   #83
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy
hopefully officers aren't using the PC standard when writing tickets. the level of proof shoud be "in fact comitted", a higher standard than probable cause.
just sayin.
am agrees.

abe

"If you want me to forgive and forget about it, stop reminding me about it."
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:35 PM   #84
motorfiveo
The sound resounds

Oddometer: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy
just sayin.
PC- That which would lead a reasonable person to belive a crime has or is taking place. Stopping a violator requires less proof, only Reasonable Suspicion. To arrest, you need PC.
Any further proof, and the police would not be able to arrest anyone.
Don't blame me, I didn't write the constitution.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:52 PM   #85
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMoThumper
I would imagine the lane changes he mentioned are the type that involve weaving in and out, usually not giving a signal, while running up on folks rearend and then plling back right in front of them. I don't think a normal, routine lane change would attract any attention.
Imagine all you want...I am talking reality on the highways and freeways here in CA. If it takes "weaving in and out" to get around "folks" who have no situational driving awareness so be it.... I don't feel safe being in a tightly congested "pack" of cars with 3/4 of the drivers on their cell phones just because some "folks" are clogging the passing lane.
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:54 PM   #86
JoMoThumper
Los Bombero Caliente

Oddometer: 260
So given that situation your solution is to weave in and out of traffic to a space less congested? I am asking a question and not just trying to be a jerk. Where I live is completely different and nothing like what I have seen in and around LA (and not on a bike at that). And I don't get on interstates or really anything over 60 mph on my bike. I guess what I'm curious about is if the risk of weaving in and out and perhaps having to speed to find a better spot is worth the risk?

Quote:
Imagine all you want...I am talking reality on the highways and freeways here in CA. If it takes "weaving in and out" to get around "folks" who have no situational driving awareness so be it.... I don't feel safe being in a tightly congested "pack" of cars with 3/4 of the drivers on their cell phones just because some "folks" are clogging the passing lane.

"That one doesn't look like it would break down so much Daddy."
My 5 year old son every time he sees someone else's bike

Ride Safe, Ride Well, Ride Long and remember...
Everyone Goes Home.

JoMoThumper
aka reeveo
JoMoThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:27 AM   #87
mikerd400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
Quote:
The USA is different from Europe. If some one is in lane #1 (called the fast lane by some) at the speed limit. I cannot pull them over. They are not breaking the law. Therefore, no probable cause to stop. It is unlawful for me to stop them. There is no way for me to detain someone if they did not break the law. If they are under the speed limit, I do pull them over.

My point in avoiding lane changes, was weaving in and out of traffic. If traffic is at a constant speed, say 10 mph over the limit, and you are 10 mph faster than traffic (20 over the limit) and weaving in and out of 2 lanes. You will stick out. There is nothing wrong with passing a slow moving vehicle, and having to change lanes to do so. It is passing every other vehicle as well, and having to keep changing lanes to do so.

I am going to court on an upcoming case. I had a fast car in the fast lane. (4 lane freeway). That car was at 92 mph. I had a vehicle at 82 mph, weaing in and out of lanes #3 and #4 (slow lane). Other than 92 mph, the car in the fast lane did nothing else. The car weaving in and out of vehicles was tailgating and changing lanes at the smallest gap he could get through. I cited him because he was the unsafe vehicle.

I would love for the USA to have an Autobahn style of freeway. However, the majority of US drivers are dumb and would screw it up.
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
Proud to be Riff Raff 2011!

Riff Raff 07, 08, 09, and 10!
mikerd400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:33 AM   #88
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerd400
The USA is different from Europe. If some one is in lane #1 (called the fast lane by some) at the speed limit. I cannot pull them over. They are not breaking the law. Therefore, no probable cause to stop. It is unlawful for me to stop them. There is no way for me to detain someone if they did not break the law. If they are under the speed limit, I do pull them over.
Oh please. You can pull anybody over for anything you want. I've been pulled over because the tail lights in my truck weren't red enough. I've been pulled over because my tail lights weren't working. They were working when I stepped to the back of the vehicle but the officer said they weren't when he pulled me over. I guess they healed themselves huh?
I've been pulled over because my front door windows appeared to be tinted. Stock windows and when the officer put his meter on them they were fine but he had to pull me over to check.

There's some ideas for I'm sure you can come up with more if you use your imagination.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:45 AM   #89
Hammer
Hawlin' aZZ

Oddometer: 2,299
It's curious to me how different/broad the interpretation or application of similar laws might be in different areas, to wit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerd400
The USA is different from Europe. If some one is in lane #1 (called the fast lane by some) at the speed limit. I cannot pull them over. They are not breaking the law. Therefore, no probable cause to stop. It is unlawful for me to stop them.
A friend was cited for driving in the #1 lane at the speed limit, but not moving right, as there was room to move right. I agree, he should move right, but if there's no traffic on the freeway (maybe a strange concept to Californians, but still happens here) is a citation needed? No one was impeded.

One of my big beefs with the way cites are written is that there seems to be no parity at all in who's written and who's not. In a broad sense, if the law is not equally applied to all, it will be generally disrespected.
Just so I say it and no one gets the idea this has been pointed at anyone specific it is not pointed at Mikerd400, nor any other LEO out there reading. It is what you see- a general statement of opinion.

'06 525 XC "Sledge"
'04 KTM 950 Adventure Thunder
Enough yappin'! Let's ride!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:15 AM   #90
Chromer
Not going gentle

Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer
It's curious to me how different/broad the interpretation or application of similar laws might be in different areas, to wit:

A friend was cited for driving in the #1 lane at the speed limit, but not moving right, as there was room to move right. I agree, he should move right, but if there's no traffic on the freeway (maybe a strange concept to Californians, but still happens here) is a citation needed? No one was impeded.
Depends on the state. Here's the relevant section of code from my state (Maine):
Quote:
6. Ways with speed limit of 65 miles per hour. An operator driving on a limited-access way with a speed limit of 65 miles per hour is restricted in ordinary operation to the right-hand lane and may use adjacent lanes for overtaking and passing another vehicle, but must return to the right-hand lane at the earliest opportunity. This requirement does not apply to an authorized emergency vehicle, or to a vehicle otherwise directed by posted signs, a law enforcement officer or a highway maintenance crew.[1993, c. 683, Pt. A, §2 (new); Pt. B, §5 (aff).]

I've never heard of anyone actually being cited, but it could happen...
Chromer is offline   Reply With Quote