User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2007, 04:22 PM   #256
twistydave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Wicked wow

Wow, thats pretty cool. With my 28.5 inseam might be handy for me too. I bet you could set up the trypod thing to come down at a certain speed. ONe less thing to think about. How about those bikes with 2 wheels on the front. They lean just like other bikes. I saw some in England that had a roof and trunk like thing for grocerys or maybe a wheel chair? The roof might be good for a pully system to raise it and swing it to the back.
twistydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:13 PM   #257
funklab OP
high plains drifter

Oddometer: 319
yeah, I've been looking around, and the hardest part would seem to be figuring out how to go backwards. At some point I am going to need too, no matter how careful I am. The only bike that I've heard of with a reverse gear is a Ural and a Goldwing. Neither of which are very high on my list.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262651
funklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:39 PM   #258
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by funklab

Maybe my rig wont ever get me to south america... but maybe it will...

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:53 PM   #259
twistydave
Studly Adventurer

reverse

Yea that reverse thing could be an issue. I Googled "three wheel motorcycles" and a bunch came up. Remember the one we saw at Deals Gap? I think it was the T-Rex but it is more car than motorcycle. I haven't found the ones I saw in England but sure it is out there somewhere. The more I think about it I saw one that had those small wheels on the side that come up when you start moving kind of like that guy with the sport bike.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:09 PM   #260
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer: 3,974
Quote:
yeah, I've been looking around, and the hardest part would seem to be figuring out how to go backwards. At some point I am going to need too, no matter how careful I am. The only bike that I've heard of with a reverse gear is a Ural and a Goldwing. Neither of which are very high on my list.
check out the Bombardier Spyder. I think it has reverse....
JAFO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:49 AM   #261
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistydave
I think it was the T-Rex but it is more car than motorcycle.
Yeah, T-Rexes are cool and they're registered as motorcycles, but they're driven like cars. They're more like an Ariel Atom than a motorcycle. And they cost about as much as an Ariel Atom too.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:51 AM   #262
daddysbike
Athens, GA

Oddometer: 22
Josh,

Like all the others I'm stunned, shocked, and amazed.
I'm 45 and ride street bikes now but I grew up riding dirt/trallies and really miss it. I come to advrider on a regular basis to get my fill until maybe someday I can ride off road again. I came upon your ride report during a slow day at work yesterday and was absolutely stunned by the abrupt ending. Halfway through the report I said to myself this guy is amazing and sent links to rider friends of mine and other forums I frequent. Your stamina, guts, ability, humor had me hooked from the start. I am still amazed after your accident by your response, proof that you will do well no matter the outcome. It is obvious you have great parents, I appreciate that they take the time and considertation to keep this group informed of you progress after this jolt to their world, I hope I do as well raising my 3yr old boy and 5 yr old girl.
I went to dinner last night with my wife/kids/in-laws and could not get your story out of my head (I still can't). I shared it with them and you are in our prayers.
Its not what happens to you in life but what you do with it and I know you will continue to amaze people like me.

Take care and be well,

Steve
daddysbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:15 AM   #263
mhpr262
Summer is coming

Oddometer: 3,160
Hi funklab, I´ve just found your new motorcycle

Best wishes, heal quickly. One day you´ll be in the saddle again!

P.S. This thing can actually lean, but the mechanism is lockable at low speeds so you don´t have to put your foot down at stops and traffic lights.

mhpr262 screwed with this post 11-17-2007 at 11:23 AM
mhpr262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:15 PM   #264
funklab OP
high plains drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddysbike
Josh,

Like all the others I'm stunned, shocked, and amazed.
I'm 45 and ride street bikes now but I grew up riding dirt/trallies and really miss it. I come to advrider on a regular basis to get my fill until maybe someday I can ride off road again. I came upon your ride report during a slow day at work yesterday and was absolutely stunned by the abrupt ending. Halfway through the report I said to myself this guy is amazing and sent links to rider friends of mine and other forums I frequent. Your stamina, guts, ability, humor had me hooked from the start. I am still amazed after your accident by your response, proof that you will do well no matter the outcome. It is obvious you have great parents, I appreciate that they take the time and considertation to keep this group informed of you progress after this jolt to their world, I hope I do as well raising my 3yr old boy and 5 yr old girl.
I went to dinner last night with my wife/kids/in-laws and could not get your story out of my head (I still can't). I shared it with them and you are in our prayers.
Its not what happens to you in life but what you do with it and I know you will continue to amaze people like me.

Take care and be well,

Steve
My trip wasnt anything special. Anybody with the time and money can do what I did. The hard parts I missed since I was going to go to Mexico the day after I had my little fall.

Well I went out riding because I had nothing better to do and wanted to see some stuff and learn some things. It turns out that I am going to be seeing and learning a lot about spinal cord injuries, not what I planned, but I've never been too big on planning.

Dont let my story get you down. Shit happens, things change, you gotta roll with the punches.

josh

Old 11-19-2007, 06:56 AM   #265
Mad*Sparrow
NoMadic Wanderer

Oddometer: 180
Sorry to hear the trip has been postponed

Just read your RR and I pray you'll still get your trip soon. You know, it's been about 20 years but I remember seeing a 350cc or 450cc wheelchair that would do 60mph. It even had a license plate on it. Man! that trike that mhpr262 posted is really cool! Just don't give up on your dreams. When we first start out on a quest our initial image always differs from the completion. But the differences make it no less satisfying; in fact, they usually make them much more memorable.

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Mad*Sparrow screwed with this post 11-19-2007 at 07:10 AM
Mad*Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:28 PM   #266
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer: 3,974

16 grand

nuff said
JAFO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:57 AM   #267
jfremder
BeemerPhile

Oddometer: 104
Dood - you're amazing

Quote:
Dont let my story get you down. Shit happens, things change, you gotta roll with the punches.

josh
Josh-

I read this thread in it's entirety today. It was linked weeks ago from the sport-touring.net website, not mentioning anything other than some cool pics and a great ride report.

I was shocked to read what happened. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I can't tell you how proud of yourself you should be. Not only for undertaking a great adventure, but to handle this misfortune with the attitude and perseverance you have shown so far is fantastic. I wish you a long, healthy and adventure filled life.
jfremder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:39 PM   #268
funklab OP
high plains drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO

16 grand

nuff said
man, do you know how quickly that would get stolen in mexico. Not to mention Guatemala or Bolivia. If i get a bike, it has to be like all of my bikes... cheap and raggedy.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #269
NomadRip
Always a n00b

Oddometer: 3,364
Quote:
man, do you know how quickly that would get stolen in mexico. Not to mention Guatemala or Bolivia. If i get a bike, it has to be like all of my bikes... cheap and raggedy.
Let me borrow it for a week or two...I will make sure it's "cheap and raggedy" by the time you get it back

Click to save $5 when you sign up for a SmugMug account! Or sign up with this coupon code: QzxDJzcJstR4A
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:42 PM   #270
twistydave
Studly Adventurer

hey

get in line man haha