Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #1516
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaymienRules View Post
just like winching in the dunes. dig a hole, tie your line to the heaviest thing you can find, then bury it. instant anchor. or just start taking the bike apart and carry back to the road piece by piece. you said hours right?

Interesting. But with packed gravel or vegetation though, I think I would carry a half dozen 10" heavy duty nails (or tent stakes) and hope for a rock nearby to hammer them at a slight angle. The rest is trivial:
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #1517
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Interesting. But with packed gravel or vegetation though, I think I would carry a half dozen 10" heavy duty nails (or tent stakes) and hope for a rock nearby to hammer them at a slight angle. The rest is trivial:
If you are really that worried about getting stuck get a couple of duckbill anchors and a inserting rod and be done with it. I have used them for anchoring trees and once set they are solid and don't weigh much.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #1518
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
i have been a clamptite user for about 16 yrs now.. i have what would be the $29 version. i think it was $14 back then, anyway i like it and it works.
I have one issue, what if you need to wrap something but don't have the room for the swing motion at the end? Like say you needed to clamp a fuel line or a radiator hose in between some headers.

Actually I think I just answered my own question, do you start with the 90 degree turn and then clip off when done?

It looks to be better than a safety wire plier simply because you can use more than one strand and you can use any wire, even a coat hanger.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #1519
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
Duckbill anchor
That is GREAT, I've been thinking of what to use as a tent\shelter anchor in Black Rock City, digging 25 holes for dead man anchors in calcified sand did not sound like fun.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #1520
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,300
thats happened to me a few times, obviously its not the end all be all to every situation. there are ways to get around it sometimes, like pressing the wire the rest of the way down with side dykes, ect.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #1521
John E
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
Alternatively...

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Actually duct taped to a tire iron will work perfectly. Thank you.
Put a piece of heat shrink tubing over it and shrink it. Covers the teeth and you can use it without taking the tubing off, just start sawing.

I'm trying to come up with some sort of detachable saw blade handle made out of another tool.

"1952 Vincent Black Lightning"
Richard Thompson
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #1522
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
Actually I think I just answered my own question, do you start with the 90 degree turn and then clip off when done?
I finally bought one and have been clamping things around the house that I didn't know (prior to purchase) needed clamping.

The tool can also be used for a single wire clamp which uses a different motion to finish the clamp. See http://clamptool.com/pages/single.html
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #1523
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
That clamptite thingy looks slick, is there much of a difference between that and say a pair of safety wire pliers?
safety wire pliers just twist the wire. The wire tightens-up a little bit as it's twisted, but nothing like it would with a tool like that. Looks like a really useful tool and I'd love to have one, but $40 for the aluminum version and it's almost $50 by the time you add shipping... will have to think about that.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #1524
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
safety wire pliers just twist the wire. The wire tightens-up a little bit as it's twisted, but nothing like it would with a tool like that. Looks like a really useful tool and I'd love to have one, but $40 for the aluminum version and it's almost $50 by the time you add shipping... will have to think about that.
I've seen them at fairs and other events. I have one and really like it. And I did think about it for a year after first seeing it before I purchased one for $30 as I recall.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #1525
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
Hi,

Here is a rather specific problem for I would like you guys to suggest out of the box ideas...

You are alone (likely for hours), no buddy with you, nor vehicle passing by to help or serve as an anchor, and you are not so desperate yet as to hit your spot tracker 'help' button...

Your bike is in a ditch on the side of the road, steep enough that you can't ride it up.

There is no road sign pole, no guard rail pillar, no trees near the road i.e. nothing to tie a rope and pulley system to drag your bike (although you may have carried such equipment).

How do you get it back up to the road?

Thanks!

PS: Don't think this is a rare setup; road sides are usually clear of trees and enclosed between muddy trenches, as you well know. So, I'm thinking about some anchor (or many anchors to spread the force) to nail in the ground, but I can't imagine carrying so much weight, hammer and all...
call a friend. or a tow truck if you have no friends.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #1526
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,452
Quote:
Hi,

Here is a rather specific problem for I would like you guys to suggest out of the box ideas...

You are alone (likely for hours), no buddy with you, nor vehicle passing by to help or serve as an anchor, and you are not so desperate yet as to hit your spot tracker 'help' button...

Your bike is in a ditch on the side of the road, steep enough that you can't ride it up.

There is no road sign pole, no guard rail pillar, no trees near the road i.e. nothing to tie a rope and pulley system to drag your bike (although you may have carried such equipment).

Thanks!

PS: Don't think this is a rare setup; road sides are usually clear of trees and enclosed between muddy trenches, as you well know. So, I'm thinking about some anchor (or many anchors to spread the force) to nail in the ground, but I can't imagine carrying so much weight, hammer and all...

Use yourself as both the anchor and the winch. You need two smallish holes you can dig your heels into. Sit down facing the bike and put the rope around your hips (a strap is much more comfortable). You want a prussic rig on the rope. Then with your legs almost at full extension push back to drag the bike a few inches. Tighten the rope, scoot forward, and repeat. With your legs close to full extension you can easily exert 450-500 lbs of force or more.

With an entrenching tool you can bury a wheel or your helmet as an anchor (like on the far side of the road) or use the tool itself as an anchor. You can also cut a diagonal ramp you can ride up depending on the ditch. The Glock entrenching tool with the saw in the handle is one of the more versatile pieces of gear you can carry.

This one is cheap:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/186...vc=subv1635772

Just make sure you can pull on the handle or drill a carabiner hole in the blade.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #1527
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
Use yourself as both the anchor and the winch. You need two smallish holes you can dig your heels into. Sit down facing the bike and put the rope around your hips (a strap is much more comfortable). You want a prussic rig on the rope. Then with your legs almost at full extension push back to drag the bike a few inches. Tighten the rope, scoot forward, and repeat. With your legs close to full extension you can easily exert 450-500 lbs of force or more.

With an entrenching tool you can bury a wheel or your helmet as an anchor (like on the far side of the road) or use the tool itself as an anchor. You can also cut a diagonal ramp you can ride up depending on the ditch. The Glock entrenching tool with the saw in the handle is one of the more versatile pieces of gear you can carry.

This one is cheap:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/186...vc=subv1635772

Just make sure you can pull on the handle or drill a carabiner hole in the blade.

Interesting. Although I would never play the anchor trying to pull 500lbs up a 30+ degrees incline (best way to plummet to a worst situation...), I can certainly see how this can drag a heavy load on a slightly inclined surface as the load could rest in place after each pull.

Your setup implies tying the prussic to an anchor in order to "scoot forward". Back to the anchor problem...

Ok, thanks! I won`t hijack the thread further. Let`s move on.
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #1528
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,685
Quote:
Interesting. Although I would never play the anchor trying to pull 500lbs up a 30+ degrees incline (best way to plummet to a worst situation...), I can certainly see how this can drag a heavy load on a slightly inclined surface as the load could rest in place after each pull.

Your setup implies tying the prussic to an anchor in order to "scoot forward". Back to the anchor problem...

Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #1529
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,452
Quote:

It's an interesting issue, what kind of self rescue gear is in the toolkit? Maybe your tire irons are pointy on one end so you can hammer them in? Maybe your tool tube has an eye in the middle (of a side) so you can bury it in a T trench? I winched a transmission out of a truck (came out the inside) using a long rope around every scrawny shrub in the yard...

I was assuming you could do a pull where the vehicle wouldn't slip back.

If you got a 500 lb off road machine, I'd take it apart....or carry a good shovel and a come-along.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:22 AM   #1530
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 6,424
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!

This got me thinking. First, I hope I'm on the Ural. No hill too steep, and if it is, I've got one of these in the trunk.

I've used it before even by myself. I put myself in a pretty stupid situation with a bald tire. I could have swapped to the spare, but it was a good opportunity to play. I connected it to the rear sidecar mount with the cable running forward. After throttling the bike forward as far as it would go, I would reach down and crank the heck out of it so I wouldn't slide back. Rinse and repeat until you're out of the mess.

Now, assuming I had this available, how would I do it on a two wheeler?

I would attach it to the rear of the frame, and route the cable through the front forks. This would serve to keep the bike on line. Then I would do the same procedure as above, and hopefully be able to duck walk it up the incline.

Then again, there is no way I'd likely have this thing on my two-wheelers.