Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2008, 06:15 AM   #376
NomadRip
Always a n00b

Oddometer: 3,364
Ah good, I was just digging up old PM's to ask what you been up to. I was wandering through our neighborhood last night and saw a hooptie trike like you were thinking about in my neighbor's yard...I don't think you'd want this one, though...it was pretty cheesy, even for you or me

Click to save $5 when you sign up for a SmugMug account! Or sign up with this coupon code: QzxDJzcJstR4A
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:34 PM   #377
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by funklab
Right now I am thinking about trying to get into medical school. It would take me two years to complete all the premed stuff I would need, and then I would apply for medical school and (assuming I got in) I would have 6 months to a year to kill (sounds like a trip to me!).
Now there's an adventure and a worthy challenge.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #378
sebas
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 40
Hey, fantastic report!! Just started reading the first pages today. Very inspiring and great pics.

edit: I just reached the part where you have the accident I felt really bad and it sucks that you're trip had to end, but I guess the trip still goes on and it's incredible how you've kept pushing on with the positive attitude you've had through all those trials. You're a very strong guy funklab, that fighting spirit of your's is admirable and a lesson for the rest of us. One thing's for sure, I'll remember you and be more damn careful everytime I ride my bike. Sometimes we just don't realise how fragile we are.

Here's a beer to your health and I hope one day you can finish the journey to South America, I'll be waiting for those pics

sebas screwed with this post 06-15-2008 at 04:49 AM
sebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:36 AM   #379
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Still thinkin' of ya, Josh.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #380
cRAsH
Banned

Oddometer: 19,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Still thinkin' of ya, Josh.
Me too, mang.
cRAsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #381
MotoPhotog
Mr Photog

Oddometer: 116
Just read your entire 2 threads Josh. You dont need to hear it again, but what Tim wrote speaks true. My father was in a bad wreck during a race in 1994. He was going through the woods in some woops, and flew off his bike, face first RIGHT into a boulder. He busted through his helmet and broke all his teeth and jaw on both sides. He has major major surgery, went to the best oral surgeon in the state afterward, and a year later...... he had a mouth full of his OWN teeth (metal rods into gums) and he found out he had bad blood pressure and chelestoral at that time...... Its been what... 14 years, and it was the best thing that happened to him in some accounts. He got on a strict diet, worked out, and found even later that the docs said he could have had a heart attack from his condition, but he's in better shape now, at the age of 60, than when he was 48. Just another example of somethign horrible happening, and learning other thigns about yourself, and how you can come through.

On the flip side, he sold everythign. motorhome, dirtbikes, quad, threewheeler, left the moto club as VP, left it all. He rides pedal bikes now, and misses 2 wheels badly. I turned 16 and havent even thought of not riding anymore. I rode street, have raced superbikes, and now am into supermoto and I have a dirtbike. I wish my dad would ride still, so he could ride with me, but he just doesnt want to risk getting hurt. So i guess its always a give and get kinda game.

You havent posted at all, how are things going now?
www.darrenbeattyphotography.com
MotoPhotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:41 PM   #382
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Still thinking of you, Josh. Hope you are well.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #383
salcar
Riding 4 Health

Oddometer: 1,076
Funklab, what is going on? we need to catch up. I'm living in switzerland now. I hope to hear from you soon!!!
All the best,
S.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:03 PM   #384
funklab OP
high plains drifter

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by salcar
Funklab, what is going on? we need to catch up. I'm living in switzerland now. I hope to hear from you soon!!!
All the best,
S.
Switzerland sounds cold, but a lot closer to Africa than Nicaragua! When is the trip planned?!?!?!?

I'm not up to much, still doing the school thing back in Charlotte.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262651
funklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:11 AM   #385
Nemo DeNovo
Banned

Oddometer: 1,782
Hey Bro. Just saw your post in Hacks yesterday asking about hand controls on a VW trike and saw your sig. It led me here and I read your whole story, great pics and story, sorry it didn't have a happy ending. Seems your ride didn't end on that dune tho, just got temporarily detoured. It's encouraging to see you asking about how to set up the trike, does that mean you have one you're working on? I'd be glad to help with advice & parts fabrication. Let me know if you need anything. I want to see the rest of the trip, so you gotta get that trike up and running soon

Good luck
Nemo DeNovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:14 AM   #386
raindog
dharma bum

Oddometer: 16,990
I wanna see it finished as well
raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #387
NomadRip
Always a n00b

Oddometer: 3,364
Me too! You decide on Med School?

Click to save $5 when you sign up for a SmugMug account! Or sign up with this coupon code: QzxDJzcJstR4A
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:15 AM   #388
funklab OP
high plains drifter

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo DeNovo
Hey Bro. Just saw your post in Hacks yesterday asking about hand controls on a VW trike and saw your sig. It led me here and I read your whole story, great pics and story, sorry it didn't have a happy ending. Seems your ride didn't end on that dune tho, just got temporarily detoured. It's encouraging to see you asking about how to set up the trike, does that mean you have one you're working on?
Nope, not yet, it just seems like the most economical setup that might actually get me somewhere. Maybe one day relatively soon I will get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog
I wanna see it finished as well
It will never be "finished", but that doesn't mean it can't start again.

Right now I am hoping to wrangle up the money (student loans?) in Fall 2010 to do a ride Spring and Summer 2011. Man, that sounds so far off......

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRip
Me too! You decide on Med School?

Yep, now I just need med school to decide on me. I am taking the MCAT summer 2010 and applying that summer as well, so hopefully if someone lets me in I will matriculate in August 2011.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262651
funklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:48 AM   #389
raindog
dharma bum

Oddometer: 16,990
good to hear from you! time flies..2011 will be here before you know it.
keep us posted mang! good luck on med school
raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:01 AM   #390
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,356
Glad to see you're still truckin' along funk! All the best!