Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #346
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,050
I read about this guy a long time ago...a sidecar with all the controls moved to the sidecar. I can't remember his name.

I've seen a few Goldwings set up this way.

Here's one manufacturer.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:28 AM   #347
funklab OP
high plains drifter

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteeanne
Any bike with hand shifter, brakes and sidecar would be better
bringing the rear brake to the handlebars shouldnt be a big deal. And if you check the youtube video a few posts back, the guy did the shifter too, but idk about his rig. If it busts in the middle of nowhere I guess I might be sol, but then thats where the adventure thing starts right?

one thing the urals do have which is necessary is a reverse gear. Thats the hardest thing, finding a bike that wont break apart riding down rough roads that still has a reverse gear... although Mr. Scotto did do it on a Goldwing didnt he.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262651
funklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:21 AM   #348
L1gunman
Abner Snopes

Oddometer: 10,037
Dauntless motors on the west coast has built a wheelchair rig using a Moto Guzzi Convert as a base. edit-looks like they also figured a way to put a reverse on it. I think you should give them a call

heres a link to the dauntless project

http://www.dauntlessmotors.com/Sidec...ir-guzzi-1.htm
L1gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:29 AM   #349
L1gunman
Abner Snopes

Oddometer: 10,037
and a craigslist posting that i just saw- opposite side of the country, but it shows the bikes are still available

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/mcy/547941317.html
L1gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:57 AM   #350
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531
Aren't most reverse "gears" simply run off the starter, but a Ural is an honest to goodness real gear?

During the summer I ran into this guy, he had linked brakes and clutch on the right, suicide shift and throttle on the left. Was a pretty slick rig.

Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:35 PM   #351
twistydave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Sandblast

Hey Josh

Sandblast is coming up Feb 9th. I've finally talked myself out of racing in it. The 300+ hundred dollar entry fee plus extras makes for a lot of non racing time on the bike. I'm still going to watch and will be driving the cage if you want me to give you a ride? I think it is only an hour or so from Charlotte. Looks like your making progress on your new bike
twistydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:46 PM   #352
twistydave
Studly Adventurer

just updated myself on your post. I have contacts in Costa. His ranch is really rual but way chill with beach and mountains. You would probable need all wheel drive in the wet season. I saw some mod for a front wheel supplemental drive you may want to look into.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #353
raindog
dharma bum

Oddometer: 16,993

just sayin.
raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:02 AM   #354
DaleB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by funklab
Dont let my story get you down. Shit happens, things change, you gotta roll with the punches.

josh
Amen, Bro.

It ain't easy, but you're dealin'. Prayers and $ on the way. You're gonna need both! Hard to swallow, but true. Avg. cost for SCI is ~$20k per year on co-pays, DME, equipment, etc. It's not even funny. It costs me ~$700 a month just to go pee. Freakin' crazy. Not tryin' to put the fear of God into you, just laying it out as I have experienced it.

I was in your neck of the woods just a few weekends ago (wheelchair basketball tournament, something I've come to LOVE! It's a HOOT!)...wish I woulda been paying enough attention to have known about your story and been able to stop by to say "hey".

Here's my new scoots: http://daleb.smugmug.com/gallery/4256614#249204943

The one with the knobbies is as close to a new GS as I'll be getting anytime soon.

And about that - riding again - please be VERY careful. This tissue on your ass, while not able to feel, can still be damaged to the point it will kill you. Seriously. The risk of pressure ulcers (caused by the lack of tone in your ass muscles and your sit bones (ischial tubrosicties) slowly pushing through the tissues and eventually breaking through the skin. I know more than one death caused by this due to bouncing up and down on a motorcycle seat or a horse saddle or a quad. Talk to your PT/OT about pressure ulcers and get your head around it before getting on ANYTHING! PLEASE! Even a quad. Not trying to bum you out, bro, just spreading the word. (This is what killed Christopher Reeve - and he was just sitting in a wheelchair - not bouncing on anything. He got a pressure ulcer, it got infected, and within 48hrs from is care provider noticing it he was dead. Scary and bummy shite.)

Ok...enough of that BS. Keep your head on straight! You are doing well thus far and have a great perspective. It only gets easier.

Also - check out http://sci.rutgers.edu/ - simply the BEST online SCI resource/community. It's like the AdvRider for crips. Tons of forums from politics, gear, cures, care, rehab, to pain management ,etc, etc, etc. It's moderated by the doctors and nurses and PT's and OT's running the spinal cord injury research projects at Rutgers University, so it is a TOP notch crowd with lots of up to date info living with, rehabing, and curing SCI.

Here's to you

Keep on keepin' on.

---------------
'05 R12GS - in a wad
'04 LemFiddyGS - sold
'84 RM125 - sold
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:31 PM   #355
twistydave
Studly Adventurer

yesss

JOsh

Check it out, the next generation of wheel chairs.
ibotnow.com
Old 02-19-2008, 12:25 PM   #356
funklab OP
high plains drifter

Okay, its about time I threw up the rest of my pictures, I guess I kept you guys waiting long enough. (and I finally found my camera cord so I could upload the pics).

Lets see, where did I leave off.

I think I was headed to River Rat's crib to crash and fix the bike, but before that I rolled thru some shop in escondido and got my clutch replaced. He gave me this cool sticker for the front too (notice the METAL skull Rain dog!)

so I rolled thru River Rats place. He's got a huge garage and a loud ass parrot, didnt take any pics of that, but the parrot was LOUD. We had a few beers that night, and crashed.

The next day we worked on the bike. Needless to say, River Rat knows much much more about motorcycle maintenance than I, and we changed tires, brakes, chain sprockets, spark plug and a few other things I cant remember right now. I had to go back to the shop a couple of times to pick up extra parts we realized that I would need, and the last time he is just like "why dont you take my v-strom" okay sure, I cant believe he would let me ride one of his bikes without having known me for more than 24 hours.

We got the bike all fixed up and went for a ride to the In 'n' out burger joint. Never been to one of them before.

Next day he tells me about some cool places we can ride and a spot where I can camp and see the military drop bombs in the nearby bombing range, cool.

First stop. Ocotillo Wells. No doubt some of you west coast riders recognize this hill. Matt blasted right up it. I didnt make it a quarter of the way up, and I had aired down my tires, Matt didnt need too!

somehow I missed pics of the fun stuff... maybe I was too busy having fun

We got some food and next stop was Glamis. Heres what it looks like. I had never seen anything like this before, so much sand.

Somewhere near that road on the left is where I took my little dive.

So I get a helicopter ride to the hospital (forgot where matts photos of me lying in the sand and where I crashed are, but you guys have probably seen those).

I chill out in the hospital for 5 days on my back... not a helluva lot of fun. Then they cut me open and weld some stuff together. I argue with my insurance company for a few weeks and finally get them to agree to fly me out to Atlanta (Shepherd Center) on November 8th.

My charriot awaits.

it was a quick flight, San Diego area to Atlanta in 3.5 hours. But thats a small small plane, and not a terribly comfortable one.

had to lie on my back the whole way too...

After they got me in the ambulance to ride to Shepherd, we convinced the driver to stop off at CHick fil a so I could get some non-hospital food. We did.

Thanksgiving dinner... at a restaurant...

and I "graduated" this one is me and my therapists.

Had to come back for another week though, so they could "teach" me how to drive with my hands (wait wasnt I doing that for the last 10,000 miles across the US and Canada... I guess they figured if I crashed I must not "really" know how to drive with my hands)

But I did get to see them play quad rugby. Its pretty hardcore, they slam into each other so hard that both chairs will bounce up off of the ground. One of my friends in rehab who had got his spinal cord injury from being shot and was still gunshy said he jumped (well in his chair) when he first heard them slam together.

these photos are taken by my dad, which is why they are all blurry not my fault

Old 02-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #357
funklab OP
high plains drifter

and somewheres along the line, they decided that it wasnt good for this to be sticking through the skin in my back.

so they cut it out... titanium... its all about that power to weight ratio !

Old 02-19-2008, 12:35 PM   #358
repo
no mans land

Oddometer: 1,373
damn dude...more power to ya.

Reminder - I have a weiner. - Ilmostro
repo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:55 PM   #359
raindog
dharma bum

Oddometer: 16,993
raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:39 PM   #360
RiverRat
Endless Chores

Oddometer: 3,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by funklab

Good to hear from you J. So can you keep that doohickey or did you have to give it back?

RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote