User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #1
double_entendre OP
Ticking away the....

Oddometer: 3,857
Windscreens, buffeting and pillion riders

My wife has mentioned that she gets a lot of buffeting from the wind at speed on both my FJR1300 and my GSA.

I solved the problem on the latter by going to a Wunderlich Flowjet, but that doesn't work once I'm over about 60mph. Over that speed or so, the wind blast knocks me backwards and I have to hang onto the bars or hunch forward sportbike style.

What's a solution? A huge Gold Wing windscreen? I'm not anxious to look through a windscreen that big (as opposed to over the OEM screens). Or just don't go on roads where I have to go over 60mph?

I shot an email to Cee Bailey asking if they'd done any wind tunnel testing, but never heard back.

Thoughts? Thinking about a ride that will include a blast up Interstate 5 to San Francisco, but doing that with the Wunderlich would be murder.
Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM   #2
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,924
I have a cee baily screen on my gs 1200. Its the tallest they made for that bike. I'm 6'5" and it works pretty good for buffetting. That said, I just got a new goldwing and put on a 6"+ cee baily screen that I look through. I would rather look through a shield than have the top edge floating around in the middle of my field of vision. I have had good luck with cee baily screens and have had many. They are usually good optically with no "funhouse mirror" effect. Nothing beats the huge barn door on the goldwing for quietness. I've battled buffeting on any bike I ever had with a windscreen because of my height and its kind of nice to not have to worry about it on that bike.

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM   #3
double_entendre OP
Ticking away the....

Oddometer: 3,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger View Post
I have a cee baily screen on my gs 1200. Its the tallest they made for that bike. I'm 6'5" and it works pretty good for buffetting. That said, I just got a new goldwing and put on a 6"+ cee baily screen that I look through. I would rather look through a shield than have the top edge floating around in the middle of my field of vision. I have had good luck with cee baily screens and have had many. They are usually good optically with no "funhouse mirror" effect. Nothing beats the huge barn door on the goldwing for quietness. I've battled buffeting on any bike I ever had with a windscreen because of my height and its kind of nice to not have to worry about it on that bike.
Well you dwarf me (5'8"), but I'm with you on the windscreen cutting through my field of view. Drives me batty.

I just paypalled an inmate for a huge screen and figure if it works I'll use it with the wife but otherwise it sits in the garage. If it doesn't work, well, back to the flea market it goes.
Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM   #4
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,077
Have you looked at the Aeroflow website? http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/index.htm

I have had good success with their products.

Also look at CalSci They have some good products/info http://www.calsci.com/

sugarhillctd on the
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote