User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2015, 09:50 AM   #1
jrozar OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Motoz Mountain Hybrid Review

Hopefully this will help some of you that have questions about the MotoZ Mountain Hybrid.

I ride a KTM with a Thumper Racing 525 big bore, am an intermediate rider, and ride in the Southern Nevada area.

I have run an MT 43 for the last three years without switching to another brand of rear tire. I could easily get 750 miles out of the MT43 or more

I run 10 PSI rear...

So far comparing the two tires I can say that the MotoZ sticks in the motocrss style corners better and steep downhills it doesnt slide out as much as the MT43

I ride mostly single track, gravel, whoops, steep hills and some faster double track. The tire did very well with everything i threw at it and I will need more time.

1.8 hours later

Same terrain rocks, gravel, hills with rock ledges, whoops etc.. typical desert terrain..

Starting to chunk some..

So far Im pleased with the tire but I dont think it is going to last like the MT43 in our terrain.

It does outperform the MT43 in corners and downhills.

1.5 Hours later

Chunking is starting take a toll....

More center knobs getting ready to let loose..

This is what the tire looks like after 6.1 hours of riding, the jury is still out if teh extra traction will be worth the life of the Hybrid compared to a MT 43

Center Knobs

Side Knobs

jrozar screwed with this post 02-13-2015 at 02:17 PM
jrozar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
400psi
Cropdusting

Oddometer: 519
Wow! Thanks for taking the time to do the hourly reviews. This is helpful.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:27 PM   #3
juddspaintballs
Never too many bikes

Oddometer: 566
The tire looks pretty chewed up already. That's not what I was expecting. I have one brand new on the rim waiting until my hand heals enough to ride. I'm also doing other work on the bike at the moment, but even if I was healed and the bike was together, it's 8F outside and that's just too cold.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:42 PM   #4
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 3,361
so the venerable kenda 270 may still be at the top for this type tire?
2 SPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:08 PM   #5
jrozar OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
so the venerable kenda 270 may still be at the top for this type tire?
Glad you mentioned that...

I thought the same when I received it and took a picture of it next to my buddies XR650 who is running the Kenda 270...

Now a comparison with a MT 43 that I had a LOT of miles on, on the same terrain / course the MotoZ was on..

MT 43 No chunking and wore down to 1/8 of an inch next to the new MotoZ

jrozar screwed with this post 02-13-2015 at 02:15 PM
Old 02-13-2015, 02:23 PM   #6
jrozar OP
Studly Adventurer

I have about 60 miles total on the tire....The last two rides were a total of 8.1 miles each for a total of 16.2 miles where you see the most chunking. Now it isnt an easy terrain, it has a lot of up hill and down hill rock ledges...

Looks like I will be changing a rear tire with every 10 hour oil change if I continue to run the MotoZ..

I will run it again because running one does not give me a good review of the tire..

I have a second on backorder, hopefully I can get it in before Im ready for a rear change, if not...availabilty plays a big part with me running a rear tire. I like to get to know the tire and keep it so Im not guessing on performance.

When I test my tires I have a set course that I run, adjust pressures, etc...

jrozar screwed with this post 02-13-2015 at 02:32 PM
Old 02-13-2015, 03:18 PM   #7
mflora98ss
Dual Sportin'

Oddometer: 626
Thanks for taking the time to review this tire. I'll be watching to see if you have any better results with the next tire.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:05 PM   #8
jrozar OP
Studly Adventurer

It's on back order so if it isn't here by the time this one goes bald it's back to the mt 43 or hopefully the Kenda equilibrium...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mflora98ss View Post
Thanks for taking the time to review this tire. I'll be watching to see if you have any better results with the next tire.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:00 AM   #9
400psi
Cropdusting

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by mflora98ss View Post
Me too! Thanks again.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:18 AM   #10
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,419
Cool on ya for doing the great review . . .
Old 02-14-2015, 09:03 AM   #11
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Nice desert review. For a difference in perspective, it would be good to see another review from somebody who rides eastern woods, as our terrain is different than out west.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:09 PM   #12
TIGERRIDER007
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,096
I'm with Fullmonte, I think this tire would have a longer life around the north Georgia/TN/NC mountain areas.
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:34 PM   #13
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Guy in TN has one and is posting updates on TT. Says he has 300 miles on his with very little wear.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/102...ad/?p=12197198

I only have about 60 miles on mine and most of that has been in a few inches of snow. Pretty happy with it so far.

Some shenanigans on a small hill in the snow.

09 Husky WR165 - VCHSS #79L
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:29 PM   #14
Dozer Dillon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
tire

I think I'll stick with the MT43. Last way longer and I can almost buy 2 MT43's for the price of the MotoZ.
Blue Ribbon
COHVCO
Dozer Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #15
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 1,069
I already posted this in the vendor's thread, but here is my take thus far in a dual sport application:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
I mounted the Mountain Hybrid to my 690 and another on my buddy's Husky 630, both purchased from Dual Sport Armory. We went for a ~250 mile dual sport ride on Sunday as the tires' maiden voyage. The first ~50 miles were all highway and the tire did not do anything funny, I did skid pretty easily, but I'll blame that on the tire not being scrubbed in yet and too much air pressure (started at 20psi!.. oops) initially.

From there we did about 10 miles of dirt road before coming to our first bit of real dirt. I dropped the pressure to 15psi at this point.

Once on the singletrack, the tire worked pretty much as I had hoped, a little more grip/ flotation than the MT43 in the loose stuff (there is an open pit kitty litter mine here to give you an idea of the dirt's consistency) and every bit as much traction on the rock that we encountered this time out.

The 525 has an MT43 mounted and it stepped out with very little throttle input which required lifting the back end back on the trail, the 690 and 630 went right through:

The area is "open" riding so we did venture into a few rock beds where the Motoz pulled me through even when I "knew" I was was going to loose traction... it never did. In fact, it had enough traction to bog the motor in 2nd gear in loose shale.

Braking was, again, just like I expected... better than the MT43, but not as good as a typical knobby. I had enough traction to come to a stop on the downhill pictured below, when I had an MT43 mounted I just did a "controlled" slide the whole way down.

After about 20 miles of similar terrain, we headed out on a ~50 mile dirt road getting up to as fast as 85mph in quite a few sections. Nothing strange to report.

Back on the asphalt, it started raining like crazy! It continued to rain in frog-strangling proportions for the rest (about 100 miles) of our ride. I slowed down to well under the speed limit for most of the next stretch of highway because... well, I'm riding a motorcycle in the rain! Our next section of trail had all the rain gates closed so we only got in 12 miles of light mud with a newly forming "creek" zig zagging the entire length of the forest service shelf road. The front tire let loose before the rear in the mud (though I admittedly was due for a new tire... the new one is mounted now.)

After returning home I can see that even 15psi is more than I need even on my 328lb dualsport, I'm only using ~1 1/2" of the center of the tire on the highway. The tread siping is "feathered" a little in that section of tire. I will drop down several psi next time out and see how that does. I ran the MT43 at 11psi on this bike. I've got a few cuts in the tread, and the 630 managed to chunk one knob. I didn't get in as much good dirt riding as I had hoped, but I am pleased with how it performs so far. I think this will be a perfect dualsport tire but the jury is still out as to whether or not one will be going on my 300.

Another thing to note, on my 2.5" rear wheel, the tread measured 140mm, on the Husky's 2.15" wheel it measured 135mm at the widest point! This definitely is not your typical 120!

Side view mounted on the 690: