User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2007, 12:28 PM   #106
TankerYanker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Hang in there!!

The bike you're on is perfect for the journey! I think you might be surprised at some of the sacrifices you would need to make if you were on a big "GS".

As far as sitting around and waiting goes...that can be Hell! Too much time to think. You've done a great job so far just using your wits. Once you get those wheels turning again, everything will fall back into place.

Being apprehensive at this point is probably "normal". It's not everyday someone just jumps on a bike and starts crossing borders and cultures. You almost have 4000 views to your thread. All of those views are from people (like me), sitting in their living room, thinking "that guy has balls!". Some people will never do what you are doing, and others (like me) will be using your info for their next adventure.

Once I get some "responsibilities" resolved, I hope to be in your situation, feeling apprehensive about the next leg of the trip.

Hang in there, funklab!
TankerYanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:12 PM   #107
funklab OP
high plains drifter

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankerYanker
The bike you're on is perfect for the journey! I think you might be surprised at some of the sacrifices you would need to make if you were on a big "GS".

As far as sitting around and waiting goes...that can be Hell! Too much time to think. You've done a great job so far just using your wits. Once you get those wheels turning again, everything will fall back into place.

Being apprehensive at this point is probably "normal". It's not everyday someone just jumps on a bike and starts crossing borders and cultures. You almost have 4000 views to your thread. All of those views are from people (like me), sitting in their living room, thinking "that guy has balls!". Some people will never do what you are doing, and others (like me) will be using your info for their next adventure.

Once I get some "responsibilities" resolved, I hope to be in your situation, feeling apprehensive about the next leg of the trip.

Hang in there, funklab!
Thanks man,

I think lots of people on here who will be looking at my thread will do something like this or longer, if they havent all ready. I know I was reading a whole lot of ride reports when I was getting ready.

I really do appreciate all the positive things you guys say. Thanks for tagging along.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262651
funklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:22 PM   #108
funklab OP
high plains drifter

Day 46 Wednesday October 10

Campground a few miles south of Laguna Beach, CA.

I had breakfast at a sandwich shop before I hopped on the highway. The beef "tri tip" was really good.

I didnt realize how close I was to Neptune's Net, or I woulda waited till I got here to eat.

I stopped anyway and got a bowl of clam chowder. This is kinda special to me, because my friends and I ate here last year when we were in LA. And they got good grub too.

I went on thru LA on the pacific coast highway. I got passed by this GS and as he waved, I realized that I recognized the bike. It was Marbleless's surfboard toting GS (which is for sale by the way), and I recognized it from his ride reports. I chatted with him for a few seconds at a stop light.

Its kinda crazy just running into a fellow ADVer on the road. Pretty cool.

I rode straight thru LA. I really dont like it too much, and stayed on highway 1 the whole time. At first I was a little paranoid about lane splitting, but after 8 or 10 stoplights that I had to wait thru, I got less paranoid. At every light, I would just slide right up the white line to the front of the pack. Nice not to have to wait it line .

I ended up at a state campground for the night, and its right near Camp Pendleton if you know where that is. Not cheap, $25 and you still gotta throw quarters in to the shower, but a pretty decent spot I guess.

I finally made myself a ground cloth out of the painters drop cloth that I had been toting, and set up camp.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:27 PM   #109
funklab OP
high plains drifter

Day 47 Thursday October 11

San Diego, CA

This morning, I accidentally drove onto the military base at Camp Pendleton. The guard seemed amused that I ended up there and pointed me in the right direction.

I had breakfast at Angelos Greek, Mexican, American food restaurant... gotta love that combination.

I ended up going to three different libraries today to use the internet. That's a new record for me.

In a San Diego library, I heard the sonic boom from a plane... it was really really loud. People later told me that the Blue Angels were practicing for an airshow or something.

No photos today, and not much interesting, so I wont bore you much. I had a huge burger at a place called Ricky's, and it made me appreciate the Squeeze Inn burger. Both were very large, but I could actually fit the squeeze burger in my mouth, not so with Ricky's burger.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:34 PM   #110
funklab OP
high plains drifter

Day 48 Escondido, CA

Today was disappointing, but I wasnt frustrated, as I probably would be with a day like this back at home... at least I am on the road.

My parents were sending me a package with UPS (Maps, and guidebooks, etc that I didnt want to haul around the US). Turns out I should have just hauled them around. It was a long process finding all of this out, but it turns out that UPS gave me a bad address to send the package too, and besides that they had lost it in Chula Vista anyway (even though it was "guaranteed" for delivery on Friday). So after several phone calls and some people calling me back and some people not calling me back and actually heading over to the UPS hub after going to an adress that didnt exist, I figured out that no one was going to do anything with it until monday at least.... I hope.

So I drove up to Escondido.

As promised, this is what it looks like underneath my right saddle bag... it doesnt really worry me yet. I will worry when it burns through the bag.

I found the dealer that I had shipped some parts too. They said they couldnt do any work on the bike, so I figured I'd find another shop....

it better be close

not much room to sit on it like this.

A couple of people joked with me about how much stuff I was piling on the bike. You gotta do what you gotta do right?

I found a shop that could work on the bike on Monday, so I found a hotel to hunker down in for a while. Got some errands to run anyway.

My beards been bothering me for a little bit, itchy when my helmet is riding up against it.

So I figured I'd do something about that.

Not the best way to shave off a couple months of facial har, but it gets the job done

No shaving cream, just soap. 45 minutes and a good bit of pain later.

mmmmm nice and clean.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:33 PM   #111
RSalvarez
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
almost in mexico

Now caution with the aduana, the temporal importation will take some time and must be in the usa before, others raiders can guide you ask .
use the DECLARAR line, you will se a kind of light stop GREEN is you can go
RED is go to declare.. if you try to pass the red light yhe will impound all your stuff, if cross by mexicali-calexico send a message, the importation must be from the us side before the crossing
caution and fun

RSalvarez screwed with this post 10-14-2007 at 10:39 PM
RSalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:46 PM   #112
funklab OP
high plains drifter

Hmmmm.

I have crossed into Mexico before, and I had to go thru the green light, then stop and go inside to get the temporary import permit and go thru migracion.

At some crossings I have to do that on the US side?????

Anybody know specifically about the Tecate crossing???

Thanks

Old 10-16-2007, 08:46 PM   #113
RiverRat
Endless Chores

Oddometer: 3,836
Hey Funky!

RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:31 PM   #114
funklab OP
high plains drifter

Day 49 Saturday October 13

San Diego, CA

Didnt do much today, ran some errands, got some new contacts and a couple of things I need to get before hitting those non-english speaking countries.

no pics, sorry

Old 10-17-2007, 09:35 PM   #115
funklab OP
high plains drifter

Day 50 Sunday October 14

San Diego, CA

Got some clothes washed and ran more errands today. Again no pics.

I met a guy from Charlotte at the laundromat though, that was kinda wierd. He went to highschool right down the street from where I used to work.

Found an internet gaming center that let me update things a little. Also got to play some Halo 3 for a little bit, and my friends from Charlotte were online. It was cool playing with them for a little while, felt almost like I was at home.

Ate dinner at a place called Reveles Mexican, Italian, and American food... thats a pretty good mix!

Old 10-17-2007, 09:43 PM   #116
funklab OP
high plains drifter

Day 51 Monday October 15

San Diego, CA

The first four words in my journal for today are "F#$& F$%^ MORTHER F##$" which sums up my evaluation of UPS. I will do my best to never use them again.

I spent pretty much all day dealing with UPS and in the end they still wouldnt get me my package, so I'll have to come back on Tuesday (guaranteed for delivery by Friday.

I got up early and found the shop that was going to work on my bike. The owner, Rich, got to work on my bike first thing, and since I asked to watch, he even explained everything that he was doing while he was doing it. He was a really cool guy, and even gave me an MRE, seemed really excited to hear about my trip.

I actually found some decent gloves today though, its so hard to find gloves that dont have a huge seam on the inside at the tip of the finger.

Got a battery and had it charged.

I ended up back at UPS for the 3rd time from 8:00 - 9:30pm all so they could tell me to come back the next day. So I had to get a hotel for the night and wait.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:48 PM   #117
funklab OP
high plains drifter

Day 52 Tuesday October 16

Valley Center, CA

I got up this morning and called the UPS store at 7:00. Talked to the manager and got him to personally go and get the package, which they had put back on the truck, when they were supposed to keep it at the hub for delivery (for the second time). I actually got the package, !

I brought it back to the room and tried to sort things out.

I found out that my message to some ADVers around San Diego the other day had not gone thru. So I tried again. I sent a PM to River Rat, and before I could get any other PMs sent, he got back with me.

it went something like this.

"hey, I'm from out of town, and I'm tryin to find a place to work on my bike. Can I come over today"

"yeah, sure... beers in the fridge"

I ran some errands, and rode over to meet River Rat in the evening. True to his word I was greeted with a big smile and some cold coronas.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:54 AM   #118
salcar
Riding 4 Health

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by funklab

I found out that my message to some ADVers around San Diego the other day had not gone thru. So I tried again. I sent a PM to River Rat, and before I could get any other PMs sent, he got back with me.

it went something like this.

"hey, I'm from out of town, and I'm tryin to find a place to work on my bike. Can I come over today"

"yeah, sure... beers in the fridge"

I ran some errands, and rode over to meet River Rat in the evening. True to his word I was greeted with a big smile and some cold coronas.
San Diego ADVs ROCK!!!
Old 10-19-2007, 02:03 PM   #119
RiverRat
Endless Chores

Oddometer: 3,836
I am not sure where to post this but Josh (funklab) got hurt real bad yesterday. He suffered a spinal cord injury and can't feel or move his legs. His fight isn't to get to South America anymore it is to live and deal with an unknown future. I just visited him at the hospital and he could use our support. His Mom and Dad are flying into CA today or tommorow from South Carolina. Tomorrow I will have more info.

RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #120
massspec
-mah

Oddometer: 132
Oh No! This is such terrible news. Just last night I caught up on your thread and was so excited about the next leg of your journey. Josh, my thoughts and prayers are with you. If there is anything I can do to help please don't hesitate to ask.

Take care,
Mike

massspec is online now   Reply With Quote