User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
AKjitsu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Shoie RF-1200: Caution.

So, tried the new RF-1200 as a potential replacement for my trusty RF-1100. All in all, it’s a worthy upgrade. Better ventilation and quieter. And the included Pinlock is always a plus. One major problem, at least for where I ride. Some genius at Shoie apparently decided that their dark face shield was no longer fashion worthy. The new “dark smoke” is just barely tinted at all. Here in the desert, we count on shield tinting to not only keep us from being blinded, but also to keep in-helmet temperatures from going through the roof and as a solid defense against photo radar.

So, it’s bye-bye RF-1200 and back to my RF-1100. Fortunately, I purchased from Revzilla so all is good.
AKjitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #2
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,875
Hmmmmmm,doesnt having a pinlock standard mean you can put in a dark tint insert?
Old 02-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,485
I am not a fan of the pinlock insert due to the multiple refraction. 2 headlights become 16 headlights.

For a tinted pinlock, it doesn't cover the whole field of view, you still have a bright frame around the dark insert.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
AKjitsu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Hmmmmmm,doesnt having a pinlock standard mean you can put in a dark tint insert?
Yes of course. Which one would presumably put in the clear shield. I'm talking about the optional "dark tint" shield; that ain't.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
scootertrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Just take the RF-1200 shield to a good window tinter. Are you sure you got the darkest tint offered? There's no reason to not offer the same tint gradients they always have.
scootertrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:25 AM   #6
tlempke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I have the RF 1200 and am waiting for the photochromic "transitions" shield to come out. The dark smoke wasn't dark enough? I see that Shoei has the light, mellow and dark smoke as their tinted shields.
tlempke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:40 AM   #7
McBoab
Fast side of farty

Oddometer: 309
Try the GT-Air it has a drop down dark visor so doesn't need the full dark face shield?
Old 02-11-2014, 04:38 AM   #8
AKjitsu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrog View Post
Just take the RF-1200 shield to a good window tinter. Are you sure you got the darkest tint offered? There's no reason to not offer the same tint gradients they always have.
The package definitely said "Dark Smoke". You can imagine my surprise when I took it out of the package and saw what I saw. I suppose some designer saw that the old and tried tint worked just fine and just couldn't resist screwing with it.

Has anybody actually tried aftermarket tinting a face shield? I'd be curious as to how they would work around the hinge mounting thingamajigs.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:42 AM   #9
AKjitsu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoab View Post
Try the GT-Air it has a drop down dark visor so doesn't need the full dark face shield?
I have a GT-Air that I use in the winter and for long trips up north when I have no idea what weather we're going to run into. A splendid tool for those applications. Problem here in the desert is that in the warmer months when the sun is at it's fiercest, a non-tinted face shield is going to result in astronomical in-helmet temperatures.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:26 AM   #10
scootertrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKjitsu View Post
The package definitely said "Dark Smoke". You can imagine my surprise when I took it out of the package and saw what I saw. I suppose some designer saw that the old and tried tint worked just fine and just couldn't resist screwing with it.

Has anybody actually tried aftermarket tinting a face shield? I'd be curious as to how they would work around the hinge mounting thingamajigs.
I'd try to verify that the shield was packaged correctly. I'm willing to bet they made a packaging mistake. As for the tint, they should be able to trim it away from interference areas.
scootertrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:28 AM   #11
dasrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
That sucks if it's true.

I have been a Shoei fan for a long time. I've purchased and worn their TZ-R, RF1000 and most recently X-11 for years now. I was on the verge of getting a closeout RF1100, but the costs of their shields is just too much imo. Now their RF1200 shields are $54 for the basic tints?

I snagged myself a nice Bell RS-1 with their more reasonably priced shields at $40. I know it's only $14 and sure costs are going appreciate over the years, but when you're trying to stretch your dollars every one of them counts.

Ok, sorry, rant off.
dasrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #12
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,456
transitions shield delayed until april.

the 'dark smoke' is lighter than the ones for arai.

so that's why the pinlock packaging says day time use only.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #13
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,473
I'll bet that was a light smoke shield in the wrong packaging. I used to work in motorcycle accessories retail and have seen that happen.

Shame you returned the helmet over it. That seems a little extreme.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #14
BigTony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Slightly tangential but I think it fits under the post heading

For those fellow large headed riders:
The xxl rf1200 is smaller than the xxl rf1100

I think it's because the rf1100 had more shell sizes and the xxl shared with the xxxl. But they don't make an xxxl rf1200 and the xxl shares a shell with the xl
Crap!
BigTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:26 AM   #15
AKjitsu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
I'll bet that was a light smoke shield in the wrong packaging. I used to work in motorcycle accessories retail and have seen that happen.

Shame you returned the helmet over it. That seems a little extreme.
I may have to call Revzilla and ask them to check into that. Aside from the tint issue, the helmet was more than satisfactory.

Folks who don't live here have no idea just how fierce the Arizona sun is during the warmer months. If you get dumb and leave your cage parked out in the sun and forget to leave a window crocked open, you may just come out later and find your windows have exploded outward. Imagine what's going on inside a full face helmet with a clear face shield exposed to the sun.