Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2009, 03:37 AM   #511
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
my kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb
...Wondering if I can replace the 3/8" drive with a 1/4" drive? Are they sturdy enough to break loose most fasteners on the bike with 14mm and less head size????
Yes, and yes.

I pack this set from www.trailtoolz.com :

Plus their breaker bar, plus a snap-on 6" wide-mouth adjustable:

plus a Knipex 6" cobra channel lock:

plus a small vice grip... and I can strip as many nuts and threads as you can throw at me.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #512
heliyardsale
Always looking for Dirt!

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos
That's cool. What IS that container?
If you are talking about the survival Pill container its a water-proof boating container that can be found at most boat/marine stores. Its size is around 5 inches in length by 2" dia. I also keep 10ft of duct tape and 3ft of black electrical tape wrapped around the outside of the container. So far I've never had to crack the puppy open, but like tools, its better to have and not need, than need and be screwed because you do not have...
Heli
heliyardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #513
Solo Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Greetings all,

Looking for some insight if I may.

I do multi week long DS rides and currently carry a 3/8 drive sliding T-Handle wrench w/ swivel socket, extension, needed sockets, and wrenches for the bike, in addition to other tools.

Wondering if I can replace the 3/8" drive with a 1/4" drive? Are they sturdy enough to break loose most fasteners on the bike with 14mm and less head size without breaking their tiny 1/4 drive self???? Keep in mind for axles I have appropriate wrenches and would use a sliding t handle not a socket?

Thanks in advance.
In my worthless dumbassed opinion, I would keep the 3/8's drive t -handle, but get a reducer to 1/4" to plug into 1/4" drive extension/ sockets. brand goes along way here, cheap shit 1/4 drive stuff wont work.( be strong enough) but really the weight difference on a basic 3/8 set to 1/4 set aint much.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #514
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Thanks for the responses on the 1/4 inch drive stuff . My concern is the ability of the 1/4" to take the torque needed on the larger fasteners.

Dr Rock - Thats what I'm looking at. Now have you had to use it on bigger fasteners yet or have you been lucky enough not to have anything breakdown on your rides?

Solo Gato - Yes not much weight and space saved unless I use the t handle and extensions as well as the sockets, which is how I would do it. I'd get Craftsmen but still not quite convinced they could take the use thats why I'm looking for more peoples opinions and experiences.

Anyone else?
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #515
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,334
I decided to go with 1/4" drivers and use appropriate wrenches for anything bigger than 14mm. You can save quite a bit of weight with drivers and that stuff if you get creative...
jesusgatos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:33 AM   #516
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Dr Rock - Thats what I'm looking at. Now have you had to use it on bigger fasteners yet or have you been lucky enough not to have anything breakdown on your rides?
Yeah, right... nothing has ever broken down... That's a good one.

The set has proven itself plenty sturdy. It's not a cheap knock-off set... it's the real deal. Just to give you an idea at how sturdy they are, I had to swap the 10mm socket for a craftsman, 'cause I needed it to be a little thinner walled to fit into the nutwell that is part of one of our DRZ rear racks, and the trailtoolz one was too thick. BTW, I don't think it includes a 14mm.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #517
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Wondering if I can replace the 3/8" drive with a 1/4" drive? Are they sturdy enough to break loose most fasteners on the bike with 14mm and less head size without breaking their tiny 1/4 drive self???? Keep in mind for axles I have appropriate wrenches and would use a sliding t handle not a socket?
I had a 3/8 drive sliding T-handle. Decided to go with 1/4 drive. The 1/4 T-handle is actually taller than my 1/4 ratchet. Decided to go with a 1/4 breaker bar instead. Very low profile. Lower than the ratchet. Slow, not as fast as a ratchet, but it can take the torque better than a ratchet.

My sockets are 6 points, so, if arc swing is a problem in tight spaces, the situation will be even slower. 6 points allows a 60 degree arc swing. 12 points allows 30 degrees. I'll have to pull the socket off the breaker bar and rotate it on the square drive by 90 degrees to acheive the same 30 degree clearance. It'll be slow, if I get into that situation. I suppose I can carry the ratchet and the breaker bar. Hey, we're building the ultimate compact light weight tool kit right?

If 1/4 vs. 3/8 is the only issue, then the weight and volume saving would not amount to anything. Once you add the first aid kit, the tire plug kit, duct tape, electrical wire, bailing wires, general electrical repair kit, other emergency stuff like plastic sheet film blanket (good for repairs in the pouring rain or survive the desert sun, or God forbit, keep an injured person warm.), toilet paper, water, energy bars, etc. It all adds up. Al that stuff is critiacl and essential especially if you are traveling on your own. If you have others with you, unload some to them.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #518
xroad
Studly Adventurer

One Big Tool Missing rom My Tool Kit

One thing missing from my tool kit ... insufficient mechanical knowledge and experience. The tools I carry is more than what I can use in some cases. I keep carrying it because I might run into someone willing to help and know how to use the tools. It'll be ashame to have someone with mechanical know how but no tools.

xroad screwed with this post 03-08-2009 at 09:58 AM
xroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:20 PM   #519
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Awesome thanks for the feedback Dr. Rock. Just what I needed. Well that and a girl with big tits but thats another story.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that has to use his wrenches too often. You DRZ bastards are supposed to just be swilling shit in Starbucks and never worrying about your reliable bikes breaking down . I have the built in excuse of owning a KTM.

Xroad wrote:
Quote:
If 1/4 vs. 3/8 is the only issue, then the weight and volume saving would not amount to anything.
I do week long (and two, month long ones per year)DS rides in Thailand/Laos and Cambodia and my short arse on the KTM can't mount a fender tool bag or I'll never get on board, so tools are carried in my Camelback.

I've been battling back issues and want to get as much weight out of the Camelback as possible. Not that week and month long dirt bike rides have anything to do with my bad back, its the damn tools right .

I looked at TrailTools products and a breaker bar seems a bit redundant to me if you've got a sliding T-handle. If you need more leverage a 13mm box end over the sliding T-handle should do I figure. I would figure the weak link is the 1/4" drive nipple not the handle unless I'm overlooking something. And like you say the T-handle is quite a bit quicker than the breaker bar.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #520
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I've been battling back issues and want to get as much weight out of the Camelback as possible.

I would figure the weak link is the 1/4" drive nipple not the handle unless I'm overlooking something.
That is why I carry the 1/4 breaker bar instead of the 1/4 ratchet. I have stripped the ratchet gear a couple of times already. Both are approximately the same length. The ratchet have a bigger and slightly thicker head.

I am the same as for carrying weight on me, backpack or jacket pockets, I find myself only able to tolerate it for short rides. On long distance rides, like being on the bike all day, that extra apple, or metal dial air pressure gauge, becomes annoying. My lower back muscle would be screaming in pain by the end f the day. So I do what I can to get as much weight off me as possible. Like I said, I carry whole lot of other crap. Little reduction here or there all adds up. I even cut down the hadle on my tooth brush to reduce the volume.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:23 PM   #521
GiMoto Canada
KTM Submarine Capt.

Oddometer: 50
Manual

All of these tools are great, but if you don't know what the hell you are doing or how to trouble shoot, they can really save your ass.

I carry my manuals and torque specs on the Crackberry in PDF format. It also doubles as a phone
GiMoto Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #522
DirtRider1965
Rider

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliyardsale
Thanks all for sharing great info with us... Being a survival nut, I thought I would add this. If your bike really bites the big one and tools can't fix it, this is a nifty little survival kit you can stick in a pocket while you walk out.

Small LED light
water proof strike-on-anything matches
Boy Scout sparking flint
fish hooks, and 25lb test line on a sewing bobbin
Mason line 30ft
tea candle to keep fire burning in wet time, and for light/heat/water warming.
tin foil 10x10" sq folded, for cooking signaling
flat magnifer frenzel lens, fire starter, or looking at bugs if your lying around with a broken leg!
3 ft of Aluminum wire
small folding knife make a speer or cut stuff up
some firestarter material, help start wet firewood
asprin great for heart attacks or other pain
2 packets of sugar quick source of energy 200 Kcals worth to keep your brain happy for a day (remember your CNS runs on glucose as it's main source of fuel)
10ft of paracord style rope build shelters, drag wood, or other stuff, plus tie up the local hillbilly chick that wanders in to camp....
small button compass, to help find your way if your Garmin dies
12ft of bright orange plastic marking tape to find the bike you left, mark your trail, for signal for help if your Spot locating unit craps out...
finally, some cash, to entice a passerby for a ride or a cold beer.
I'm sure more could be added to a bigger container.
The pill-shaped container is water-proof, and also could be used as a cup for drinking or holding about 8oz of water if you hold both pieces underwater while filling and screwing it together.....
with that said, the let additions begin...
Heli

Great - you have enough US dollars for a coffee, which will go great with your sugar, followed by a nice dental flossing right before you use your fire started to set your bike on fire for insurance money and to signal a cab.
DirtRider1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:46 PM   #523
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
I don't think these puppies have been mentioned yet:

Motion Pro TiProLight titanium wrenches. Sucker that I am I'll probably go for the full set when they come out in June.

Description:
  • These super-light wrenches weight less than one quarter of the weight of standard steel wrenches
  • Made from tool-grade titanium alloy
  • Extremely lightweight and compact design is perfect for trail tool packs
  • Exclusive Motion Pro design for optimized strength and performance
  • Titanium alloy will never rust or corrode
  • Ergonomic handle
  • Laser etched markings for easy identification
  • Designed by Motion Pro
  • Not recommended for everyday shop use
  • Set includes 8 mm, 10 mm, 12 mm, and 14 mm wrenches
  • Patent pending
MSRP is $100, but I have seen them for $75 online.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #524
Nocode
Impassioned Rookie

Oddometer: 13
Maybe a little late, but I read someone mentioned that they're looking for a good way of storing documents safely on the bike. Someone else even mentioned Tyvek Housewrap. But go to your USPS office and grab an overnight priority mail envelope. It's Tyvek so it is waterproof and has great strength. I like to keep documents in one and tape it folded up under the seat or in the lid of a pannier.

They're free, and only a little illegal to use for anything but shipping.

Nocode screwed with this post 04-21-2009 at 06:43 AM
Nocode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:52 PM   #525
gatogato
Studly Adventurer

great thread
http://www.journeyrider.net
gatogato is offline   Reply With Quote